Pedals You Lost/Forgot You Had

What's Hot
gibsongretschfangibsongretschfan Frets: 1050
The other half was clearing out a cupboard and found a Danelectro Corned Beef reverb pedal and a Marshall Jackhammer that I probably haven't seen in well over a decade. Didn't even realise I still had them.

The reverb is actually kinda fun, it's almost like a slap back kinda thing happening. 

However the Jackhammer is a bit of a surprise. I bought that pedal when I was about 16 trying to find something to give me a Smashing Pumpkins Zero sound.... so being 16 I looked for the pedal in the shop with the nastiest sounding drive I could find lol

I always thought they were pretty shit but having just plugged it in I was able to get a decent plexi and JCM800 tone happening fairly quickly. Taming the bass is important with this pedal and I even got to grips with the pernickety scoop frequency knob.

Having played a literal shit ton of MIAB style pedals I'm not sure that any of them were really massively any better than the Jackhammer.... which I've had since before I lost my virginity.... and was in a box under the stairs all along.....

But anyway, has anyone else ever found a pedal or effect that they forgot even existed and ended up being pleasantly surprised by it?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 335
    When we last moved house I (actually my wife) lost a carrier bag with at least half a dozen pedals in it. It's somewhere in storage but I won't be seeing it for a while.

I know what two of the pedals are but have no clue about the others.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    The biggest problem I have is I go looking for pedals that I forgot I sold.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markvmarkv Frets: 459
    I think I've mentioned this before - I have an ancient Ken Multi MCP-7 Compressor that I bought at Maplins decades ago, when I was a penniless student. It cost nearly £30! It's a horrible grey plastic all over and generally feels astonishingly cheap. It got put in a box when I got a real BOSS pedal and forgotten about.

About 2 years ago I found it in a box and tried it out again. It's actually pretty good, basically a BOSS CS-2 copy.
  • octatonic said:
    The biggest problem I have is I go looking for pedals that I forgot I sold.
    This is the saddest of all things. A bit like dreaming you're on holiday but waking up and realising you have to go to school... but worse
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I found a Marshall Drivemaster in the back of my Marshall Valvestate about five years ago. I bought it when it came out and stuck it in the amp about a month later.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I found a Marshall Drivemaster in the back of my Marshall Valvestate about five years ago. I bought it when it came out and stuck it in the amp about a month later.
    Amazing 
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    as an adjunct to this, what about old pedals that you've given up on but years later match them up with newer pedals and get an amazing unpredictable result!??

This is why I never sell pedals...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    About 10 years ago I bought a Digitec - Screamin Blues (Overdrive/Distotion) pedal for about £30.00 new. I'm not a big fan of pedals generally but wanted something to give a bit of extra drive. I was pleasantly surprised that something so cheap didn't sound too bad. Well I found it a few weeks ago having "lost" it many years previous, and thought it may sound OK with my slide guitar set up, and yes the roughness around the edges (which I didn't like when I first bought it) is perfect for the slide sound I was looking for. Happy days!
  • lukedlblukedlb Frets: 488
    When my mum cleaned out her office, she threw away my gig bag with all my cables, leslie kit, a vox wah, a dod overdrive, an old echo pedal, and more I’m sure. Life goes on. 
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_VaderDave_Vader Frets: 359
    57Deluxe said:
    as an adjunct to this, what about old pedals that you've given up on but years later match them up with newer pedals and get an amazing unpredictable result!??

This is why I never sell pedals...
    My Shin-Ei FY2 clone that was basically an unusable noise for anything other than single notes (which are heavenly) until I put a treble booster in front of it while thinking of buying a Thorpy Veteran.
    It's bloody marvelous, and had been sitting in a box for years doing nothing.

There's a couple of old ones I wish I still had to try out again - most notably a home-brew boost thing I got on ebay that was untameably lovely and the Marshall Shredmaster I sold as soon as I found out it was worth twice what I paid for it.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 4896
    I have an MXR Micro Amp somewhere.

I expect I'll eventually buy another and then find it soon after.
  • Bought a Dr. Scientist BitQuest years ago and for one reason or another, never got on with it. Picked it up again and it blew me away. Nothing like it on my board.
    We are a UK based, family run company retailing guitar effects pedals and accessories online. 
    https://www.breakthemachine.co.uk  connect@breakthemachine.co.uk
  • In 2000 I discovered my mint early 90’s Marshall Shredmaster in a dusty black bin bag amongst other university belongings, my parents were very close to throwing the stuff out. I bought it from musical exchange in brum but I was never really keen on the sound