Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Update: My drummer speeds up during every song. Found an App!

What's Hot
fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
edited November 2019 in Other Instruments
It's annoying and despite discussing it  never improves.  It's not practical to play to click or set a metronome to each string. 

Has anyone heard of an app that detects tempo through thr mic and displays thre real time tempo so I can get thr drummer to use this and monitor keeping us on track? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8481
    You can't go easy on drummers. Give an inch and they'll take a Keith Moon style tom fill. Shoot him. Shoot him in his stupid face until he's dead. He won't speed up then.
    13reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71957
    Tell him you'll tell the groupie that drummers are amazing in bed because they always speed up towards the end. Unless he fancies the groupie, in which case tell him that she prefers slow and steady.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Cirrus said:
    You can't go easy on drummers. Give an inch and they'll take a Keith Moon style tom fill. Shoot him. Shoot him in his stupid face until he's dead. He won't speed up then.
    I can't promise to follow this advice to the letter but I'll give it some thought. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 941
    How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    1& a2 & ,,,,sorry 
    1,2,3 1,shit sorry 
    1& a 23  &.      A4 sorry
    123456788,,sorry 
  • andy1839andy1839 Frets: 2197
    I had the opposite, one that slowed down.
    Started everything great but after the first verse slowed down so much it was laughable.

Tried hard to get him to keep time including a click track, but he couldn't deal with it.

We got rid.

(The decision to kick him was also based on the fact he became a massive racist seemingly overnight.)
    2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7732
    Have rehearsals to a click in the PA , that way everyone internalises the tempo. It's annoying as hell but if everyone stops and restarts when you're ahead and it's obvious that he's messing up, then it may help.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3049
    It's that thing of them not practising enough at home due to practical reasons. We're brought up playing along to things so we're more aware of it. He just needs to play to a click when he's practising - like us playing scales over a metronome.

Our drummer slows down a bit but you can gee him up a bit by speeding up yourself. 
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• JAYJOJAYJO Frets: 1526
    Fine him £60 each time....if he still persists send him on a speed awareness course... failing that cellotape him to the starter motor of the van.
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2849
    edited May 2019
    Can you rig up some sort of explosive which blows if he falls below a certain BPM? Think the movie Speed, but percussion based. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • LebarqueLebarque Frets: 3755
    That drives me crazy too. The phrase 'you had one job' springs to mind. Drummers that start the same song at different speeds at every gig are real good fun too. 
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14323
    edited May 2019
    Has anyone heard of an app that detects tempo through the mic and displays the real time tempo so I can get the drummer to use this and monitor keeping us on track? 
    This idea will not succeed. The tempo monitor read out will inform the drummer of what he is CURRENTLY playing rather than the tempo at which he SHOULD be playing.

Electronic timing aids can be accurate to microscopic divisions of a second. This is of no help if the human drummer is incapable of latching on and sticking to the intended tempo.

Older 'boarders may recall a MIDI Clock device that Peavey produced in the Eighties. It sensed what the acoustic drums were doing and sent tempo information to any sequencers involved in creating the backing band instrumentation. (Imagine, if you will, Eliminator era ZZ Top.)

andy1839 said:
    Tried hard to get him to keep time including a click track but he couldn't deal with it. We got rid.
    This is the second most humane solution.

Cirrus said:
    "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few." 

Be seeing you.
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    Join My Band;)
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    is his timing just that bad or is he playing with feel and following the rest of the band and really you are all speeding up together?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10357
    I made a  light metronome rather than a click ... it flashes in the set BPM and the drummer can use that. Very effective for speeds upto 140 or so 

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1258
    Maybe this would help him?

If he still can't keep in time, try attaching it direct to the mains for extra 'zap'. ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    If its a consistent speed up in certain parts to add energy or excitement then thats fair enough, if its dropping a beat in a 2 bar fill and coming in early for beat 1 and then telling everyone its a speed up to add excitement or energy then he can fucking fuck off.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • koneguitaristkoneguitarist Frets: 4125
    Check your bassist as well, its not always the drummer.
    Listen to a recording or better still post up a vid of band where he is speeding up. sometimes it can be just an issue with what he is hearing in mix. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4065
    Has anyone heard of an app that detects tempo through the mic and displays the real time tempo so I can get the drummer to use this and monitor keeping us on track? 
    This idea will not succeed. The tempo monitor read out will inform the drummer of what he is CURRENTLY playing rather than the tempo at which he SHOULD be playing.

No, it exactly and precisely will help.  There's no problem starting a song.  He'll take a look,  notice it's 96bpm, then half way through take another look and notice it's 110 and slow down a bit.   That's exactly what I'm looking for. 

I saw something called a Beat bug I think which sounded good but I reckon there must be an app that could do it. 

Or maybe I need to write an app. Hmmm