I miss Fugazi

What's Hot
joetelejoetele Frets: 947
Saw them on their last UK tour in 2002 before they disappeared indefinitely. I know they're not for everyone but they're one of those bands with an incredible back catalogue and unique style. There are a few bands who often baffle me with how they can think up the things they do, and these guys are one of them. Always loved their DIY approach to things. They even packed up their own gear on that last tour. 

They're just one of those unique bands you'll never find another like, and I miss them terribly. 
MUSIC: Pale Blurs
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    I miss all the early Marillion albums.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    Philly_Q said:
    I see what you did there. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • not_the_djnot_the_dj Frets: 7306
    Philly_Q said:
    Damn, I just turned up to make a similar joke.....have a lol.
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    edited March 2019

Cheap shot, wasn't it...

I do actually like Fugazi, I very rarely listen to them but I've got most of their albums and they were always intelligent and interesting.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Philly_Q said:

Cheap shot, wasn't it...

I do actually like Fugazi, I very rarely listen to them but I've got most of their albums and they were always intelligent and interesting.

I go through phases with them every year or so of listening to all their albums in one go on the way to work and back over a week or two. I've got the recording of the Bristol show from 2002 which is fantastic too. 
  • camfcamf Frets: 1190
    Very nice guys, too. I was on the same bill as them and Warren Zevon on a TV show in the Netherlands in the late 80s or early 90s (can't remember exactly). They were lovely, but Zevon was an obnoxious twat (sorry to speak ill of the dead, but he was. Maybe he was fine other days.) Anyway, Fugazi completely blew us away. It was at the end of a tour of the Netherlands and we were totally ****ed from a couple of weeks of caning it nightly. They were tight as anything. It made me seriously consider the benefits of going straightedge... for about a good hour or so. Ah well. Happy daze. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @camf - that sounds amazing! In an old bookshop in Gloucester I found a bootleg video for £4 of one of their very early performances with about 6 people in the crowd. Still tight as anything then. And the simplicity of their gear always appealed to me, and meant those tones were crystal clear. They'll claim they're sloppy musicians but those guys had some kind of telepathic link, I'm sure of it. 
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I saw them twice. Maybe fives years apart. Obviously the first time was best. But I say that about most bands.

Pogoed all night that first time. 
  • loved them up to and including In on the Kill Taker, great band lots of energy.

Waiting Room is any decent nightclubs anthem.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited March 2019
    I’m only familiar with Repeater and In on the Killtaker, used to listen to them a lot, superb. Never got round to listening to more, really should do. Minor threat were incredible too. What has Mackaye been up to since the permanent hiatus of Fugazi? 
  • I’m only familiar with Repeater and In on the Killtaker, used to listen to them a lot, superb. Never got round to listening to more, really should do. Minor threat were incredible too. What has Mackaye been up to since the permanent hiatus of Fugazi? 
    You should defo give Steady Diet or Nothing a listen 
  • BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    Ive always found them really boring, Minor Threat were much more my cup of tea
    I liked them when they segued into the more experimental stuff too. Just wonderful stuff. 
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2296
    Great band. I managed to catch them when I was at Uni in Nottingham. Must have been around 2002 as well! Great live band. I love how they made their own sound.

Minor Threat...imagine if they toured again....they released that updated photo about 4 months ago? That would be a killer show.
  • ewalewal Frets: 2558
    Yeah - one of my favourite bands live too. I remember they were in the old 13th Note in Glassford St, Glasgow (obviously for the vegan food not the beer) before a gig in the '90's. Seemed really nice blokes.

Anyone seen Messthetics the outfit Brendan Canty and Joe Lally recently toured with?
    The Scrambler-EE Walk soundcloud experience
  • JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    I love them too. Repeater, In On The Killtaker and Red Medicine all top notch. I was at one of the London gigs on the last tour, one of the last shows they played.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/
  • A massive favourite of mine also, I had been unemployed for a long time when they did that 2002 tour, I missed them play The Sanctuary in Birmingham, I simply couldn't afford to go.
    I listened to Red Medicine non-stop whilst on a road trip in North America with my Dad, he hated them after that 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    I know it's the obvious choice but Waiting Room could well be my favourite punk song.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651

One of my favourite Rock bands of all time. Loved how they evolved with each album.

Lots of amazing live footage on youtube.

I have a couple albums by MacKayes post Fugazi duo The Evens which are great, believe he plays a Dano Baritone on those records.

The Fugazi documentary Instrument is well worth a watch, think its still on youtube.

• JohnnysevenJohnnyseven Frets: 905
    JD50 said:

The Fugazi documentary Instrument is well worth a watch, think its still on youtube.

I've still got that on video somewhere.
    My trading feedback can be seen here - http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/58242/