Xbox one x audio out with a/v receiver advice!

skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6861

Ello all! 

So recently having picked up an xbox one X I've found its got a couple extra audio out options. 

Brief overview is I connect all my devices (xbox, blu ray player and set top box) to my Onkyo 5.1 a/v receiver, then have one hdmi out from the a/v receiver to the tv. 

The audio out options I have on the xbox are pcm or bitstream. 

If I select pcm which was what I always used to have it set to on my old xbox one (cos thats all it had really), the Onkyo receiver I would need to set to 'multichannel', and that appears to give me 5.1 surround.

When doing pcm from the xbox, the only options I have on the receiver are multi channel, direct, stereo and some other ones like plii surround sensation etc. 

However if I select bitstream on the xbox, I then have two more choices to select, either dolby digital or DTS. 

If I select either dolby or dts, then the receiver automatically switches to either dolby or dts and the dolby or dts light comes on, on the onkyos screen (instead of multi-channel). I havent tested yet but I presume either dolby or dts would be 5.1 surround naturally. 

Just like they would light up if I was to play a blu ray through my blu ray player. Receiver automatically switches from dolby hd or dts-hd depending on the film. 

So whats the deal? Can someone explain whats happening? My very limited knowledge is that either the xbox will 'master' (unsure of the correct term) and send out the audio and the onkyo will just play what it gets, or the xbox will just send out and leave the onkyo to master (is decode the right word?) whatever it receives? 

Which is better if any? I like that the dolby or dts lights come on when I bitstream, but if pcm is better in general then I'll stick with that and just set the receiver to 'multi-channel' as that appears to give me 5.1 surround. 

Cheers all! 

The only easy day, was yesterday...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Axe_meisterAxe_meister Frets: 4627
    I'd say the AV receiver will have a better Dolby decoder, remember the Xbox is built down to a price.
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4132
    When you select PCM you're sending decoded uncompressed audio to the receiver. In theory this is better. But you can just listen and decide which you like best.

When you select bitstream you are sending digital data to the AVR to decode for itself. 

Both will be 5.1 (or 7.1), you just need to decide for yourself which sounds the best. You can even choose to send 7.1 audio and let your AVR recode that to 5.1 if it's good at that.

Usually PCM is the better option. But if you had an AVR that does ATMOS you'd need to send it a bitstream signal.

Much of the time PCM/Bitstream won't really make an audible difference. Neither is a wrong option, just try both and see if there's a difference or if you have a preference. 

• GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4132
    I'd say the AV receiver will have a better Dolby decoder, remember the Xbox is built down to a price.
    The XB1X isn't. It's the bonkers "spared no expense" option.

• skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6861
    Thanks all. I shall have a play and see whats what. 

I highly doubt I'd hear much difference anyway then if its marginal at best! 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11741
    Does your Onkyo receiver support HDCP 2.2?

If not, you might find the One X won't output 4k to your TV, it will go down to 1080p
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6861
    Does your Onkyo receiver support HDCP 2.2?

If not, you might find the One X won't output 4k to your TV, it will go down to 1080p
    Aye the onkyo is about a decade old now, 1080p is its max! 

The tv is 4k and so is the xbox, but my receiver and blu ray player need upgrading.. as well as the speakers... and probably the hdmi cables cos theyre also 10 years old..

All on the to do list... but til then everythings choked back to 1080p haha