Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    +1 for @FelineGuitars refret on my favorite Les Paul  The work is perfect and Jonathan was great to deal with
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5024
    +1 for Jamie Davey near Wolverhampton. Just picked up my Gibson L-5 Signature from him - it was rattling like a couple of skeletons in heat, but is now beautiful again. Plus, he's a great bloke, which always helps. 
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    horsehead said:
    Can anyone recommend a good person to use for a refret of a strat near York & Leeds please?
    Did you find anyone for a refret in the North Yorkshire sort of area?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    horsehead said:
    Can anyone recommend a good person to use for a refret of a strat near York & Leeds please?
    I take mine to Nigel Stockbridge in Richmond. It's about 40 mins from mine but worth the trip. He does a great job. 
  • Any ideas for a refret in Paris?
  • I’m looking to put a Bigsby on my Gibson SG HP 2017 to fix neck dive. Any recommendations for someone who can do this without damaging the guitar in or near Cambridge UK?
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4700
    prlgmnr said:
    horsehead said:
    I take mine to Nigel Stockbridge in Richmond. It's about 40 mins from mine but worth the trip. He does a great job. 
    My best mate uses Nigel, he is very good. 

Another +1 for Leicestershire Guitar Luthier, Danny did some work for me on a less than sterling Lag I bought from here. Amazing job, plays like a dream now and they turned it around really quickly too.

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• I have used Nigel Stockbridge in Richmond and John Wesley in Barnard Castle, both did great work for me. John recently did my Epiphone G400 Pro and it stays in tune like nothing else I know.

https://wesleyguitars.co.uk/ ;
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Dino at The Guitar Klinic near Shepton Mallet, Somerset. I have used him for around eleven guitars and he's done a great job on all (electric, steel strung acoustic and classical). email: contact@theguitarklinic.co.uk , tel: 07957 802263
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • prlgmnr said:
    horsehead said:
    No never found anyone and was considering using Jonathan at Feline. Though I had considered using a guy by the name of Melvyn Hiscock who i have had recommended to me
  • horsehead said:

No never found anyone and was considering using Jonathan at Feline. Though I had considered using a guy by the name of Melvyn Hiscock who i have had recommended to me
    I reckon it's a pretty safe bet that most folks on here who build or repair guitars started out with Melvyn's book.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11494
    tFB Trader
    horsehead said:

I reckon it's a pretty safe bet that most folks on here who build or repair guitars started out with Melvyn's book.
    That is very true . I had a copy of the first edition when I was at London College of Furniture doing my guitar making course.

However often the apprentice can exceed the master if they get way more practice.

We get to do a LOT of refret work and it keeps us on top of our game. It was 3-4 a week during January, which was a good start to the year.

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• prlgmnrprlgmnr Frets: 3964
    I forgot to check back in here, I've been to Nigel in Richmond with a couple of jobs before, bit of a trek from here but a nice day out with the kids in summer.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3260
    edited February 2019 tFB Trader
    No not me i went back to college for 4vyrs to learn acoustic guitar making at merton and made electrics near the end, the head teacher Mike Hobbs has unreal hand skills which was very inspiring 

I did meet Melvyn at kempton guitar show last year and he was a really nice guy to talk too
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • Flame_GuitarsFlame_Guitars Frets: 79
    tFB Trader
    No not me i went back to college for 4vyrs to learn acoustic guitar making at merton and made electrics near the end, the head teacher Mike Hobbs has unreal hand skills which was very inspiring 

I did meet Melvyn at kempton guitar show last year and he was a really nice guy to talk too
    Mike Hobbs has been an inspirational for hundreds of guitar builders. My guitar building journey started with Mike back in the mid-eighties. I had no wood-working skills but Mike always offered gently encouragement. It was good to catch up with him at last years Kempton show.
    When I started building guitars there was no such thing as the internet (yes, there was such an age!) So aspiring guitar makers relied on books, including Melvyn Hiscock's book on electric guitar making.
    Flame Guitars. Custom electric guitars, servicing & repairs by David Kennett

• I just got back my vintage Jazzmaster from Charlie Chandlers in Hampton Wick after a refret.  Fabulous job, guitar plays so much better I am kicking myself for hesitating for so long.

Cheers
    Ben
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Another shout out for @FelineGuitars - just picked up my SG after a proper fret dress and setup, and what a difference that's made. Went from playing nicely to the best-playing guitar I have. Effortless up and down the neck and more importantly it now rings much clearer in the upper frets, allowing me to really appreciate the fine pickups from Oil City in there...

Not cheap, but 100% worth it on an instrument that deserves it. Jon and the boys were also super approachable and thorough as always, and turnaround was fast.
    Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
  • Can anyone recommend a decent tech in Oxfordshire (ideally Abingdon/Oxford area)?

I’ve seen a website for a chap in Abingdon (RP Guitars) but there are no testimonials. Any first hand experience of his work?

Thanks. 
  • droflufdrofluf Frets: 3611
    By coincidence RP did a setup for me last week. I'm fairly new to this so perhaps not the best judge but it seems to have made a real difference. Communicative, easy deal to with and knowledgeable. When I mentioned that I was planning to put a slightly heavier gauge on he offered to give the guitar another once over as part of the service. A bit further South there's also Steve Kendall in Hanney. I haven't used him but he seems to be well recommended.
  • BarnezyBarnezy Frets: 2173
    edited March 2019
    Just want to recommend Authur for anyone near the A3/SW London. Did a great job on my Tele. Is very detailed with his work. 

www.aubertguitars.com