NGD: Seagull S6 Original QIT

What's Hot
TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
edited April 2019 in Acoustics
After a couple of enjoyable hours playing various low-mid priced acoustics in Glasgow yesterday, this one came home with me.

It’s actually my second S6 original, the first being the pre spec change shorter scale version which I sold a few years back. That one played great but wasn’t quite the sound I was looking for at the time. Several acoustics have come and gone since, I now have a Martin Clapton signature “keeper” and know what I want a bit better.

I was looking for a garden/ travel guitar which also offered something a bit different to the Martin- different woods and larger body ideally.

Suffice to say after playing multiple different makes and types I came back to this one. Subjectively, I think the longer scale makes this updated version a bit brighter and punchier than my previous S6 but I could be misremembering. They no longer come with nice Seagull branded gig bags but still excellent value. The QIT pickup sounded natural through a Fishman amp in the store but I’ll rarely use it- the onboard tuner is very handy though!

I think this is still the best dreadnought style acoustic in the circa £500 price bracket and it beats most competitors (including, for me, Seagulls own all solid mahogany back Artist Mosaic model at twice the price). In my experience you need to spend about £1500 more than these cost to improve on tone and playability. Build quality is fantastic and the matt finish varnish is preferably to the gloss poly you find on other budget brands.

https://imgur.com/gallery/jfMUIUg
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Chris_JChris_J Frets: 139
    Congrats!

I think all of the Godin family acoustics are great for the money.

I used to have a Norman dred, owned it for 20 years and it sounded fantastic.
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    edited April 2019
    I've read that the bodies on these can get worn really quickly? Thoughts? I have one of these in my lineup for choosing a new guitar...
  • munckeemunckee Frets: 12253
    I have a Simon & Patrick SP6 Cedar from c2003 which gets better sounding every year I think.  The satin finish is extremely worn looking, it scratches if you look at it and has worn shiny where my arm rests but that's no issue to me.

Missus munckee recently allowed me to hang it on a hanger in the lounge which none of my electrics have ever been approved to do.
    Anyone I've ever played always felt good
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1845
    I've read that the bodies on these can get worn really quickly? Thoughts? I have one of these in my lineup for choosing a new guitar...
    Yeah it’s a combination of the soft cedar and thin satin varnish. They look cool very quickly!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 549
    Regret selling my S6 . . . Great guitar but I didn't really appreciate quite how good it was until I tried to find a replacement . . .
    I ended up spending nearly a grand on a second hand Taylor . . . Then the penny dropped :-(
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    edited April 2019
    They really are great guitars for the money. I've fancied getting an S6 Original for quite a few years but have never gotten around to is cos I've got a perfectly decent Walden Supranatura that sounds great but is just a wee bit too slim in the nut-width department.

Those Seagull Originals have a 1.8 inch width on the nut, one of the widest available. I found that extra size really suits a fat-fingered finger-picker like me (try saying that last bit after a few pints )
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
    I’m down to choosing between a seagull s6, big baby taylor, Yamaha csf all solid. Convince me that I should look at the seagull before the others! Yamaha is all solid ..... 
    I’m down to choosing between a seagull s6, big baby taylor, Yamaha csf all solid. Convince me that I should look at the seagull before the others! Yamaha is all solid ..... 
    I’d forget the all solid part unless that’s a key criteria for you. I A-B’d an S6 vs Seagulls artist mosaic (all solid cedar top and mahogany back). The mosaic cost twice the price and for me the S6 sounded better, and that’s Seagull vs Seagull. In terms of value:quality the S6 is unbeatable but when you get up to the mosaic at £1000 there is a lot more competition from other brands. My S6 would easily hang with a Gibson Hummingbird I parted company with recently. It has its own tone- almost as bright as an average Taylor but not quite. Distinctively clear note separation.  Woody.

equalsql said:
    They really are great guitars for the money. I've fancied getting an S6 Original for quite a few years but have never gotten around to is cos I've got a perfectly decent Walden Supranatura that sounds great but is just a wee bit too slim in the nut-width department.

Those Seagull Originals have a 1.8 inch width on the nut, one of the widest available. I found that extra size really suits a fat-fingered finger-picker like me (try saying that last bit after a few pints )
    I’m with you on this front and am into fingerpicking however I’d say the seagull isn’t perfect for that if you need wide spacing. String spacing at the nut measures almost identically to my Martin Clapton (which has a 1 3/4 nut) but the Seagull is quite a bit tighter at the bridge (around 2 1/8 vs the martins 2 1-4) and while I can manage fingerpicking on it my right hand notices the difference. The tighter spacing is on the other hand probably better for strumming and pick work.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    TINMAN82 said:
    I’d forget the all solid part unless that’s a key criteria for you. I A-B’d an S6 vs Seagulls artist mosaic (all solid cedar top and mahogany back). The mosaic cost twice the price and for me the S6 sounded better, and that’s Seagull vs Seagull. In terms of value:quality the S6 is unbeatable but when you get up to the mosaic at £1000 there is a lot more competition from other brands. My S6 would easily hang with a Gibson Hummingbird I parted company with recently. It has its own tone- almost as bright as an average Taylor but not quite. Distinctively clear note separation.  Woody.
    All solid, not so much a deal breaker, but doesn't the "marketing" say that they open up better over time? I'd say the Seagull is back in the lead again for me, ahead of the Big Baby Taylor.
    edited April 2019
    TINMAN82 said:
    All solid, not so much a deal breaker, but doesn't the "marketing" say that they open up better over time? I'd say the Seagull is back in the lead again for me, ahead of the Big Baby Taylor.
    I think it’s the top that opens up, and you get a solid top on the S6. The tough laminate wild cherry back on the S6 (a laminate of solid pieces of cherry wood) creates good volume and projection. Not played the big baby but I A-B’d the seagull against a Taylor 114ce (at £799) and preferred the S6’s tone. It definitely sounds like a more expensive guitar. I had to get up to a Taylor 414ce (>£2k) before I felt the tone equalled or surpassed the S6. That’s purely going by ears- I own a Clapton sig and could have afforded a bit more than the S6. The other benefit of the S6 is that it’s relatively cheap and easily replaceable as they are so consistent. So a great summer garden/ BBQ guitar that can sit outside for a while- unlike the Clapton!
    Also- the feel of the wide neck is good for me but mabye try the S6 slim if you prefer narrower necks.
    One more thing- if anyone is looking for the non QIT(electro) version I can totally vouch for the one Merchant city music (Glasgow) currently have in stock.
    edited April 2019
    I have a Martin DC15E, so like the neck profile on that. I'm not sure how different it would be to an S6, but again, any Seagull S6 I played before were fine.

Did you try a S6 Coastline Momentum at all?