Recommended Luthiers & Techs

What's Hot

Comments

• http://www.ozzyowl.co.uk/

Popping up a recommendation for Ozzy in Sheffield. Excellent service, responds promptly to messages and does the work for when he says it’ll be done. Fully intending to keep using him
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • In the Milton Keynes area, I can recommend Andy Viccars. He used to be head of quality control for Yamaha guitars for all their high end guitars and has decades of experience. His charges are very reasonable and gives honest advice and opinions including when work isn't advisable or cost effective.

http://www.andyviccarscustom.co.uk/
  • tbctbc Frets: 38
    There's no praise in here yet for Stairway to Kevin (what a name) now based upstairs above one of the Denmark Street shops (formerly operating out of Regent Sounds. His work is mentioned elsewhere on the forum, though.

I was really impressed with his work on my Breezysound a few weeks ago, and I'll be taking another guitar to him soon. Good prices, very approachable and communicative, and good attention to detail. 
  • uberscottuberscott Frets: 130
    edited May 2019
    I can't comment on the quality of Kevin's work (yet) but I've just been to see him about putting a push/pull tone put in my Suhr to switch the bridge to parallel. He talked me through it and explained that I'd lose the coil tap in the second switch position, which I hadn't considered and was a dealbreaker for me. He could have just as easily taken my money and done the work as requested - so I can certainly vouch for him as an honest fella.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    Does anyone know an acoustic guitar expert in the North west?
  • SteveRobinsonSteveRobinson Frets: 6914
    tFB Trader
    I think that since Ged Green effectively retired there is a bit of a gap in that market.
  • skitzigolskitzigol Frets: 12
  • ToneControlToneControl Frets: 11790
    skitzigol said:
    thanks
    Sadly, so far all the recommendations I have are an hour or more away, and the nearest is not open Saturdays, and is near central Manchester, which is not where I work. 
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    uberscott said:
    I can't comment on the quality of Kevin's work (yet) but I've just been to see him about putting a push/pull tone put in my Suhr to switch the bridge to parallel. He talked me through it and explained that I'd lose the coil tap in the second switch position, which I hadn't considered and was a dealbreaker for me. He could have just as easily taken my money and done the work as requested - so I can certainly vouch for him as an honest fella.
    @uberscott why not go for the Pete Thorn switching? I believe what you want should be possible :)
    His signature model utilises 2 Thornbuckers, albeit it's the Plus model in the bridge position.

1 Bridge Push pull for series parallel
    2 Inside two single coils
    3 Both Full
    4 Neck humbucker
    5 Neck single coil
  • GomersGomers Frets: 17
    I think that since Ged Green effectively retired there is a bit of a gap in that market.

Jim Fleeting in Stockport is my go-to now that Ged has retired, he was working on some of Ged's usual clients' guitars the first time I met him.
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 415
    Can anyone recommend somewhere to get a refret in Cambridgeshire? 
  • horseheadhorsehead Frets: 219
    @IvisonGuitars is absolutely amazing. First class work and top gent
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JD50JD50 Frets: 651
    http://www.guitaraid.co.uk/ have closed their doors!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Can anyone recommend a good tech to do some setup work on an acoustic in Lincolnshire. I know of Chris George and have used him before but ideally want someone closer to Lincoln. 
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4671

Leeds based, in Armley.

Highly recommended.  I had a Tele put back together (totally) by Ben and he has done an amazing job.  As good a setup as the truly brilliant ones I've had both by Feline and Steve Robertson, both of whom now are hours away from me.

I've also left a Strat with him which was set up - shittily - by Mor Music in York who i would NOT recommend. Am seriously looking forward to getting that back.

Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Thanks to all people who recommended Mick Johnson at Reading. He did an amazing setup and fixed some issues with my guitar. 
  • JazzthatJazzthat Frets: 163
    Anyone here know reasonable luthier near Weymouth ( Dorset )?
    I have tried absolute music in Bournemouth but I wasn't happy with them .
    I have Done my other guitar in Crimson Guitar and was extremely happy , but they are expensive , and I need to make my cheap guitar playable so  looking for a cheaper luthier for this reason .
  • @Corvus in Cambridge, did a really good setup on my Gibson and makes a good cuppa as well :)
    “Ken sent me.”
  • Can anybody help me, please.. 

There was a topic just like this but specific to Scotland. Please could you @ me with a link to that thread if you know it? I tried searching just now but no luck, thanks!!