Dreadnoughts or Jumbos? Which is best for fingerpicking?

ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11788
I have been assuming for a long time that (since I know I like the sound of larger guitars, and I fingerpick, using a bit of nail) jumbo guitars and "auditorium" body shapes were the default

I just saw this on NK Forster's site:
https://www.nkforsterguitars.com/blog/the-best-sounding-acoustic-guitar-ive-ever-made/
which basically says he's built a dreadnought that is his best ever:
An Indian rosewood and torrefied sitka spruce Model D-SS.
And it was the best sounding guitar I’ve ever made. Or worked on. And I mean the best sounding guitar since I started the trade in 1988. A truly magnificent sounding guitar, and nothing like a traditional American D guitar. It sounds like my Model S or C but with a warmth you can’t get from a guitar with a tight waist.

I had a look at my guitars, and realised that most of the ones I think have exceptional tone are dreadnoughts

I will have to rethink what I hope for in future: perhaps get a 12 fret dreadnought with a cutaway

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mgawmgaw Frets: 5239
    I have ended up with a Thompson Dreadnought D-MA never enjoyed fingerstyle more, got the volume and the big tone that I like, and cos its soooooooooooo well made is super responsive
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    I had a Martin 000-18, then I bought a D-18 (both the recent re-booted versions with forward shifted bracing etc).  After a couple of weeks comparing the two with fingerstyle, I eventually realised the D-18 does basically everything I need from an acoustic guitar and sold the 000-18.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    My favourite guitar ever for any style of playing is my Gibson Dove, which is a dreadnought. I mostly play fingerstyle.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Same story here. I play mainly fingers on a Yam FG200. Bloody awesome. I tend to mute the base with my palm. It/they can be a bit boomey
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2418
    I believe all Paul Simon’s guitar on the Simon & Garfunkel records was a Martin dread and that sounded really nice to my ear.
  • Andy79Andy79 Frets: 888
    Jimbro66 said:
    I believe all Paul Simon’s guitar on the Simon & Garfunkel records was a Martin dread and that sounded really nice to my ear.
    Guild early on. Yamaha a bit later. I think he only pretty recently started using a Martin 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    edited May 2019
    Andy79 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Guild early on. Yamaha a bit later. I think he only pretty recently started using a Martin 
    Looks like a Martin 12-string on this old album cover I used to have. (Which is why I guessed that in the other thread.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• teradaterada Frets: 5113
    edited May 2019
    ICBM said:
    Andy79 said:
    Jimbro66 said:
    Looks like a Martin 12-string on this old album cover I used to have. (Which is why I guessed that in the other thread.)

It’s actually a Gibson seagul limited edition. Super rare dread that used seagulls instead of tuners. Bizarre, but you can see them either side of the headstock