The cricket thread

What's Hot

Comments

• scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11262
    What a catch by Broad. And a five-fer for Woody. Can we bat out the day? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nothing papers over the cracks like a win in a dead rubber, as nice as it is to see a half decent batting performance. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    Where has Mark Wood been all winter?
    Working on a new run up and playing with the Lions. 

Interesting stat out yesterday:

Ajmal Shahzad really should have done so much more. 

Dead rubber fun, shame Shannon Gabriel's been a twat. 

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11413
    This match going on at the moment is ridiculous.  No balance between bat and ball at all.
  • sixstringsuppliessixstringsupplies Frets: 429
    tFB Trader
    I'm actually finding it boring. Every other ball going to the boundary. MOTM should have gone to one of the bowlers, Wood or Rashid.

As entertaining as Buttler/Gayle innigs were, I hope the WC in England this summer is played on greener/damper pitches and a more even playing field between bat and ball.

World record of 23 sixes in an innings in the 1st ODI, lasted a week, before 24 being struck yesterday. Roll on Test cricket and being 100-5 again.
    For Modders, Makers, Players

https://sixstringsupplies.co.uk/

Our YouTube Channel for handy "How-To" Wiring Tutorials
    If they are going to play on flat pitches like that, then they have to find a white ball that can last 50 overs to at least give the bowlers a chance of reverse swing.  Having a ball at each end is ridiculous.

I think they need to do something about the bats as well.  A mishit should not go for six.
    Well, the MCC world cricket committee have certainly stirred things up with their suggestions.

I'm not sure about artificially trying to speed the game up, players will find a way round it. I'm also not in favour of penalty runs.

I'm definitley not in favour of a free hit after a no-ball. That belongs in one-day cricket and shoud stay there.

As for standardisation of balls, that's long overdue. As long as it's not one of the varieties that turns test cricket into batting marathons, there has to be a proper contest between bat and ball.

They have to speed the game up.  It's ridiculous at the moment.  I don't mind the idea of some kind of countdown, but I don't know if it's the best way.  Maybe they should get a shorter lunch break if they haven't bowled enough overs.  That's a bit unfair on the batsmen though.

I know Richie Benaud was always in favour of reverting to the back foot no-ball rule.  There were two reasons for this.  Firstly, it gave time for the umpire to call no-ball and the batsman to respond, and also it's difficult for the umpire to look at the front foot line, and then refocus at the other end quickly.  It might improve quality of decisions on LBW etc.

I don't think it's good to give one company the monopoly on ball manufacture, but maybe there needs to be a list of approved balls.  At the moment, the Dukes may be the only ball on the list, but you have to give other manufacturers the opportunity to improve their offerings.

The thing they aren't addressing is bats.  The bats these days are ridiculous.  Mishits are going for 6 - that just isn't right.  I don't know whether a maximum thickness on bats would help, but that is one of the biggest issues in the balance between bat and ball.

What in the name of WG Grace's balls is going on?

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3489
    scrumhalf said:

I can't help but feel the ICC by attempting to bring test cricket to a greater number of people will end up alienating it's existing audience. 
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    scrumhalf said:

I can't help but feel the ICC by attempting to bring test cricket to a greater number of people will end up alienating it's existing audience. 
    FFS, can't they just keep the commercial crap in the T20s? What next cheerleaders, fireworks and that poxy trumpet fanfare noise every 10 minutes? This is a traditional sport that has Laws, don't mess with it.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22096
    I don't mind the name and numbers on shirts. Just as long as they never return to those horrible Adidas white sweaters of a few years ago. 

• FastEddieFastEddie Frets: 523
    The name and number thing isn't for me. I like the traditional look for test cricket. 

If I had talent, I'd be talented.
    Red meat and functional mushrooms.
    Persistent and inconsistent guitar player.
    A lefty, hence a fog of permanent frustration

Not enough guitars, pedals, and cricket bats.
    USA Deluxe Strat - Martyn Booth Special - Electromatic
    FX Plex - Cornell Romany
    tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:

I don't mind that - its not an issue when watching on tv as the commentators let you know who is who (if you don't know) but when your'e in the ground watching live its not easy to tell who is fielding where. Its a minor change and suprised its ruffling a few feathers.

I actually think all of the potential changes put forward will benefit test cricket (except free hit) The standardised ball is a must for me though interesting to see how the ball manufacturers move forward. 

You do wonder though, if by trying to speed up test cricket, it would lead to even more abysmal test batting.

scrumhalf said:

I don't mind that - its not an issue when watching on tv as the commentators let you know who is who (if you don't know) but when your'e in the ground watching live its not easy to tell who is fielding where. Its a minor change and suprised its ruffling a few feathers.

I actually think all of the potential changes put forward will benefit test cricket (except free hit) The standardised ball is a must for me though interesting to see how the ball manufacturers move forward. 

You do wonder though, if by trying to speed up test cricket, it would lead to even more abysmal test batting.

Really it isn't a standardised ball but a standardised manufacturer as there are plenty of reports of the red and pink ball behaving differently. 

It is also curious to see how the focus is on the ball yet the standards for Test wickets are arguably lower than the standards for the County Championship. 

FFS, can't they just keep the commercial crap in the T20s? What next cheerleaders, fireworks and that poxy trumpet fanfare noise every 10 minutes? This is a traditional sport that has Laws, don't mess with it.

On Brexit day, Big Ben's chimes are going to be replaced by that trumpet in celebration of taking back control. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13929
    edited March 2019

On Brexit day, Big Ben's chimes are going to be replaced by that trumpet in celebration of taking back control. 

Brexit Day? I reckon Brexit has drifted out of the Houses Of Parliament into the Thames and been washed out into the Channel and washed up on a Normandy beach dead...

FFS, they are messing with my cricket and 3 years after voting to leave the EU we're further away than ever, I'm having a terrible day.

Cricket is made unquestionably better by having crap music blasted out for ten seconds at every opportunity rather than allowing people to talk to each other during a match.

And who can deny that an equisite stroke to the boundary is not improved by having half a dozen vacuous airheads prancing around whilst flames shoot out of buckets placed where the boundary should be.

tFB Trader
    I was very busy today and quickly scrolled past a story on facebook that read something along the lines of Cameron Bancroft appointed Durham Captain for the upcoming season....I scrolled past it so quick I didn't take it in.

Then when I wasn't busy I actually read it properly.
    Very bold decision from Durham CCC.

tFB Trader
    scrumhalf said:

Really it isn't a standardised ball but a standardised manufacturer as there are plenty of reports of the red and pink ball behaving differently. 

It is also curious to see how the focus is on the ball yet the standards for Test wickets are arguably lower than the standards for the County Championship. 
    Yes the wickets are poor, but the standard is very poor as well. I am only 32 but I remember about 15-20 years ago there was a whole array of quality international players in the county game. But the players would do long stints with counties (Akram at Lancs, Warne at Hants, Lehman at Yorks etc...). These days you only get players available for a handful of games, yet alone a full season. 

It is clearly due do how the 20/20 game has evolved and the best players are playing in 20/20 leagues all over the world for good money. It is detrimental to the quality of the English game.