Sanding a fretted fretboard?

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7484
edited April 2014 in Making & Modding
Started work on the bass, and will be buying more sandpaper today.

HHowever the fretboard is pretty rough - just needs sanding a bit. How do you do this? I've done the top 5 with 3200 and 6000 grit micro mesh, and it's much better but I feel like I need to start at a coarser grit and work up to these to get a perfect finish.

Also, how do you get right tight to the frets?

I was considering wire wool, but that shit gets everywhere...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GuitarMonkeyGuitarMonkey Frets: 1883
    Gently scrape along the grain with a Stanley blade, then wirewool and oil across the grain.

That's what I do anyway.
  • GSPBASSESGSPBASSES Frets: 2339
    edited April 2014 tFB Trader
    Not sure if I would try to use sand paper on a fretted fingerboard, that neck would have been sanded to 1500 grit before it was fretted but has now been laying around the work shop for about 5 years so the roughness is most likely only imbedded dust. I would try Lemmon oil first using paper towel. If that dose not work then Lemmon oil with wire wool.

Your life will improve when you realise it’s better to be alone than chase people who do not really care about you. Saying YES to happiness means learning to say NO to things and people that stress you out.

https://www.facebook.com/grahame.pollard.39/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Lemon oil with ultra fine wire wool seems to be working quite nicely! Cheers guys.
  • Yup, it's wonderful now. Cheers lads :) dang this fretboard is shiny.