Insulation in garage conversion help

What's Hot
LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
edited March 2023 in Off Topic
**Original topic title was asking about the heating**

Since converting my garage there's no central heating so been using a portable oil filled radiator to keep it warm. Usually an hour before I need to use the room I'll put it on a medium setting, which generates enough heat to warm up the room and then I put it on a low setting for another hour or so before switching it off. It retains the heat quite well to be fair, but it takes a long time to heat up, and only kinda warms up the area immediately around it. My room is quite big (25 square metres).

**See latest post regarding insulation**
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• It's just what it is - a fan that can warm up the air a bit. We like it for what it is, but have not used an oil filled radiator. 
  • Although it's too expensive for what it is... 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956
    It’s a Dyson. Of course it’s not worth the money!

All Dyson products are overpriced. You’re paying for the ‘cool’ factor as much as the innovation and product quality, the same as you are with Apple - why else are these companies so profitable? The question is whether it does what you want it to, as well or better than the alternatives.

I like my Dyson vacuum cleaner, by the way :). (And my Apple products too.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789
    An oil filled radiator is not cheaper to run than a fan heater with the same heat output. They are designed for use over long periods in well-insulated rooms, they both have electric heating elements.

I have exactly the same issue, I use an external garage as a home gym. If it's not insulated you need to heat the air, not the walls

The best solution is 1 or 2 electric fan heaters, run for just 5 or 10 minutes before you use the room, set a thermostat on them or put them on a lower setting when you are using the room. Otherwise you are heating the sky for 55 minutes before you use it, and a long time after you have finished.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71956

I have exactly the same issue, I use an external garage as a home gym. If it's not insulated you need to heat the air, not the walls

The best solution is 1 or 2 electric fan heaters, run for just 5 or 10 minutes before you use the room, set a thermostat on them or put them on a lower setting when you are using the room. Otherwise you are heating the sky for 55 minutes before you use it, and a long time after you have finished.
    This.

That’s the right physics to minimise the energy loss. You need to heat the air as fast as possible, and preferably nothing else.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4641

The dyson is 1200w, so is probably cheaper to run that your average argos £20 fan heater, and won't have the bad smell, so I've read.  Whether that 1200W is better used by the fact is pushed further around the room, I'm not sure, that's probably the idea.

Your average 2-3kw fan heater does a good job of heating air up quickly and cheap too, you'd have to do a lot of heating for the £350 dyson to pay for itself, although there may be an environmental advantage.

I'd go for the cheap option myself, although the air purification model is of some interest to me as I have asthma and it might be of some benefit.

• BeardyAndyBeardyAndy Frets: 716
    Probably like all Dyson products, look great and work well but take the piss with the prices!

• PhiltrePhiltre Frets: 4164
    edited May 2019
    If Jeff Beck played a vacuum cleaner instead of a guitar he'd play a Henry, not a Dyson.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    An oil filled radiator is not cheaper to run than a fan heater with the same heat output. They are designed for use over long periods in well-insulated rooms, they both have electric heating elements.

Yeah the room is insulated but for a couple of hours it just needs a bit of warming up. Thing with oil radiator I have to turn it on for a good hour before I use the room but whilst it cools down it retains that heat wewall.

With the Dyson perhaps I can put it on for 15 minutes to blast some warm air then it’ll keep the heat for an hour. Means I use the power for a shorter duration.
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    On a gut reaction I wouldn’t give James Dyson the lint out of my belly button I’ll never buy another of his products
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Love mine.  The cooling is better than the heating IMHO
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11789

Yeah the room is insulated but for a couple of hours it just needs a bit of warming up. Thing with oil radiator I have to turn it on for a good hour before I use the room but whilst it cools down it retains that heat wewall.

With the Dyson perhaps I can put it on for 15 minutes to blast some warm air then it’ll keep the heat for an hour. Means I use the power for a shorter duration.
    what's better about the Dyson? Is it quieter? Their cooling fan was quite noisy
    1200w is quite low output for a heater btw

I just use £20 or £30 ceramic fan heaters from argos or Currys
  • chrisjac2chrisjac2 Frets: 67
    My Dad got the dyson heater/ air purifier dodad. Worked well for a bit then showed an error. he is on his 3rd now wouldnt recomend
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22516
    Philtre said:
    If Jeff Beck played a vacuum cleaner instead of a guitar he'd play a Henry, not a Dyson.
    I'm not sure I follow the logic.
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079

what's better about the Dyson? Is it quieter? Their cooling fan was quite noisy
    1200w is quite low output for a heater btw

I just use £20 or £30 ceramic fan heaters from argos or Currys
    Yeah it’s meant to be quieter. There’s a clicking noise when I turn the oil radiator on. 
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    Philtre said:
    I dunno, the Henry has robot suction tuners and poor build quality. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bobblehatbobblehat Frets: 531
    Oil Filled radiators work better in well insulated rooms. They take much longer to heat the room, so if its poorly insulated then you the heat losses could potentially be outweighing the gains.  
    I would use a cheap 3kw fan heater to heat the room quickly and use the savings to pay for the additional electricity.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    edited May 2019
    I kilowatt is a kilowatt. For a room that size which is left to get really cold when not in use you're going to need around 4kw of heating power to get it up to temperature in a reasonable time, and probably 1kw to keep it there unless the insulation is particularly good.

I'd get a couple of 2kw halogen heaters and put them on timed switches assuming the insulation is reasonable, or a 2kw halogen and a 2kw oil filled radiator (the halogen will great the room fairly quickly but once the oil filled radiator gets up to temperature it'll stay warm for an hour or so).
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    edited May 2019
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14321
    Dyson Hot And Cool Fan. 
    Sounds like a variation on the David Beckham Thermos flask joke.
    Be seeing you.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom