SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Wtb: P90 for a sc junior

What's Hot
pearlwhite67pearlwhite67 Frets: 12
edited March 2019 in Parts £
anyone got a p90 bridge pickup kicking around that wouldbe an upgrade over a stock gibson p90.  Oil city, bareknuckles,...etc etc
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    Something wrong with the stock one? I got a cheap P90 when I modified my old Special to Junior and it works great!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14324
    Something wrong with the stock one? 
    +1

In what way is the stock Gibson dogear P90 failing to satisfy? Overall output? Tone balance? Excessive hum? (Two of these can be corrected to some extent by changing one or both magnets in the stock pickup.)

At this point, it might be worth confirming exactly which variant of the Gibson LP Junior you have and, hence, with what pickup it is fitted.

Be seeing you.
  • Its a 2009 gibson usa junior.   58 faded i think the range was called.   
    Got that. Thanks.

In the absence of any clues about how the pickup is unsatisfactory, my next question is, how high are the polepiece screws adjusted?

Often, as its polepieces are raised further above the coil, a P90 can start to sound a bit gutless and over-bright. The solution is to set the screws lower and use a spacer to raise the entire pickup closer to the strings. That spacer could be made from compressible rubber or cut out from a hard material, like the ones offered by Ash at Oil City Pickups.

Be seeing you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Got that. Thanks.

In the absence of any clues about how the pickup is unsatisfactory, my next question is, how high are the polepiece screws adjusted?

Often, as its polepieces are raised further above the coil, a P90 can start to sound a bit gutless and over-bright. The solution is to set the screws lower and use a spacer to raise the entire pickup closer to the strings. That spacer could be made from compressible rubber or cut out from a hard material, like the ones offered by Ash at Oil City Pickups.

Be seeing you.
  • jimmyguitarjimmyguitar Frets: 2464
    I have some spare shims if you go that route, they’re oil city ones but unused.