ever played live indoors with sunglasses on?

What's Hot

Comments

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    What on earth is a Goth country and Western band? Any listening suggestions??
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    Have worn sunglasses onstage/indoors but playing bass in a disco/funk band where part of the act was silly outfits.  So glitter, wigs, fake moustaches, fezs, African robes etc etc, and shades extending from the orthodox to Bootsy-ish star-shaped or heart-shaped ones in pink green or yellow.  Nobody's idea of cool, but good times.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    That's a lovely waist coat as well @ICBM ;
    Genuine Chinese silk from Hong Kong :).

I'm surprised you noticed anything about what I was wearing in that pic though ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    ICBM said:
    That's a lovely waist coat as well @ICBM ;
    Genuine Chinese silk from Hong Kong :).

I'm surprised you noticed anything about what I was wearing in that pic though ;).
    I noticed the Dano as well
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • soma1975soma1975 Frets: 6626
    Aside from medical exemption people - Sunglasses inside people are worse than Hitler. Looks like a 5 year old playing dress up at being cool. To one-up that I filmed an interview with someone the other day who wore shades inside AND a mackintosh. And then we went outside AND HE CHANGED HIS JACKET!

Like that was his special indoor mackintosh. 

AGH!
    My Trade Feedback Thread is here

Been uploading old tracks I recorded ages ago and hopefully some new noodles here.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    Ossyrocks said:

Years ago my band played a gig in a marquee in a farmers field for some kind of family occasion. It had been a warm sunny day, so I wore my sunglasses (prescription) to get there and setup. Come the evening I couldn't find my actual glasses in the car so I had no choice but to wear my sunglasses all evening.
    That's pretty much how Roy Orbison started the whole 'rock stars wear sunglasses all the time' thing. He was very shortsighted, and left his normal glasses on the plane when he'd flown somewhere, meaning that he had to wear his prescription sunglasses for the rest of the day.

Wearing them indoors normally does make you look a complete prat, but if you think you'd never wear them on stage, you've probably never played in a venue with a low ceiling and a 1KW par can just above eye level right in front of you... like that pic above.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Flanging_FredFlanging_Fred Frets: 3007
    I might start wearing sunglasses while gigging.

On Saturday there was an actual real life pretty blonde lady that kept looking at me, smiling and appearing to enjoy our performance.

it was utterly terrifying and I can’t be doing with that sort of nonsense. I’m going to hide next time and maybe put on a big floppy hat and fake moustache.
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    Did a few gigs as part of a blue bros band many years ago. Someone thought it would look cool if we all wore cheap matching sunglasses. I suppose Image was important, but they came off after about 3 songs along with the sweat inducing jacket. Couldn't see sweet FA and we had to work to a score for a lot of it.
  • StageStruckStageStruck Frets: 102
    I've done it once at an early evening summertime gig as I'd left the house my prescription sunglasses on. I'd forgotten my contact lenses and would have been gubbed for seeing much without the sun glasses on!
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 181
    Our band occasionally go for a certain look, depending on the event (Blues Brothers suits & shades for example). I've tried the sunglasses but I prefer to be able to see the side dots more clearly. Also I actually enjoy the eye contact with the crowd.
  • hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4080
    I always say wear what you want , have fun  do what makes you happy n f**k the rest
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • AdeyAdey Frets: 2208
    edited August 2019
    Don't sunglasses indoors make you look cool?

(argh. Why can't I post images!!!!)

• ICBM said:
    Yes.

Stage lights can be really bright.
    Now that is COOL 
    sorry for the necro thread  
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6636
    What sort of knobbers do that? ;)

Must have a chat with our old drummer - he was letting the side down!

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    image.png 1.6M
  • rze99rze99 Frets: 2260

Yep

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670

I did once, because someone in the band brought along two 500w spotlights that they decided to shine up through my kit (I was drumming) and I couldn't see a thing.

Because of the spotlights and the shades I couldn't see anything beyond my kit so it felt like playing along to a backing track - weirdest gig ever.

I once wore some shades outdoors on a very sunny day, but they kept sliding down my nose so I had to take them off.
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    What on earth is a Goth country and Western band? Any listening suggestions??
    Fields of the Nephilim flirted with country on occasion. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • I definitely have (to look 'cool', and not for any practical reason), but I used to be a massive twat. I'm still a bit of a twat, but I'm much more self conscious now so I wouldn't attempt it. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    i don't know why some people really do not care to see someone else wearing shades inside. who fuckin cares! all the harsh stage lighting situations as described already is more than enough justification. on occasion, i've even donned shades as a gig punter coz the dolt on the light board is blasting me in the face with harsh light and giving me a migraine.
  • Old bands can look like bus stop queues. Put some shades and pork pie hat on to give the boozers something to look at.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom