Update - 1 actual none demo track!

What's Hot
joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
edited June 2020 in Plug My Stuff
Ok slight correction to the title, I like all 3... but one stands out and sticks in my head.

Please roast, I need the feedback.

I've recorded and mixed (use the term lightly) the songs all alone in my office/studio.

Surrounded by Shadows is by farrr by favourite!

Thanks all!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• spark240spark240 Frets: 2073
    Hi !....so....it sounds reasonable on the iPad, I’ll try monitors later.

a couple of things stand out for me....the double track vocal ( or FX) is a bit OTT all the way through, just loses the effect, also I could rally tell where verses and chorus start or stop....?

Overall a very 80,s feel to the arrangement and general sound....maybe that’s what you wanted?

all that said,....it’s a lot of work to get a song completed so good job !

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
     https://www.studiowear.co.uk/ -
     https://twitter.com/spark240
     Facebook - m.me/studiowear.co.uk
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    @spark240 ;
     thanks man, for the feedback!  

Tbh, I don't like my voice a lot, so double tracking gets me over it, I'll go back though, maybe have a look at keeping it single through the verses and wide pan doubled in the chorus.  That might also differentiate the two.

I didn't overly want 80s, but using a synth sound like that and an 808 trigger on the drums was always going to force it that way ha

Thanks though, all taken on board! :)
    Ok dude...so I checked out all 3 songs, Lets talk about Love is def the most current sounding track, good arrangement, catchy melody, single vocal line !.....you have a good voice dude, have you tried just dropping everything by say a semi tone?...you might be surprised..

Be great  to try a remix of this track if your up for it ?....how was it recorded and could you post a link to the Wav stems?

Just a thought...

This is what Im working on now ...( Im not the vocalist )

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
    @spark240 ;
     hell yeah I'm up for it, i'd learn a lot from listening too I think!

remind me, are stems edited or unedited?
    If you have lots of FX on the tracks , then I’d prefer them raw with nothing on, but whatever is easier for you, just an experiment really....what DAW do you use ?

We Transfer is easy , or a Dropbox link 

Mac Mini M1
    Presonus Studio One V5
    Reddit r/newmusicreview 
  • IMC1980IMC1980 Frets: 141
    +1 on the good voice, you sound like the singer from the Kooks to me (who has a pleasing voice to listen to, regardless of musical taste, so please don't take offence from the comparison!). Like the riffs and overall groove of Surrounded By Shadows; I'll give your other stuff a listen!
  • notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    +1 for the let's talk about love. You have a great voice and it suits your preferred tempo I think.

Good luck with the tracks.
    spark240 said:
    If you have lots of FX on the tracks , then I’d prefer them raw with nothing on, but whatever is easier for you, just an experiment really....what DAW do you use ?

We Transfer is easy , or a Dropbox link 
    I'll try and get them tonight when I'm home, I'm stoked for sure. Some comp, and eq is about it I think off the top of my head
    IMC1980 said:
    +1 on the good voice, you sound like the singer from the Kooks to me (who has a pleasing voice to listen to, regardless of musical taste, so please don't take offence from the comparison!). Like the riffs and overall groove of Surrounded By Shadows; I'll give your other stuff a listen!
    Much appreciated, thank you
    notanon said:
    +1 for the let's talk about love. You have a great voice and it suits your preferred tempo I think.

Good luck with the tracks.

Thanks a lot!
    (ps, I hate the Kooks)
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Think you've done a great job on that. I like the 80s feel to the production, but as others have said  I'd roll back the double tracking of the vocals a bit. The keyboard twinkles could be blended in a bit more with some more reverb I think.

I think your voice sounds really good, but if you want to mask it a bit, I'd probably add some more pads (strings or something) as opposed to the double tracking.

Very impressive, and I'll check out the others.
  • pmgpmg Frets: 298
    I enjoyed it
    So I've made another one.... a little less 80s, but I did screw around with a vocoder!

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    Great stuff - I'll echo the Kooks references above regarding your voice.  If it were me Id drop the key a smidge (semitone may do it), use more real sounding drums and lift the guitars a touch, but being picky, good songs, sang and performed very well indeed
    Thanks @John_A ;  please be picky, much more helpful tbh!
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    joeyowen said:
    Thanks @John_A ;  please be picky, much more helpful tbh!
    It's also based on personal preference though, maybe your voice would lose some of it's character if you dropped the key, and maybe you like the drums and guitars as they are, don't take everyone's opinion as gospel, do your own thing :)
  • GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    edited February 2019
    I like that. Reminds me a bit of Softengine.
    I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    I really dig "the heat inside my heart", can't comment on the others............. someone's had 'em away  :#
  • Just listening on my phone but sounds really good. Nice clean mix. Drums and vocals coming through strong, I'd agree with bringing the guitars forward a touch. Great voice though,and will get stronger with time and confidence. 

Thanks all!  I've got some new recordings in the pipelines, which more than anything I'm trying to get consistent.

I've also booked some studio time for May to get 3 of the mixed properly, not by me whilst I learn pro tools!

All feedback taken on board though, and here are the other 3 back:

• dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    @joeyowen just listened to "Surrounded by Shadows" and I like it but I couldn't help but feel that it sounded like there was a load of loops stuck together with a vocal track over the top. Then it got to 2:03 and it really took off. Cool sounding guitars, (love the Duane Eddie tones!), drums sounded 'live' and it really hung together well.

Put it like this, I heard enough to bring me back to listen to the other 2 tracks after my bath  =)

dilbert