What's in a name?

So.....I was sat with my acoustic the other night thinking what I could have a go at playing fingerstyle.....and the tune to a children's TV theme tune from the 1960s got in my head. The programme was called Tales of the Riverbank. I made a decent attempt at playing it (the missus heard it and recognised the tune). Not realising until I checked it out on YouTube a few hours later and saw some guitarist playing Mauro Giuliani's Andante in C.........same tune but with an extra passage to it. I reckon the whole piece might be within my limited playing capabilities if I can get the TAB for it or watch it on the toob a thousand times.

A bit of a project for me........learning something more structured than just banging out chords.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Yes it was an early piece I learned as far back as 1970 from other players at art school (not the real deal. just the bit from the TV program). There was a very similar tune on childrens TV in the 60s using the same pick pattern and structure. I'm sure it was the same guitarist doing it. They made a good medley together.

Good luck with the tab.
    BTW I used to play it in C
    I sometimes think, therefore I am intermittent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Over the decades I've occasionally picked at that "Tales of the Riverbank" theme as it seemed a good piece and held fond memories of small black and white TV sets that warmed up as the valves got going. I should have a go at the whole Andante and push my boundries of fingerstyle a little.

• droflufdrofluf Frets: 3612
    So.....I was sat with my acoustic the other night thinking what I could have a go at playing fingerstyle.....and the tune to a children's TV theme tune from the 1960s got in my head. The programme was called Tales of the Riverbank. I made a decent attempt at playing it (the missus heard it and recognised the tune). Not realising until I checked it out on YouTube a few hours later and saw some guitarist playing Mauro Giuliani's Andante in C.........same tune but with an extra passage to it. I reckon the whole piece might be within my limited playing capabilities if I can get the TAB for it or watch it on the toob a thousand times.

A bit of a project for me........learning something more structured than just banging out chords.
    Your wish etc. https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/mauro_giuliani/andante_in_c_tabs_1087143 :)

Tales from the Riverbank was one of my favourite shows when I was much, much younger.
  • Thanks for the links to the TAB folks. 
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    Ahhh - memories of Hammy the Hamster et al. Thanks for the trip down memory lane, the tabs and a pleasant 15 mins playing this lovely little piece.
    @StanleyAccrington you’re welcome!

@GTC I’m impressed. I downloaded the tab but it will take 15 weeks for me to get a recognisable version
  • GTCGTC Frets: 261
    drofluf said:
    @StanleyAccrington you’re welcome!

@GTC I’m impressed. I downloaded the tab but it will take 15 weeks for me to get a recognisable version
    The problem is that I can't get the thing out of my head now!
    I can think of worse tunes to get stuck in my head. If you like I’ll suggest one. But you probably won’t thank me for it....