Any sax players on here?

What's Hot
Just wondered which models you favour and which sax forums you prefer?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    I've been dabbling with sax for a few months now, picked up a 2nd hand hanson alto for a good price not far from me. After the violin, it's a much easier instrument, but geez it's loud. 
    As for forums, sax on the web is good, mostly american but unlike some bluegrass forums I've been on, they are all pretty smart.
    For a UK based one, this is good: https://cafesaxophone.com/forums/

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• Yup, I like yamaha saxes, safe and boring, but well made and play well. Can't say I've bothered with looking for a forum though, just playing for fun these days,

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23919
    I played for years as a teenager / early 20s.

Then stopped.

Now my youngest spawn is having lessons so I'm playing again every now and again. Surprising how much comes back.

I'm not on any forums for it - I'm playing bass in a big band at the mo so there are plenty of sax players to answer my questions if I need it.
  • oafoaf Frets: 300
    I bought a Yanagisawa A991 years ago. Can't remember how much I paid (new) but don't think it was as much as they seem to be going for used these days! I think they have been replaced by the (A)WO range now.

Might be worth trying out a few Yanagisawa saxes, they're nicely made and finished.
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6594
    I've been playing sax for 38 years although my main instrument is clarinet.

Yamaha SS62 (I think) Soprano
    Selmer mkVI alto (1963)
    Selmer mkVI tenor (1960)
    Hanson baritone. 

I'm not on any fora for sax but I moderate a clarinet forum. 

GTC which is dedicated to Greek and Turkish clarinet styles and music. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I don't play Sax, but understand Yanagisawa are well thought of. I saw Jess Gillam (classical sax player / one of the BBC Young Musician Finalists in 2016) recently, and she uses them.
  • @BintyTwanger77 might offer some help here
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • @Chalky ;Depends what level you’re at, but either way I’d avoid wholly Chinese-made saxes. They are cheaper but not built to last. I’d recommend Yamaha or Elkhart: they’re robust, well-made instruments arms they sound great. I’d also get a separate mouthpiece of some kind, one that sits comfortably with your embouchure and gives you the tone you want.

I started sax at school, so I’ve always had a student sax of some kind. It’s set up for someone learning, and I’m so used to the ergonomics of that set-up that I’ve stuck with them.

I’m with @Teetonetal on this: Yamaha saxes are popular for a reason. I was using the Armstrong sax I got when I was 12-13 right up until about 2 years ago but the pads had really started to give way, so I got a Yahama YAS-280 to replace it. Great sax, very well made, but they key is to add a decent mouthpiece, and there are a wealth of those to try: Vandoren and Selmer are both worth a look.