Heavily distorted bass - why?

What's Hot

Comments

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    edited April 2019
    Message board malfunction!
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pintspillerpintspiller Frets: 994
    I used to enjoy playing a P copy I had with a twin-coil through guitar amps with heavy OD. Driven guitars used to disappear in the mix so I played them really clean.
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4942
    Thanks guys for the explanation of why distorted bass is used.  Something I would never have thought of.

Winny_Pooh said:
    Classic Rocker thread BTW :)

octatonic said:
    Classic Rocker thread BTW :)
    Bless him.
    It's his version of shouting at clouds.
    He's like a laid back Emp.

I only asked the question as I did not know the reason the bass player added so much distortion to his sound.  I presume it is still OK to ask questions about which one wants to know the reasons......

I someone suggesting that I am winding people up to get a reaction [trolling]?
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7731
    Rocker said:

I someone suggesting that I am winding people up to get a reaction [trolling]?
    Not suggesting trolling at all, that's more Emps style. Just a hint of what my Dad does:
    "Why do these youngsters do X" ? which translates to: "I think it's a bit pointless, don't like it and don't reaaally want to understand" 
    :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    I add shitloads of distortion to my bass sound (bass soul food always on, plus big muff and/or harmonic perco, into an Ampeg) because I play in a noise/grunge three-piece band, and have a huge space to fill with fuzzy sound whilst the guitarist plays the melodies over the top.
  • AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    edited April 2019
    A certain Mr Entwistle used a distorted bass sound. He was pretty good.
    And no - I don’t think it’s unacceptable or strange to ask questions about music on a guitar forum. if everyone knew everything then there wouldn’t be much point in a place like this existing.
  • MagicPigDetectiveMagicPigDetective Frets: 2992
    edited April 2019
    It can add intensity and heaviness to the low end. It just adds to the dirt/aggression. 

https://youtu.be/hG33t1ieuws

https://youtu.be/AWluJ1h75eE

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    Watch this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nm7e9zN9eLc

If you still don't understand there is no hope for you.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    Thank you for posting @PolarityMan. ; I did watch it from start to finish, first time on my phone then on my computer system at home.  Very impressive technically but total drivel musically.  How would you describe or categorize that type of music?  That guys 'bass sound' though distorted is nowhere near as distorted as the distorted bass I heard in the music shop in Dublin [which prompted my question in the first place].

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2873
    Because it sounds filthy and awesome

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062

Because Shane Embury, that's why. 

• Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1385
    Rocker said:
    So my question is: what type of music benefits from extremely distorted bass and/or why would a bassist set up that kind of sound in the first place? .
    Because sometimes, distorted bass sounds really f*cking good!
  • MattBansheeMattBanshee Frets: 1498
    Rocker said:
    So my question is: what type of music benefits from extremely distorted bass and/or why would a bassist set up that kind of sound in the first place? .
    Because always, distorted bass sounds really f*cking good!
    FTFY
    Rocker said:
    Thank you for posting @PolarityMan. ; I did watch it from start to finish, first time on my phone then on my computer system at home.  Very impressive technically but total drivel musically.  How would you describe or categorize that type of music?  That guys 'bass sound' though distorted is nowhere near as distorted as the distorted bass I heard in the music shop in Dublin [which prompted my question in the first place].

Um..from a bass perspective I wouldn't call that at all technical....he's playing very tastefully. When I think of technical Im thinking more like this kind of thing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvEhyxZqtCk

Which I would agree is utterly un-musical.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • I can't believe anyone born after 1850 would even ask this question.

Bye!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Rocker said:
     How would you describe or categorize that type of music?  
    "Epic as fuck" is usually what we call it.

Bye!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You mean something like ‘two legs good four legs better’. Or that everyone should think all bass playing is great. Not if it is fu@@ing drivel.  As the example posted is. It did show usage of distorted bass, but that did nothing to improve it. 

Good music is always good. No matter what the genre. 

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 23914
    Rocker said:
    You mean something like ‘two legs good four legs better’. Or that everyone should think all bass playing is great. Not if it is fu@@ing drivel.  As the example posted is. It did show usage of distorted bass, but that did nothing to improve it. 

Yes. But you always refuse to accept what other people think is good if you don't personally like it.

I am sure there will be stuff you listen to that others think is "fucking drivel" too. You also have a history of insulting any bassist who dares play more than root notes - despite, from your comments, not really understanding what that means.

Also - when you say "fu@@ing" instead of "fucking" Jesus still knows what you meant. And he thinks you're a p@ssy.
    Rocker said:

I'm not sure what you mean by that but that is a really excellent example of a bass line. There's no over playing, it fulfils the functional purpose of the bass without slavishly copying the guitars, it accents the groove and reinforces the root notes as well as basically defining a huge portion of the sonic aesthetic of the piece of music.

The "2 legs" comment suggests to me that you think he is trying to be flashy or playing fast or something like that but ...like...have you listened to it? He just clearly isn't doing that. The 2nd example I posted matches your description much better.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ