Resonator Question

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• KristoKristo Frets: 123
    brucegill said:
    Kristo said:

I'd go for a Michael Messer Blues '28 with MM Sixtus pickup fitted. It'll be set up exactly how you want it and sound awesome!

https://www.michaelmesser.co.uk/michael-messer-blues-28

What’s the action like in these? Never had a resonator. Is it adjustable easily? Can’t see how it’s set up in the photos. 
    They are set up exactly how you want, just specify it when you order.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Creed_ClicksCreed_Clicks Frets: 1384
    mgaw said:
    I would 2nd the post about not using pickups on Resonators, you totally lose the sound, either use a mic or play electric is where I ended up
    With the wooden body as opposed to all metal?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4124
    edited May 2019
    danowens said:
    I should say, I play with a great slide player and he refuses to use a pickup as it isn't the National sound. The sound comes from the cone, otherwise just play a tele  
    Exactly what I do these days....

I love the sound of resonators but I've never found a plugged in solution that got even close, and so they end up just being a clunky stage prop that sounds like something else...which is fine in it's own right I guess but not my thing. So if it's a plug in gig I take a Tele set up with heavy strings and use that instead.

It used to raise occasional eyebrows but solo electric guitar is much more commonplace now. Plus I still play exactly what I would have played on the reso and once people tune into that it matters less what it's being played on.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom