Laney Cub 10 into Excelsior cab?

JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
My Laney Cub 10 lives with its output plugged into an old Excelsior cabinet with its original 15” in situ. The paring is perfect for my needs and I love the sound.

I’d really like to fit the Cub’s amp section into the Excelsior’s cabinet. It means widening the cutout on the Excelsior’s top which is easy to do but as the Cub is narrower than the Excelsior it means that the Cub’s amp is only secured by two screws in the top panel. In its original format it was also held by a screw on either side. Will it be okay with just 2 screws to hold the weight of the amp section and if not, any suggestions for a possible workaround?

The Exy amp section originally was split, with heavy transformers and power valves sat in lower part of the cab but the Cub is all in a single unit and I lack the skills to separate out the parts to top and bottom.

I haven’t dismantled the amp yet, I’d like to have a plan that I think would work before doing that. Any ideas?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    The two bolts are strong enough, but that's not the only problem... have you thought about how you are going to cover the exposed ends of the chassis?

What I would do is make two pieces of back panel which fit fairly tightly inside the ends of the Laney chassis and extend about half an inch into them, and screw and glue (so they're really rigid) those to battens, screwed to the inside of the sides of the cabinet.

That will support the amp and prevent the risk of someone putting their fingers around the ends of the open chassis.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    ICBM said:
    The two bolts are strong enough, but that's not the only problem... have you thought about how you are going to cover the exposed ends of the chassis?

What I would do is make two pieces of back panel which fit fairly tightly inside the ends of the Laney chassis and extend about half an inch into them, and screw and glue (so they're really rigid) those to battens, screwed to the inside of the sides of the cabinet.

That will support the amp and prevent the risk of someone putting their fingers around the ends of the open chassis.
    I think I understand what you're proposing - like a pair of bookends that I affix to each end of Cub amp chassis, left and right, and then use those to fix/brace to the Excelsior cabinet?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72297
    JezWynd said:

I think I understand what you're proposing - like a pair of bookends that I affix to each end of Cub amp chassis, left and right, and then use those to fix/brace to the Excelsior cabinet?
    Yes, exactly. You probably don't have to fix the chassis to them if they're a reasonably tight fit into the ends of it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6058
    ICBM said:
    JezWynd said:

Yes, exactly. You probably don't have to fix the chassis to them if they're a reasonably tight fit into the ends of it.
    Thanks, that sounds like a good plan. I’ll let you know how it works out.