Shure GLXD power supply

LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
So my mate's Shure GLXD16 wireless receiver's power supply conked out at a show recently after the heat shrink part after the block frayed and gave out. He's looking for a replacement one but most seem to be 9-12v, and I think this one runs off a 15v adaptor? He tried a 9v one in rehearsal over the weekend and he had buzzing sounds throughout his signal. Switched heads to start as we thought it was the amp, and then to a cable before it stopped.

I'm guessing these wireless receiver's use a lot of power and it'd need more than a standard 9v adaptor?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I used to power mine with a one spot daisy chain power supply and it worked fine. So I imagine a standard 9v supply would work fine.
  • So why were there buzzing noises coming from his rig when he borrowed the practice room's 9v? Then it went away when he used a cable.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10356
    9 to 15V at least 250mA according to Shure

Some cheap switch mode power supplies will give switching noise and other noise because they are built and sold for peanuts with a lot of important things left out like EMC shielding, AC and DC side isolation ....some have huge ripple voltages sat on top the wanted 9V .... Never use a cheap one from Amazon or Ebay and connect it to something important. 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • I don't know what brand the "loaned" power supply was, it did look like a cheap one and he was using a power strip as well.

We checked all the other connections and the buzzing noise only went away when we took the wireless out the equation.
  • KrisGeeKrisGee Frets: 1264
    So why were there buzzing noises coming from his rig when he borrowed the practice room's 9v? Then it went away when he used a cable.
    Because sometimes practice rooms use cheap shite to save on costs. What's  advertised as 'state of the art PA in each rehearsal room' usually is an old beat up powermixer with scratchy pots and cabs that fall apart when you move them. Nothing unusual in Stoke at least.
    I ran mine of a pedal board PS for a long time without issues, for a total peace of mind tho just order a shure replacement.