The Fretboard Guitarist Collective - Task 1 August 2013

What's Hot

Comments

• Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited August 2013
    Finally got around to recording on Friday. The gf chose this take yesterday. It is the first take, no edits, no overdubs.

Guitar = ES-335
    Amplifier = JTM45 + SE100
    FX: Guv'nor, Ibanez DDL, RealTube OD by Tube Works
    Recorder: Yamaha AW16G

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited August 2013
    Cant listen to anything on soundclick :( ... sits there and does nothing when I click on play song (hifi)

I'm using chrome on XP, I do have Windoze media player installed, and I have a copy of iTunes

PS why has soundcloud decided that I've got a flash blocker enabled on my browser and therefore refuse to play back anything I've got stored there? And how come the above links all play back fine? I've checked out the chrome:plugins page and can't see owt wrong with what I've got enabled...
    :-?
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Cant listen to anything on soundclick :( ... sits there and does nothing when I click on play song (hifi)

I'm using chrome on XP, I do have Windoze media player installed, and I have a copy of iTunes

PS why has soundcloud decided that I've got a flash blocker enabled on my browser and therefore refuse to play back anything I've got stored there? And how come the above links all play back fine? I've checked out the chrome:plugins page and can't see owt wrong with what I've got enabled...
    :-?

just uploaded mine to soundcloud if it helps.. :)

http://soundcloud.com/user5011288/fretjam

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @Barney fanx mate now I can hear what everyone else raved about, and may I say I'd add a big +1 and a WOW to their ravings! Well Done Sir!
    @Barney fanx mate now I can hear what everyone else raved about, and may I say I'd add a big +1 and a WOW to their ravings! Well Done Sir!

thanks mate....just listened to yours as well......great phrasing and feel....spot on..
    gonna have to listen to some others tomorrow ...when thers more time.. :)
  • found a flash blocker extension to chrome which I'd clearly installed earlier ... tried to put soundcloud on the list of sites that its not supposed to block for, but that didn't work, so I just disabled it altogether, and I can now listen to soundcloud trax
  • since I got rid of that flash blocker I've been able to listen to soundclick :)

@clare_bear had some interesting ideas of the kind you don't usually hear, full marks for not playing the usual kind of crap like I did!
  • Phil_aka_Pip;22493" said:
    since I got rid of that flash blocker I've been able to listen to soundclick :)

@clare_bear had some interesting ideas of the kind you don't usually hear, full marks for not playing the usual kind of crap like I did!
    Thanks @Phil_aka_Pip , although 'interesting' has come from not knowing what I'm doing! Hurrah for ignorance :-)
  • Phil_aka_Pip;22493" said:
    since I got rid of that flash blocker I've been able to listen to soundclick :)

Thanks @Phil_aka_Pip , although 'interesting' has come from not knowing what I'm doing! Hurrah for ignorance :-)
    I once did a Rock Workshop on a Chill Peppers number, sent the sheet music round before hand. This chap didn't listen to the original, but interpreted the lead sheet in a "Heavy metal" style. I rather liked it, so did some of the others present. I learned that NOT  following the same as what everyone else does can lead to some interesting results. :)
  • bigjonbigjon Frets: 680
    Barney said:
    ......just had a play over it now..its the first take ...i might have another go though...great stuff ..i love the blues..:)
    @Barney You listened to mine and commented individually on it so I'll return the favour - Oh wow! Fantastic tone - Les Paul on the back pickup? You've got an ace motif going where you bend from the 6th to the 7th and back, then repeat, sort of halfway between vibrato and a bend - I'm so nicking that one :-)
    bigjon;24577" said:
    Barney said:......just had a play over it now..its the first take ...i might have another go though...great stuff ..i love the blues..:)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12447073

@Barney You listened to mine and commented individually on it so I'll return the favour - Oh wow! Fantastic tone - Les Paul on the back pickup? You've got an ace motif going where you bend from the 6th to the 7th and back, then repeat, sort of halfway between vibrato and a bend - I'm so nicking that one :-)
    Thanks...can't rembember what I was doing in the jam...I just recorded it and uploaded.... . The guitar was a gibson SG 2 ..I think ..lol..with the mini humbuckers...and you just nick what you want :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    @bluechargeboy - liked the tone [especially after 3.00 mins] and after a nervous start I liked the lick around 0.46 secs and your playing as the track progressed.

@stickyfiddle - another cool tone and assured blues playing with some nice bends. Reminded me of an early Billy Gibbons in places.

@nickp - one niggle. The guitar could have been higher in the mix but that's minor. Some nice bluesy licks especially around the 2 min mark.

@paulmapp8306 - a cool lazy Sunday morning country blues vibe going on there with some nice bends and licks.

@Longtallronnie - like the over-driven tone and the sparse playing at the beginning. Some cool licks and phrases in there.

@daveww - a Peter Green vibe going on there. Like the tone - there are some cool bends and phrases in your playing.

@chrisj1602 - an Albert Collins style tone. Like the spare phrasing that builds around the 2 min mark -  classic US blues man territory. Tasteful.

@mani - nice clean tone and blues phrasing.

@Handsome_Chris - a mental beginning. Very Gary Mooresque in places.

@Phil_aka_Pip - kudos for using a real amp and pedals. It shows in the tone which is excellent. Laid back intro - loved the change in tone around 1 min mark and again around the 2 min mark [stomp box?] some cool licks and phrases in there Phil. Very Gary Moore.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • Fretwired said:
    @Phil_aka_Pip - kudos for using a real amp and pedals. It shows in the tone which is excellent. Laid back intro - loved the change in tone around 1 min mark and again around the 2 min mark [stomp box?] some cool licks and phrases in there Phil. Very Gary Moore.

You're too kind. Gary Moore also used a Guv'nor. Can't say I've ever consciously tried to make my playing like his though. 

It's nice of you to be bothered to review these attempts. I've listened to most of them but not with the attention required for reviewing.
  • @Fretwired, thank you very much for the feedback.  I thought that I'd made a bit of a mistake by posting that track, especially as I didn't listen the previous tracks for guidance.  This has also left me feeling that I am not qualified to review others tracks which I have all enjoyed.  I have now come to realise that I know nothing about blues, especially how to sound like a blues musician - I may have gone a bit too far off piste. LOL  

Thank you also for the Gary Mooresque compliment.  I've never really paid attention to him - I know that he's good, but I'm not really a mad blues fan - but something I heard must have stuck with me.  Maybe on the next track I'll do a Parisienne Walkways style holding the note for 2 mins. :D

I do owe @Clarky royalties for that neat little gating trick I used in the quiet section of the track, which I did enjoy recording.

@bluechargeboy, I really enjoyed your trip into the cathedral.  It really separated your recording from others. in a good way.  I like it when things turn out good, even if it wasn't by design. 
  • At least @Frankus hasn't unearthed me as a closet jazzer.
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    @Fretwired thank you for the kind comments.  Peter Green is one of my biggest influences so that is flattering praise indeed.  Rather than the playing though I think I may have shared some of the same substances during my early life  ;) without some of the side effects though I'm happy to add.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LOL duly awarded.
  • manimani Frets: 10
    @Fretwired - thank you for the feedback.  I was tempted to add some post effects in there, but not much time - I do like my cleans though lol, backing track was tops. 

I listened to them all - everyone did a sterling job, some really nice tones and technique, @daveww loved the cleans nice and chilled :).

• ClarkyClarky Frets: 3261
    some really good stuff going on here...

I was jamming over that backing track last night and got distracted to the point where I almost forgot to do what I was actually in the studio to do.. lmao
    play every note as if it were your first
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    edited September 2013
    I've never recorded myself and shared before so this is a first for me, here come the excuses. I only managed about half the track, I've had little time to really have a proper go so I recorded it twice through cut out.most of the crap and intended to come back and finish it off but haven't had time. I want to join in though so you get to hear my half attempt warts and all. A bit late I know, it's too loud and blah blah.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom