Solo of the Month (SotM) #45 - Chat

stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2177
edited February 2019 in Making Music
This is the 45th solo of the Month (SotM) Challenge.

The challenge is now open, and remains open for submissions until 11:30pm on 21st February 2019.

Here's this month's backing track (you can download it from soundcloud). Record your solo over the top of it and then submit it (ideally in mp3 format) to solos@theFB.co.uk
Also, feel free to comment on how you approached the solo, which will add a bit more interest and maybe we can learn something from each other.

Discussion: This is an attempt at Progressive Rock.

Tempo:125bpm

Chart below:

The backing track has some headroom to add your solos. Add your solo and (as a guideline) try to avoid boosting the overall level beyond that if possible. That way the entries should be at roughly the same level and we won't get into loudness wars.

Voting will start soon after the submission deadline, with each voter selecting their 1st, 2nd and 3rd choice.
First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point
The order and scores of the top three entries will be announced soon after the voting ends. If there are 8 or more entries, then the order and scores of those in the top half will be announced.

No prizes. It's just for fun.

As people submit their entries, I'll post them below to hopefully promote some discussion on approaches used for the solo:

https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/sotm45-2019-02

It's not a competition.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Sent In.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • ooh another sneaky time sig!
  • Sent In.
    Received. That's the first. I'll post a playlist when there's another entry.

It's not a competition.
  • Done mine. Two entries in the playlist in the original post.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry submitted.

I'm still struggling with amp modelling software within my acceptable budget of FOC.  Normally I use Cubase (5) with either DI from my live rig, or just some basic Ccubase FX.  However, this time I've used a free full rig within Amplitube using Reaper, just for a change.  And guess what, I sound exactly the same as usual.  Lol.
  • Entry submitted.

Added to playlist. That makes 3 entries.

It's not a competition.
  • Sent in. Inspired by Ed Wynne, not sure what scale it’s in. A bit rough but better than my last attempt I think. 
    Really enjoying these challenges, good for focusing playing and learning how to record. 
  • Sent in. 
    Added to playlist. 4 entries so far.
    It's not a competition.
  • Entry closes tonight at 11.30pm.

It's not a competition.
  • Entry closed.
    It's not a competition.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Darn it completely mis-read the closing date on this one.
  • markv said:
    Darn it completely mis-read the closing date on this one.
    Sorry about that. I set the closing date to allow a week for the voting to complete by the end of the month. And February is a short month so it's a bit earlier than usual.

You can submit if you want to while the voting is underway, provided that you accept that you might lose out on some votes from those those that have already voted.

I'll be starting the voting sometime today if all goes to plan.
    It's not a competition.
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    Thanks @stratman3142 - I have a couple of rough ideas but nothing near ready for submission. And I'm trying to finish my cover challenge track too. And the kids seem to want to spend time with me, for some reason.
  • Baws. I was going to record mine on Saturday night....
    Well you can send one if you're happy to possibly lose out some votes from those that have voted by that time.
    It's not a competition.
    Well you can send one if you're happy to possibly lose out some votes from those that have voted by that
    time

Thanks. I'd probably go for it if it was a genre I was comfortable with but I think I'll use the time for the composition challenge instead