Big muff advice

What's Hot
NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
edited April 2019 in FX
I have decided that I would like a Big Muff on my board. I don't want to get too spendy so things like the EQD and JHS are out.

If I keep it to just the EHX offerings, how on earth do you choose which one?

Based on listening to various YouTube clips (some of which are pretty decent quality)
I really like the Green Russian reissue. But is it too bassy in reality? I could easily EQ the low end if needed.
The op amp Muff is the sound of the Smashing Pumpkins, but is it too harsh / a one trick pony?
The triangle Muff sounds cool, but it is a little spiky and that could get old quite quickly.
The 'standard' Muff is a bit, er, 'muffled' and would probably just get lost in the mix.
The Deluxe Muff is too big for my board.
The Bass Muff sounds like it is meant for bass, not guitar.
The Tone Wicker Muff is, wait, what is a Tone Wicker again?

Aaaargghh! Help!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    What amp and guitar will you be using most of the time?
    That will dictate any suggestion really.
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919
    Tone wicker for me is the best value, as bypapping the tone basically gives you two muffs (oo er). I really liked mine, and only sold it because I wanted to hold on to a boutique triangle muff, that in essence, probably isn't as versatile, therefore good.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • andypandyp Frets: 332
    I have the new Op-Amp one and think it's brilliant. It seems more versatile than the Green Russian, to me at least. It has a tone knob and tone bypass switch and seems to be able to do a lot of different sounds. I wanted to try it back to back with the Green Russian, but never got to that stage as one or the other was always out of stock locally. I saw a used one on eBay for about £45 buy it now and bought it on the spot, surely a candidate for one of the best value pedals ever. :)

From what I can gather from the numerous online videos, the Green Russian sounds too dark for me, so I think I made the right choice, despite having been pretty baffled by all the options before I bought the Op-Amp one.

Andy
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    octatonic said:
    What amp and guitar will you be using most of the time?
    That will dictate any suggestion really.
    Amp is an Atomic Amplifire. Will probably use either a clean Fender or Marshall model.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I have a Bass Big Muff I'm selling.

It's actually a Green Russian circuit with a clean blend and a switchable bass boost. 

Works really well on guitar. I think it's marketed as the Bass Big Muff because it has a dry output which can be used to run it wet and dry to two amps which is what a lot of bass players do.
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 650
    I have the Deluxe Big Muff, its not really that big..... has a daft about of tone shaping.
  • CleckoClecko Frets: 295
    Do you have a tubescreamer-type pedal? I have a standard BM and it is quite muffled, as you say. However, stick a TS-style pedal in front of it (I use a Vox Valve Tone) and I haven't heard a better sounding Muff-style fuzz. 

Interestingly, the same approach applies in the Helix!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Clecko said:
    Do you have a tubescreamer-type pedal? I have a standard BM and it is quite muffled, as you say. However, stick a TS-style pedal in front of it (I use a Vox Valve Tone) and I haven't heard a better sounding Muff-style fuzz. 

Interestingly, the same approach applies in the Helix!

Yep, best Muff sounds are stacked.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    edited April 2019
    To my ears just comparing demo videos the tone wicker one has the best sound and options. I prefer a crunchy/raw sounding fuzz over that super smooth Gilmour style big muff tone. My mate has a Big Muff Deluxe which is pretty decent and very versatile with the gate and mid boost.

At the minute my fuzz of choice is a Fuzz War clone but the tone stack is odd and doesn't work that well with my Marshall. It was better with my Laney.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3347
    edited April 2019
    Thanks all for your advice.

Reverb just gave me a 15% off offer on a Green Russian reissue. Couldn't resist....

I have the option to add boosts before it ( ep boost, soul food) or after it (screamer or clean boost models in the Amplifire), as well as eq (peq, lowpass, highpass, geq) so there's a ton of possibilities....

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    The new Green Russian, I dont find Bassy...the tone control has quite a wide range, so it can be set quite trebly, there is loads of gain, stacks great with a Hudson Sidecar.....
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2178
    The op amp muff is a pretty specific sound,  I would look for a used hoof. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    Now there's a thread title. I prefer small ones myself :D
  • starwarsnosebleedstarwarsnosebleed Frets: 2357
    edited April 2019
    I got a madebymike IC78 big muff.
    Great quality and has optional mid controls to improve cutting through the mix.
    think it was about £85
  • You'll like your new Green Russian. I love mine. Definitely not too bassy, but can get bass in spades if you want it. Tone control, as said, has a wide range.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Russian is best. Black is better than green, but the green reissue is much more convenient, obviously.

Try a Klone into the front.
  • Rich210Rich210 Frets: 577
    Just picked up a green russian when I should be Xmas shopping. Great pedal to my ears, it's definitely plug and play! 
  • I love the GR and the new Ram's Head. But the GR is definitely my favourite. It's just perfect when stacked with something like a BD-2 or Klone. I run mine with a TD-X or SS-3 and it has harmonics for days.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • No love for the Little Big Muff? Thought I'd bring it up given it's pretty much the only one not mentioned so far!
  • I had a look through some vids of the EQD fuzz pedal options last night, and some food for thought there. The erupter looks pretty cool, and basic, with the gate effect.