Jazzmaster - top E string unwinding

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Gagaryn said:
    Just discovered these - longer wind to help alleviate the problem - https://www.homeoftone.co.uk/collections/best-sellers/products/the-gts-co-gt-rounds-11-50

These are the strings I use on my AV65 Jazzmaster and I can say they come highly recommended... I had exactly the same problem, tried using Fender Bullets for a while and that was okay, but this solved it entirely. Last set I had on lasted a good six months, I had to change them because they rusted. They stay sounding great for a really long time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 658
    I had same issue on my 64 Jag. I flipped the screw and problem ceased..... knocking on 5 years now.
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4169
    Thread revival.

This happened to me again tonight on my JM. Twice. First the high E string unravelled at the ball end. I replaced that then bugger me the B string snapped at the ball end.

High E is not rubbing on the domed screw head. And the B string is certainly not.

What is this witchcraft?

D'Addario 10s for what it's worth.
  • Daddario strings do have a habit of the high e unwinding on JMs and jags. 
    You can solder the string wind to stop it happening apparently. I use daddarios but dont bother since I've only had the unwind happen about three times in four years of playing JMs. 

The snapped b string was most likely just bad luck tbh. 
    Daddario strings do have a habit of the high e unwinding on JMs and jags.
    But why? If it's not rubbing on the screw head?
    You can solder the string wind to stop it happening apparently.
    Yes, done that now.
  • Philtre said:
    But why? If it's not rubbing on the screw head?
    I think they just don't have enough winds on the high e so they slip. I guess that's it anyways. Or they just aren't wound tight enough. 
    Mine aren't rubbing on the screw head either. 
  • Run a file through the tail piece 
    They develop Spurs from time to time and that's what's snapping the string(s)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Run a file through the tail piece 
    You mean the holes where the strings go through?
  • Philtre said:
    You mean the holes where the strings go through?
    Yes
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    I've soldered the end twists on the Es and Bs on my Jazzmaster and Jag AVRI '65s now. See how that goes.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8678
    You can solder the string wind to stop it happening apparently. I use daddarios but dont bother since I've only had the unwind happen about three times in four years of playing JMs. 

The snapped b string was most likely just bad luck tbh. 

I had a similar problem in a Parker Fly. Filing the sharp edge off the bit that holds the string ball solved the problem. It appeared to be a combination of the bridge profile and a particular month’s production batches.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    I've been gigging a JM for a couple of years now and never had a problem till reading this thread.
    Saturday night, top E kept going flat every song.  Unwinding.
    What weird voodoo is this?
    Grunfeld said:
    I've been gigging a JM for a couple of years now and never had a problem till reading this thread.
    Saturday night, top E kept going flat every song.  Unwinding.
    What weird voodoo is this?
    The curse of the JM E string thread strikes again...
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    And it's not even as if it's under any real tension....
    I play 008s dropped to Eb!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Grunfeld said:
    And it's not even as if it's under any real tension....
    I play 008s dropped to Eb!

On a JM? Wowzer!
    Time to revive this thread!

I got fed up with the E strings rubbing on the tremolo plate screws on my Jaguar AVRi '65 so I took it apart and reversed the two outer screws. As far as I can tell the top plate screw holes are threaded so should be good to go.

If I break a string now it'll have to be a burr on the inside of the string holes or I blame D'addario strings. I'll not solder the string windings yet so I can see if reversing the screws solves the problem.
  • LPManicLPManic Frets: 1083
    edited February 2020
    The trick on JMs is to insert the string through the peg hole as normal but then to pass it over the peg in between the ridge and only then wrap it around the peg normally. That reduces if not eliminates slippage.