Something I've found...

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
edited May 2019 in Amps
..that when you have only got lower grade amps you are left expecting that only such and such brand/model will give you what you seek; or that only Valve or vintage components with certain guitars give 'That' sound. So you set about achieving this and then one day you go back to your unfavoured amps and you suddenly hear them for what they are rather than what you want them to be and guess what?? - they often actually sound bloody decent!

So currently, from not trying, I have got a bloody good VOX AC30 Top Boost tone with a copy strat and a couple of no-brand pedals from a Fender Frontman 15G (acquired s/h for a tenner), and what has changed from previous playings?  - I have it just plonked on the table three feet away and at head height when playing through it seated!

I could have saved myself £thousands!
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2489
    You been watching Johan Segeborn again ;)

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kreggskreggs Frets: 64
    Did you clean yer ears out this morning :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    My new-to-me Peavey Studio Pro 112 can nail the sound of the Marshall ‘71 Super Lead I’m working on this morning, with the Marshall going through a Powerbrake to equalise the volumes.

Actually to be honest the Peavey sounds better and is far more versatile. I genuinely have no interest in expensive, huge, heavy, overly loud, limited valve amps any more.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NerineNerine Frets: 1971
    Many people do listen with their eyes....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • joetelejoetele Frets: 947
    ICBM said:
    My new-to-me Peavey Studio Pro 112 can nail the sound of the Marshall ‘71 Super Lead I’m working on this morning, with the Marshall going through a Powerbrake to equalise the volumes.

Actually to be honest the Peavey sounds better and is far more versatile. I genuinely have no interest in expensive, huge, heavy, overly loud, limited valve amps any more.
    This. Each of the valve amps I've had has been lovely, don't get me wrong - but sometimes I just need a really clean, open sound with plenty of headroom, and only the big wattage solid states I've used have given me that. Also they're much lighter to carry. 
    MUSIC: Pale Blurs
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576
    I think some of it is getting used to the gear and playing to its strengths.
    My little practice/home combo is a Marshall AVT20. They sold in decent numbers but all the purists slammed them, tiny speaker, MDF cabinet, solid state except a single ECC83.
    But I've had so many accomplished guitarists say they love the sound of it that I could have sold it mant times over. Even this week I took it to meet a new (old) guitarist to swat up for a dep gig this Saturday and he was enamoured with the sound of just My Aria and the AVT20 (Neither of which are outstanding in the huge list of outstanding gear).
    So experiment with a new piece of gear, learn what all the controls do and most importantly how they interact with one another. Find the musical tone and then just play guitar.
    That said there are some god awful amps about.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    I can get my humble little Pignose to sound like a Dumble.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    /\ yeah well seriously, the limitation on the Pig is the tiny speaker - BUT, with a little extra coaxing and an out to a larger cab you might just get close!

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>