Patrick James Eggle Acoustics

What's Hot

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    I never consider the value of moving a guitar on. I buy because I want the guitar. I'd love an Eggle!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Fifty9Fifty9 Frets: 491
    ThorpyFX said:
    I have a Brook and it is incredible.... I’d have an Eggle acoustic in a heartbeat. I have several of his new style electrics and wouldn’t be surprised if the acoustics were as good as the electrics. They have become my favourite instruments.

buy the Eggle, if not..... please tell me where it is and I’ll buy it. 

@ThorpyFX there’s 2 in Guitar Classics in Battersea. A few other great guitars also with a brook (or two) Atkin, Gibsons, Martins and a Fylde.
  • danishbacondanishbacon Frets: 2694
    I'm dropping my atkin the workshop next thursday for a setup. Happy to ask any questions for you. 
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5378
    Fifty9 said:
    Cheers. A quick google has andertons with a choice of 2 brand new ones at just 400 more! I presume that means the peach price is 'a bit toppy' at 85% of the cost of a brand new one? Or do high end acoustics just not depreciate much from new?
    Might be the “essentials” models that are just a bit more? The one at Peach is the regular version, so would retail at over £3k I think. 

Even so, seems about right as has been mentioned - Coda had one earlier this year for similar money. I think they just don’t turn up that often and being a relic already is always gonna be in “as new” condition, so a lot of people are happy to just pocket the few hundred. 

Bodes well for resale value on them!
  • Atkin Atkin Atkin... Once you have met he guys and visited the workshop and watched the videos and played the guitar you simply know that this is a company searching for the holy grail.
  • Moe_ZambeekMoe_Zambeek Frets: 3419
    My opinion of the Eggles I’ve tried is they are...quite nice. However my opinion of them now is tainted by the batch he made where the filler reacted with the finish and ended up with the guitars getting little bumps all
    over - like they had the pox :) They seem to stick around a while so may be tough to sell.

I’ve tried a few Atkins and really didn’t like them - I thought the relicing was awful and the fretwork poor. Lots of folks here like them though. They are everywhere now as well, so I’d expect the prices to soften as supply has increased.

The Brooks I’ve tried have been lovely - wonderful finishes and really nice, easy playing guitars but the necks are thin - so also not for everyone! Fylde...can’t stand the necks and the zero frets, they have a heavy 70s / 80s vibe to me, guitars from another era.

If I had to spend the money I’d look at Collings or Bourgeois, both of which are generally impeccable.

Having said that, I’ve been after a new acoustic for ages and I got the impression that the market was saturated - lots of guitars hanging around for a long time unless heavily discounted. I feel maybe the retailers went all-in on the acoustic boom of the past 5 years and may have overshot the target...so finance packages and the like from the shops may be affecting the used market.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    edited April 2019
    ThorpyFX said:
    I have a Brook and it is incredible.... I’d have an Eggle acoustic in a heartbeat. I have several of his new style electrics and wouldn’t be surprised if the acoustics were as good as the electrics. They have become my favourite instruments.

buy the Eggle, if not..... please tell me where it is and I’ll buy it. 
    I played a Brook a few years back that came with the best story, I really hope its true!

Apparently the tone wood used to make the guitar came from a tree from some fancy estate i cant remember that fell in a huge storm and was originally planted by Queen Victoria. That kind of thing suckers me right in!

I also have a Patrick Eggle Stratford Pro, one of his first attempts at acoustics before PRS bought the name.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    Atkin Atkin Atkin... Once you have met he guys and visited the workshop and watched the videos and played the guitar you simply know that this is a company searching for the holy grail.
    Then you play all the other brands coda have in stock and you realise atkin are really quite meh
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    Atkin Atkin Atkin... Once you have met he guys and visited the workshop and watched the videos and played the guitar you simply know that this is a company searching for the holy grail.
    Then you play all the other brands coda have in stock and you realise atkin are really quite meh
    In what respect?
  • AuldReekieAuldReekie Frets: 196
    Within your budget, look out for a second hand McIlRoy, made by a former Lowden employee and very good quality. Eagle acoustics have great build quality but totally I find quite bland.  Never played an Atkins so cannot comment and find nothing about Fyldes to get excited about.  Other option, save a bit more money and order a Forster- fabulous instruments way ahead of anything else mentioned here.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10337
    In what respect?
    So my biggest judge was the sound. In the price range I always found that a rival Martin or Taylor sounded better, played better and had a nicer voicing. 
    Perhaps it was a bad batch, I cant say for sure. I tried 5 or 6 of them and I was honestly underwhelmed. YMMV and all that jazz. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    I tried a PJE baritone
    It was good but not outstanding, unlike the Avalon one I now own
    Avalon are probably the best value for top-level guitars, especially when buying used
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11791
    In what respect?
    So my biggest judge was the sound. In the price range I always found that a rival Martin or Taylor sounded better, played better and had a nicer voicing. 
    Perhaps it was a bad batch, I cant say for sure. I tried 5 or 6 of them and I was honestly underwhelmed. YMMV and all that jazz. 
    I think I tried Atkin and can't remember any strong opinion

Just to calibrate your statement, what other brands have you tried against Martin and Taylor? I can think of half a dozen brands that are way better
    I tried a PJE baritone
    It was good but not outstanding, unlike the Avalon one I now own
    Avalon are probably the best value for top-level guitars, especially when buying used
    Would love to try an Avalon someday. I played a Walden baritone that was wicked, only acoustic baritone I've ever played though.

Regarding the Atkin thing - I get that relic jobs are not for everyone. Not for me, but I appreciate there's a market. I've handled a couple and they've both been excellent, about 6 years apart in build age. I imagine his earlier work was not up to the standard of today's stuff. I've also handled some very high end instruments, Collings, santa cruz, 7-15k gems at the north americanorth american guitar and fit and finish wise, at least the Atkin I own is excellent and compares very favourably. It's not as refined as some intricate luthier work nor is it perhaps as polished as a Collings but we're talking about instruments that retail at half of what a good Collings costs and far less on the used market. 

Fret-job on mine is excellent. No defects, hidden edges, superbly finished. Perhaps what @Moe_Zambeek referred to was a dud, but I've not handled 15 Atkins so I don't have an established baseline. 

I played one very good Martin, out of maybe 5 or 6 Martin's I played and it was a late 80s D28. I owned a more recent D16 which was fine but uninteresting. Furch D22cm did rounds on it.
    I digress, not sure how this is of any help at all to OP and his quest for a PJE, but I stand by my advice. Play as much as you can side by side, handle them, look at the binding work, the weight, glue runoff in the construction, neck joint, wood choice etc and find the guitar that speaks to you, irrespective of what's on the headstock. I know this is easier said than done, especially as a member of a GAS fuelled forum where residual values really matter if you are on hopelessly long term quest to find 'the one'. I once had and sold 'the one'. In hindsight it was a lesson as I now have a really good benchmark and have discovered that there are equally excellent guitars to be had just a few lumps of wood down the line.
    All v helpful chaps as I am new to high end acoustics. Cheers Danish, sound advice. I’ll take my time I think. My recording king is a nice guitar so helps manage the GAS and I’m more a collector than player in all honesty so no need to rush. I’ll enjoy the journey of trying the different brands. Need a trip to the north American guitars store I think. 
    If you head to London also try to visit Ivor Maraints, they've also got a nice selection downstairs.
    Will do.
    cheers
  • kjdowdkjdowd Frets: 852
    If you head to London also try to visit Ivor Maraints, they've also got a nice selection downstairs.
    Good selection of Santa Cruz as well, which are always excellent
  • JoolsJools Frets: 22
    My two pence worth on Faith, they are very very good value, I had a Blood Moon Venus for around 10 months which is a thing of beauty obviously from the Trembesi but also from the finish quality.

However I had an issue with the saddle but was offered a replacement without question but due to high demand it would be a 2-3month wait for another. My local shop suggested I try the Neptune as it has a bit more bass in it and they suggested it had a better sound than the Venus.

Long story shorter, while trying the Neptune I picked up a PJE Legacy Earth and was gobsmacked at how much better the sound was, the torrefied spruce really gave it an aged sound, I walked out the shop with that one and it's been my go to acoustic ever since.

I am going to check out Atkin's now though :) but just a final thought, if you don't want to lose money on potential resale later, why don't you buy second hand, unless you know you're buying a future collectors item you will always lose a big chunk when buying new?
    Bit of a left field option appeared yesterday. A Gibson J45 AG walnut with cutaway.

It’s the J45 type I’m after which led me to the PJE Kanuga and this post. Anyhow, what’re the views on here of those that have tried them. And it’s back to my original budget of 1k for a mint one.
    Cheers all