Fractal AX8

What's Hot

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    I have both an FX8 and an AX8, and have compared them both directly with several Helixes that bands have brought to my studio. Sound-wise there's honestly no comparison, the Fractals blow the Helix out the water, to the point a Helix has yet to actually make it onto a record made here.

Yeah, the interface is easier to use, but so what? Is that really the point?
    Are you referring to the amp sims or the effects. Or both?
    My take on it- I have the Helix, FX8, Axe FX II and a Kemper.
    The best amp sounds are the Kemper and the Axe FX II.
    The FX8 sounds incredible going into an amp but has no modelling.
    It works better than the AX8 if you want to use 4 cable method with a real amp.

The AX8 sounds the same as the Axe FX II, it has one DSP rather than two, so you don't get as many blocks.

I like the Helix because it is self contained with the built in expression pedal, has some nice amp models (Placater in particular) but it doesn't hang with the Fractals for lower gain sounds or time based effects IMO.

I bought the Helix to use whilst my studio shipment was being moved from the UK to Singapore and it did what I wanted well at the time but it is time to move on.
    I'm in the process of selling the Helix and Axe FX II to go to the Axe FX III, which should tell you something.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    This is why, if you’re undecided which way to go, you need to try both really. That’s what I did... ran Helix and an AX8 side by side for six months and picked which I preferred overall. Yep, I lost money on the AX8 when I moved it on but it’s a process I’m glad I went through as I’m not constantly wondering if the grass is greener over in Fractal land.
    The bottom line is both units are capable of sounding stellar so there are no bad choices to be made here really. 

FWIW I thought the FX8/AX8 drives and delays were the weakest points. Others may love them though, and that’s the beauty of choice.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    I have both an FX8 and an AX8, and have compared them both directly with several Helixes that bands have brought to my studio. Sound-wise there's honestly no comparison, the Fractals blow the Helix out the water, to the point a Helix has yet to actually make it onto a record made here.

Both. The FX8 doesn't have any amp sims, but used in front of an amp it sounds notably better than the Helix. In a great room with a great mic into a Neve preamp, it was just a far more convincing sound generally.

The reverbs and delays in the FX8 made me sell my Strymons. It's a mystery to me why the FX8 is so cheap used!
  • I had a Fractal Axe FX II XL (same engine as the AX8 by all accounts) for a year before selling it to get a Axe FX III and got fed up of the wait so bought a Kemper. Before buying the Axe FX, the closest I could get to trying one was to spend a hefty amount of time playing on a Helix, it's digital, so made sense to see if I liked that before making the switch.

The Helix was great. UI was great. Sounded good and I could get 85% of the way there, to the tones I liked.

I bought the Axe FX II and it changed the game, sounded incredible.

I had to use the PC editor because dialling in the Axe FX from the panel was an absolute ball ache. Something they've kind of improved on the III.

The Kemper seemed to sound better, to my ears. That's subjective and controversial, but that's my opinion.

I briefly had an Axe FX III, because GAS, and hated it. The sound wasn't what I expected.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

Both. The FX8 doesn't have any amp sims, but used in front of an amp it sounds notably better than the Helix. In a great room with a great mic into a Neve preamp, it was just a far more convincing sound generally.

The reverbs and delays in the FX8 made me sell my Strymons. It's a mystery to me why the FX8 is so cheap used!
    It is too complicated for most people I think.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9445
    edited March 2019
    Having owned AX8, FX8, All the Helix and Kemper, my thoughts echo StuMac...

Kemper is the best amp sounding of the lot.

Reverbs and delays are stunning on the FX8. The FX8 also has instant unity volume - a remarkably under valued feature.... the looper is the best I’ve used.

The a Helix has the best and most creative UI; by far. The convinience and create options really help it...But sound wise, for my ears and for non obvious generic rock sounds, the Helix is no where near the FX8.

If i has to buy again, I’d use the FX8 into my real amps. 

• StuartMac290StuartMac290 Frets: 1428
    The Kemper does have better amp sims than the Fractals - not by a huge amount, but they are a little better.

The effects on the Fractal are miles better though, and since I never use modellers for recording, the Kemper holds no appeal for me.

I do love the AX8 live though, it's such a hassle-free set up.
  • Jonathanthomas83Jonathanthomas83 Frets: 3466
    edited March 2019
    I disagree that the Fractal effects are "miles better" than Kemper. I find them superb. Recently acquired a Big Sky and have been back and forth with that and the new Kemper reverbs and the Kemper sounds more natural to my ears. 

I often struggled to get what I wanted out of the Fractal reverbs, as good as they were, and I really think they are great. Delays are superb, but again, Kemper delays have served me equally as well, if not better...but that could be because I'm a better programmer now. Chorus ...prefer Fractal. Phaser...prefer Kemper. Flanger...prefer Kemper. Wah...prefer Kemper. Pitch...Kemper all day long. Compressor...again, can't tell because I programme better these days, but Fractal were good.

Anyway, this is way off topic, apologies.

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    John_A said:
    Two different opinions, which is exactly what you get from owners of the respective units.  I’ve had a Helix for 3 years and love it, but I’m sure the Axe is more than capable too
    theres plenty of evidence around that they both sound great
    That'll be 20 different opinions, Helix is best, Axe is best, Kemper is best and if you hang around long enough there'll be Amplifire is best too.

IMO they are all so good, if you cant get a great sound out of them buying another brand wont help
  • exocetexocet Frets: 1948
    John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Two different opinions, which is exactly what you get from owners of the respective units.  I’ve had a Helix for 3 years and love it, but I’m sure the Axe is more than capable too
    theres plenty of evidence around that they both sound great
    That'll be 20 different opinions, Helix is best, Axe is best, Kemper is best and if you hang around long enough there'll be Amplifire is best too.

IMO they are all so good, if you cant get a great sound out of them buying another brand wont help
    Exactly - there's no best / worst - it's just what works for you and your circumstances. What I will say is that going from standard amp / standard pedals to either modelling or even just MFX unit in front of standard amp - it takes time to establish a familiarity with the kit irrespective of which manufacturer. Be prepared to invest time and more than likely more cash (in the case of FRFR) in order to meet your tonal expectations. 
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    I’ve got Helix native and an AX8 and I find the AX8 so much easier. Just pick the amp I want, appropriate cab and I’m happy.

With Helix native, just as my old HD and X3 pro I felt I had to wrangle good tone from it with careful gain staging, hi and low cuts on cabs and various other tricks. With the AX8 I can just pick an amp and cab and it’s 95% there and any tweaking is just refining rather than essential.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Dan_Halen said:
    I’ve got Helix native and an AX8 and I find the AX8 so much easier. Just pick the amp I want, appropriate cab and I’m happy.

With Helix native, just as my old HD and X3 pro I felt I had to wrangle good tone from it with careful gain staging, hi and low cuts on cabs and various other tricks. With the AX8 I can just pick an amp and cab and it’s 95% there and any tweaking is just refining rather than essential.
    You have summed up my frustrations with the helix right there.
    That's why I am looking at axefx. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    Dan_Halen said:

You have summed up my frustrations with the helix right there.
    That's why I am looking at axefx. 
    I have AxeFX and Amplifire and it’s exactly the same - loads of eq tweaks needed in Amplifire to get good sounds. I looking forward to a AX8 V2 to improve gui as per AXEFX III
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • Dan_HalenDan_Halen Frets: 1646
    edited August 2019
    This is a video that sums the AX8 for me. The guy just picks a stock preset with its stock cab, all the knobs are left pretty much at 12 and it just sounds fat, killer marshall straight off the bat -

There's always the argument that you have to really get to know your modeller to get the best out of it - if you can't get a great tone out of the Helix then you don't know how to use it. That's absolutely true and it IS a great unit. However, with the AX8 I feel that I just simply don't have to... just pick an amp, maybe a cab, and I'm away. Why work so hard?

This is just my experience though. I think the Helix is amazing as well but the AX8 simply works for me.
  • firepaulmusicfirepaulmusic Frets: 362
    edited March 2019
    I’ve been using AX8 live direct to PA for over a year now in small pubs and on festival  stages, sounds (and feels) great. Had Kemper twice and also a Helix. Kemper is addictive through headphones, not so in mono live. Helix UI is also addictive especially touch sensitive buttons, how the hell do they do that? Helix sounds didn’t do it for me, people say that third party cab IRs is the trick but never got round to trying them. A mate of mine (name drop, sorry) is guitarist in The Zombies Tom Toomey, he came to see us and was so blown away with the sound that he contacted Fractal the next day and ordered one to use direct on their next tour, well he got an artist deal lucky bugger...
  • I’ve been using AX8 live direct to PA for over a year now in small pubs and on festival  stages, sounds (and feels) great. Had Kemper twice and also a Helix. Kemper is addictive through headphones, not so in mono live. Helix UI is also addictive especially touch sensitive buttons, how the hell do they do that? Helix sounds didn’t do it for me, people say that third party cab IRs is the trick but never got round to trying them. A mate of mine (name drop, sorry) is guitarist in The Zombies Tom Toomey, he came to see us and was so blown away with the sound that he contacted Fractal the next day and ordered one to use direct on their next tour, well he got an artist deal lucky bugger...
    I am very surprised to hear that, I thought Fractal took pride in the fact that they didn't give out any deals for artists and that the artists chose to use the products because they wanted to, not because of deals. That was always the party political line.

• GadgetGadget Frets: 895
    This is AX8...

I think, therefore.... I... ummmm........
  • I have a Helix LT. I’ve had it around 10 months and gigged it solidly in that time. I’ve been very happy with it but I’m still really considering an AX8. From the sounds I’ve heard on YouTube etc it sounds like a step up from Helix. For the guys who have had both has that been your real world experience??
  • I’ve been using AX8 live direct to PA for over a year now in small pubs and on festival  stages, sounds (and feels) great. Had Kemper twice and also a Helix. Kemper is addictive through headphones, not so in mono live. Helix UI is also addictive especially touch sensitive buttons, how the hell do they do that? Helix sounds didn’t do it for me, people say that third party cab IRs is the trick but never got round to trying them. A mate of mine (name drop, sorry) is guitarist in The Zombies Tom Toomey, he came to see us and was so blown away with the sound that he contacted Fractal the next day and ordered one to use direct on their next tour, well he got an artist deal lucky bugger...
    I am very surprised to hear that, I thought Fractal took pride in the fact that they didn't give out any deals for artists and that the artists chose to use the products because they wanted to, not because of deals. That was always the party political line.
    Nope, they do artist deals...
  • Gadget said:
    This is AX8...

That sounds fab!