Newbie saying hello and need some advice please

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    Here is a pic of the pickups I got from ash at oil city pickups, What a great bloke and a great service and I can't wait to get this build going so I can hear these babies....excited http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk170/nutbox76/Mobile Uploads/20140423_200442_zpstxvdowxy.jpg Cheers dazz
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Hi, Dazz

Can be got at any of the main DIY stores (Homebase / B&Q / ect)  I'm sure others would do OK too but PVA is used for such a lot of things and some are too thin.  This one is easy to get hold of and has never let me down.

Did you manage to view the 'how to' links?  They cover most of the main things to do.  Just ask if you are not sure 
    :)

Andy
    nutbox said:
     And would I need to grain filler the veneer before I dye it? Cheers dazz
    I tend not to grain fill if it's a tight grained veneer.  If you do, then yes - grain fill first but make sure it is a filler that will take stain and also, once filled, sand down back to the veneer so the dye can absorb properly into it.  What is your final top coat finish going to be?  Varnish or something like tru-oil?
    Yeah that's the one I got but the blue one which is waterproof. Also could you suggest how to round the bodies edges ,I have managed to sand most of it round but at the horns it's hard to get the sander into? Thanks for your help dazz
    I was thinking of going with what you suggested for the top coat because your sg just looks great, I have managed to find the same ink but a rip off price from hobbycraft of £11. Cheers dazz
    Hi, Dazz

I think the blue bottle PVA should work just fine. 

For the SG, I used no grain filler.  I finish sanded it, applied the dye and then applied a 4-5 coats of polyurethane varnish un-thinned.  I let it properly dry  and then wet sanded it with 600 wet n dry to 'flatten' it.  Be very careful not to go through to the wood though, otherwise it will sand off your dye!  
    I then applied a number of coats of varnish, thinned by 30% white spirits, wiped on with a microfibre cloth, lightly wet sanded with 1000 grit wet n dry every 3-4 coats.
    Final wet sandings at 2000 grit wet n dry.  Then final wipe on of varnish, let it dry thoroughly (1-2 weeks), then final polish with brown wrapping paper (yes - really!)

Ref your body sanding, I would just take the sharp corner off with some sandpaper wrapped round anything to hand (bit of scrap 20mmx20mm strip? I even used an old PC mouse once - it has a flat side and a curved side!

There are 7 parts to the veneering blog on the link I gave above, all dating back to Jan 2014.  Shout if you can't find them and I'll post the individual links

Andy   
    Cheers andy I have read all of the a few times now just need to get on now lol So is all the varnishing done with ronseal hardglaze? Cheers dazz
    Yes - I used to use truoil but found it would dull off over time. The Ronseal sort of does what it says on the tin! :))
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SambostarSambostar Frets: 8745
    Hi, Dazz

I think the blue bottle PVA should work just fine. 

For the SG, I used no grain filler.  I finish sanded it, applied the dye and then applied a 4-5 coats of polyurethane varnish un-thinned.  I let it properly dry  and then wet sanded it with 600 wet n dry to 'flatten' it.  Be very careful not to go through to the wood though, otherwise it will sand off your dye!  
    I then applied a number of coats of varnish, thinned by 30% white spirits, wiped on with a microfibre cloth, lightly wet sanded with 1000 grit wet n dry every 3-4 coats.
    Final wet sandings at 2000 grit wet n dry.  Then final wipe on of varnish, let it dry thoroughly (1-2 weeks), then final polish with brown wrapping paper (yes - really!)

Ref your body sanding, I would just take the sharp corner off with some sandpaper wrapped round anything to hand (bit of scrap 20mmx20mm strip? I even used an old PC mouse once - it has a flat side and a curved side!

There are 7 parts to the veneering blog on the link I gave above, all dating back to Jan 2014.  Shout if you can't find them and I'll post the individual links

Andy   
    Got to say you must have some proper oldskool sanding talent and patience.  I wish I could paint my Transit like that.  That finish is phenomenal.
    Backdoor Children Of The Sock
    Not really patience, @sambostar, it was simply discovering the magic of thinning varnish and wipe on methods with microfiber cloths. Before that I had the patience of a crazed werewolf.