How can I stop acoustics hanging on the wall resonating with electric amps in the same room?

What's Hot
ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
Currently, my music room is partitioned, so the acoustics don't ring out when I play electric
But if I remove the partitions, or further increase my acoustic to electric ratio, I'll need to hang acoustics on the wall in the same space as my amps

Is there a best way to do this?

I was thinking maybe something like a velcro strap around the fingerboard, like those ones people use for doing tapping on electrics
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    I'd imagine that some sort of soft cloth stuffed between the strings and fret board will suffice? 
  • Gruv Gear Fret Wrap

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 9498
    Mike them up to add a ghostly ambience to your electric guitar recordings. Plus the wood will get artificially played in and they will sound better.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    edited April 2019
    Fret wraps work fairly well, but if I wind an amp up loud I can still hear the acoustic guitars humming a bit.
    At that point I either put the guitars in a case or turn the amp down.
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited April 2019
    Fret wraps cover just one spot. I would be inclined to slide a duster between the fretboard and strings to damp them over as much of the length of the fretboard as you can.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    as everyone has said, damping the strings would be the obvious 1st port of call, however I wonder if it's a frequency thing as well. I've noticed that my acoustic rings/vibrates a bit when I play my fiddle, which isn't especially loud but is quite high pitched. 

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    I wedge a used pair of underpants between the strings. I can lend them to you, if you like.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
    Philtre said:
    I wedge a used pair of underpants between the strings. I can lend them to you, if you like.
    Does that come with extra mojo?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    octatonic said:
    Fret wraps work fairly well, but if I wind an amp up loud I can still hear the acoustic guitars humming a bit.
    the strings or the soundboard?
  • VimFuego said:
    as everyone has said, damping the strings would be the obvious 1st port of call, however I wonder if it's a frequency thing as well. I've noticed that my acoustic rings/vibrates a bit when I play my fiddle, which isn't especially loud but is quite high pitched. 

It can be sympathetic vibration.

You can observe this on a guitar. Play the note of an open string on another string and that string will vibrate.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    You could detune the acoustics a tad so they don't resonate. If that fails, I'm afraid the only solution is the wedged underpants.
    octatonic said:
    the strings or the soundboard?
    Well they make up a system so kinda both.
    I have one guitar that has a resonant frequency around G and it tweaks anytime I play a loud G though an amp.
    That guitar lives in its case now.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Fold up a duster neatly and put it between the strings and the top of the guitar between the soundhole and the bridge. That will also stop that bit getting dusty, which is where it's hard to clean normally.

Just be careful if it's a nitro finish - the dye from cloths can leach into it. If that's a possibility then I'm afraid the white cotton underpants may be the only solution...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

ICBM said:
    Fold up a duster neatly and put it between the strings and the top of the guitar between the soundhole and the bridge. That will also stop that bit getting dusty, which is where it's hard to clean normally.

Just be careful if it's a nitro finish - the dye from cloths can leach into it. If that's a possibility then I'm afraid the white cotton underpants may be the only solution...
    what about French polish?
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    ToneControl said:

I'd be careful about that too. Probably best to stick to putting it between the strings and the fingerboard.

For what it's worth, unless you're actually recording or something where it becomes a real problem, you're actually better to let the acoustics ring - it makes them sound better. This isn't a joke... it even affects electric guitars and basses. I've lost count of the number of guitars that have come into the shop to be sold - usually having been kept in a case - and they sound dead and un-resonant, even with new strings. But after they've been hanging on the shop walls for a few weeks with all the noise from amps being tried, they 'magically' sound better - sometimes really amazingly so.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ICBM said:

Softer and more fragile- be more careful.

• I have four acoustics hanging in my sitting room. When the dog barks, or anyone sitting close to one talks, the strings join in. I currently have a black napkin tied around the strings and fretboard but shall be trying these suggestions. 
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    edited November 2021
    ICBM said:

euphemism ?  

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • Balrog68Balrog68 Frets: 100
    One of Mrs Balrogs hair scrunchies does the trick.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13564
    I have four acoustics hanging in my sitting room. When the dog barks, or anyone sitting close to one talks, the strings join in. I currently have a black napkin tied around the strings and fretboard but shall be trying these suggestions. 
    thats odd,   I have two dogs and when I start playing,  they start barking.   TBH they actually accompany me on the blues harp (must get a video of that)

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom