What to look for in a guitar teacher?

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    Keiko said:
    Have two or three lessons with each one and see which one gives the best value.

Some teachers are real time wasters, and they wont tell you that in an email or over the phone. You don't want to paying for a chat about last nights football.

A good teacher should have your lesson planned in advance in my opinion then you can get straight to it. They shouldn't be printing sheet music off, or messing around on their computer during your lesson, all time wasting.

This hits home how crap my piano teacher was, 2 years and i learned bugger all.  I think I spent far too much talking than learning.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Keiko said:

Some teachers are real time wasters, and they wont tell you that in an email or over the phone. You don't want to paying for a chat about last nights football.

A good teacher should have your lesson planned in advance in my opinion then you can get straight to it. They shouldn't be printing sheet music off, or messing around on their computer during your lesson, all time wasting.
    This. The only chit chat I do is at the beginning, when I open the door and lead them to my teaching room. After that straight down to business. 

All lesson notes and handouts are done ahead of the lesson ready for that 1 hour. Really annoys me when I see tutors tabbing out the song as they go.
    too right!

I generally find that if I think about what might piss me off if I went for a lesson - and then NOT doing that - tends to work. 

Only interruption in my lessons is generally when a cat has hidden in the room without me knowing and then emerges mid-lesson....or brings in a mouse from outside. Still, keeps it interesting.
    This is why I try to steer clear of home visits too. Usually their location isn't suitable for doing lessons, the TV's on or they have a pet who keeps coming in.
  • riverciderrivercider Frets: 461
    Interesting thread. Can anyone recommend a decent guitar teacher in Oxfordshire?
    Maybe it would be handy to have a section here where teachers can be recommended / offer their services by geographical area, based perhaps on the experiences/knowledge of fretboarders?
    I've looked at lessons now and then - I sure need them - but its a bit random as to who is out there unless you get lucky, I suppose. Easy to chuck away money looking for a good teacher I would imagine. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    edited March 2019
    Home visits are a bloody nuisance for us teachers as they take up a lot of extra time in packing up gear and travel/unpack/re pack/ travel back which the student isn't that happy to pay for.

Also in lesson conversation, inevitably reference is made to a particular song or artiste and is not always feasible to call up YTube or a saved file on your PC to investigate it.

Yes, in addition bloody pets just make like uncomfortable - dogs jumping up at you and your gear, and incessant barking. Cat and dog hairs (I am allergic), plus is amazing how many students want to sit in soft armchairs/sofas and have no suitable stout chairs/stools. Oh and sometimes no on-site parking available and worse - you have to pay for a ticket!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

p.s. am I expected to bring my own guitar?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe said:
    Home visits are a bloody nuisance for us teachers as they take up a lot of extra time in packing up gear and travel/unpack/re pack/ travel back which the student isn't that happy to pay for.

Also in lesson conversation, inevitably reference is made to a particular song or artiste and is not always feasible to call up YTube or a saved file on your PC to investigate it.

Yes, in addition bloody pets just make like uncomfortable - dogs jumping up at you and your gear, and incessant barking. Cat and dog hairs (I am allergic), plus is amazing how many students want to sit in soft armchairs/sofas and have no suitable stout chairs/stools. Oh and sometimes no on-site parking available and worse - you have to pay for a ticket!
    Yep, people don't actually understand they're paying for more than hour if you're coming to their house, travel time, sitting in traffic and distance is a factor. And if I do a home visit I'll certainly be arriving a few minutes before to get my equipment in (as most don't have it at their house) and set up. Then there's usually some form of chat at the end which goes past the hour, then getting the equipment out of the house and back home. So in theory they're kinda paying for 2 hours.

I try not to do visits anymore but it'll depend on how far the person is and if they have a good set up to run lessons. A couple have a proper room to do the lessons in so its not all bad. Parking is an issue for all of mine, 1 has metered bays, the other the house is in the middle of a main road, meaning turning off and parking somewhere is tricky when there's little gaps in traffic. The other one there's never any parking within 5 minutes walk of the flat, and equipment is always a pain in the arse to get up stairs.
  • I prefer to go to the teacher personally.

They'll have everything they need to hand as well, I can't bring my whole teaching room in my car so its difficult to provide the same sort of experience being mobile. Portable speakers and small practice amps is what I'm dealing with at the moment.

And its a must for my learners to own their own guitar, at least to practice on at home. If they're coming from work or travelling via public transport for example then I can provide one for use in the lesson. But its much better if they have their own one they practice on and play in the lessons on so they get comfortable and used to using it.
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11807
    I prefer to go to the teacher personally.

They'll have everything they need to hand as well, I can't bring my whole teaching room in my car so its difficult to provide the same sort of experience being mobile. Portable speakers and small practice amps is what I'm dealing with at the moment.

And its a must for my learners to own their own guitar, at least to practice on at home. If they're coming from work or travelling via public transport for example then I can provide one for use in the lesson. But its much better if they have their own one they practice on and play in the lessons on so they get comfortable and used to using it.
    It’s not a problem, was just curious as to what most people do. 
  • I prefer to go to the teacher personally.

It’s not a problem, was just curious as to what most people do. 
    I never understand people who expect to do lessons without their own guitar to practice on, as the only time you'd get to play is in your lesson. Most of your "learning" actually falls outside of lesson times.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Interesting thread. Can anyone recommend a decent guitar teacher in Oxfordshire?
    Maybe it would be handy to have a section here where teachers can be recommended / offer their services by geographical area, based perhaps on the experiences/knowledge of fretboarders?
    I've looked at lessons now and then - I sure need them - but its a bit random as to who is out there unless you get lucky, I suppose. Easy to chuck away money looking for a good teacher I would imagine. 
    That would be great. I’m really surprised there’s not already a section on here for it. 
  • ModellistaModellista Frets: 2039
    Lestratcaster said: So in theory they're kinda paying for 2 hours.

This is an interesting point.  Do you run lessons from your home as well?  Do you charge less than the £35/hour there?

I don't think the market round my way would tolerate anything over £25/hour.  But then again my students come to me and I can schedule them one after the other if necessary.  No costs for time for travel.  I really couldn't be bothered packing up guitars/amps/stuff.  I have a couple of big shelves of books which I delve into occasionally when a certain song or topic comes up, it's one of my favourite bits of lessons - "I think I have that in a book somewhere" - and I wouldn't want to be without that resource.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VibetronicVibetronic Frets: 1036
    Keiko said:

This. The only chit chat I do is at the beginning, when I open the door and lead them to my teaching room. After that straight down to business. 

All lesson notes and handouts are done ahead of the lesson ready for that 1 hour. Really annoys me when I see tutors tabbing out the song as they go.
    too right!

I generally find that if I think about what might piss me off if I went for a lesson - and then NOT doing that - tends to work. 

Only interruption in my lessons is generally when a cat has hidden in the room without me knowing and then emerges mid-lesson....or brings in a mouse from outside. Still, keeps it interesting.
    This is why I try to steer clear of home visits too. Usually their location isn't suitable for doing lessons, the TV's on or they have a pet who keeps coming in.
    No - that's in MY house  :# I do warn them beforehand....! 
  • Lestratcaster said: So in theory they're kinda paying for 2 hours.

This is an interesting point.  Do you run lessons from your home as well?  Do you charge less than the £35/hour there?

I don't think the market round my way would tolerate anything over £25/hour.  But then again my students come to me and I can schedule them one after the other if necessary.  No costs for time for travel.  I really couldn't be bothered packing up guitars/amps/stuff.  I have a couple of big shelves of books which I delve into occasionally when a certain song or topic comes up, it's one of my favourite bits of lessons - "I think I have that in a book somewhere" - and I wouldn't want to be without that resource.  

Yes I do and it’s about £35 yes. The going rate around this area as I live in London and the Muscians Union rate is £34. 

I only do 3 visits at the moment the test come to me and it is easier cos you can book back to back.
    I do travel out a fair amount...but then I live out in the countryside by a small town, so it's really easy - and to be honest I don't mind driving a little bit and getting out. It's also a LOT easier with kids (and it's almost all kids I travel out to) - otherwise I'd have to have them round here, and probably have their parents waiting around during the lesson. If I lived in London there's no chance I'd do that though!
  • Yeah all 3 of mine are kids too, makes it easier for them cos they don’t need to be at home. 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329

haha - I have actually had ppl start and have no instrument and expect one on loan!!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

haha - I have actually had ppl start and have no instrument and expect one on loan!!
    I got all the equipment covered and then some.  Have enough to start my own band!

So what should I put in my email, going to email a few

1 - Do I come to your place or studio
    2 - Bring my own equipment? (I don't think I will bring an amp, may be the THR10)
    3 - Tell him/her the kind of music I listen to.
    4 - What are the lesson structure like?
    5 - How much per hour.
  • Ask if they do a trial lesson, and lesson lengths.

Be good if they have a website or social media links so you can check them out, I have them all and post lesson clip footage so they can actually see the service in action.
    57Deluxe said:

I got all the equipment covered and then some.  Have enough to start my own band!

So what should I put in my email, going to email a few

1 - Do I come to your place or studio
    2 - Bring my own equipment? (I don't think I will bring an amp, may be the THR10)
    3 - Tell him/her the kind of music I listen to.
    4 - What are the lesson structure like?
    5 - How much per hour.
    that sounds about right :) They should probably have a spare amp so wouldn't worry about that. I'd also point out to them that that it's for your personal enjoyment, rather than wanting to join a band/gig etc (I normally ask what people want/expect to get out of it). Maybe also check that they can cover theory in general (but that should really be a given)...but then again, that's all stuff you can cover when you meet. Cancellation policy also worth checking on.