Recommendations for a good jazz guitar instructional?

What's Hot
PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
Hiya,

With the sheer scale (ha ha) of teaching materials available online, in books, on YT, etc I find it a bit tough to find something structured that would encourage me to stick to it.

Any recommendations on a good method to build up my jazz playing? Not too fussed about format, could be PDF, print, videos, etc.

Level-wise my theory is practically non-existent :) I know some of the basic jazz chords from learning a few tunes over the years though.

Thanks a lot in advance for any tips!
Click here to see me butchering some classic solos!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• sweavesweave Frets: 65
    For theory I can recommend Mark Levine, The Jazz Theory Book. Not aimed at guitarists but very comprehensive yet accessible at the same time....nice!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • PonchoGregPonchoGreg Frets: 764
    Cheers man, will check that out. Perhaps I should have mentioned that (with time being a rare commodity), anything that's playing-based rather than purely theoretical would be preferable. I do realise that a good theoretical foundation becomes essential in jazz fairly early on though...
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2582
    edited May 2019
    Never used them myself but the Mickey Baker books still seem to have a solid reputation among jazzers.

I'm more a jazz dabbler than a proper jazzer but I'd recommend:

- for comping, Maiden Voyage Guitar Voicings by Mike DeLiddo.  Easily one of the best guitar books I've bought and one of the very few I've learned cover to cover

- for soloing An Introduction to Jazz Guitar Soloing by Joe Elliott.  Assumes you are already reasonably comfortable with the idea of "single key" improvising (eg playing in C major on a Dm7/G7/Cmaj7) and gives you strategies for playing more harmonically interesting stuff against major and minor 2 5 1s.  If you work through it it will enable to you to start playing "outside" sounding stuff that sounds musical against jazz progressions.
    “To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    Amazing, thanks mate
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Paging @stuartryanmusic ; ....

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• BebopperBebopper Frets: 129
    Hi @PonchoGreg ;

A recommendation for Sheryl Bailey's video course 'Bebop Dojo: Essentials', available through Truefire: https://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-lessons/bebop-dojo-essentials/c111

It's a solid, organised course that will give you a good basic set of skills for jazz playing and get you playing over some basic progressions.

Sheryl's a fantastic player and teacher (I took online one-to-one lessons with her for several years) and I can recommend all her stuff.

PS. She's in the UK in June for a bunch of gigs and is giving workshops in London, Cambridge and Huddersfield too.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

Smashing, thank you

• BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    Check out the Sal Salvador jazz guitar series ...some great things in there and very accessible if just starting that type of thing 
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    Bebopper said:
    Hi @PonchoGreg ;

A recommendation for Sheryl Bailey's video course 'Bebop Dojo: Essentials', available through Truefire: https://truefire.com/jazz-guitar-lessons/bebop-dojo-essentials/c111

It's a solid, organised course that will give you a good basic set of skills for jazz playing and get you playing over some basic progressions.

Sheryl's a fantastic player and teacher (I took online one-to-one lessons with her for several years) and I can recommend all her stuff.

PS. She's in the UK in June for a bunch of gigs and is giving workshops in London, Cambridge and Huddersfield too.
    I agree .... Her Truefire Courses are excellent. I have the one on Jazz Comping. Would really love to see her live, but I'm away in Italy (playing guitar!!, or at least trying to).
    I'm definitely checking that course - looks like exactly what I'm after, and good value to boot
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    If you can, get a good teacher for jazz. It's a really tough genre to tackle on your own. 
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    One of the biggest things for me was the Emily Remler instructional video if you can find it!
    I bought the Micky Baker book after everyone seemed to rav about it but I think its the best thing to put you off learning any jazz, horrible book.
    I personally couldn’t ever learn music from books though.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited June 2019
    I think it depends on the jazz. A good place to start is swing / big band / American broadway. 

An alternative is gypsy jazz / bossa. 

Both are easy and melodic. Once you’ve got them under your fingers you can move to bebop. 

Youtube is your friend, but so is sheet music / chord charts. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • MegiiMegii Frets: 1670
    koss59 said:
    One of the biggest things for me was the Emily Remler instructional video if you can find it!
    I bought the Micky Baker book after everyone seemed to rav about it but I think its the best thing to put you off learning any jazz, horrible book.
    Another vote for the Emily Remler videos - there were actually two "Bebop and Swing Guitar" and then "Advanced Jazz and Latin Guitar" which despite the title is still taught in a very accessible, straightforward way. I think they were at one point released on DVD so you might find copies available.

I've been signed up to Barry Greene's video lessons site for a while now, and find it to be excellent, and he keeps adding new lessons. Was recommended to me by a pro jazz guitarist, and has proved very worthwhile. There is a "stepping stones" series of lessons for those fairly new to jazz guitar, covering the essentials you need to then move on to the other lessons (of which there are a lot).

https://barrygreenevideolessons.vhx.tv/

Cheers guys - Barry Greene's site does look good.

In the meantime I got the Sheryl Bailey course as there was a BOGOF thing on truefire (and I got full access to all the site for a month). I might glean as much as possible there and move on!
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1367
    edited June 2019
    Megii said:
    koss59 said:
    Another vote for the Emily Remler videos - there were actually two "Bebop and Swing Guitar" and then "Advanced Jazz and Latin Guitar" which despite the title is still taught in a very accessible, straightforward way. I think they were at one point released on DVD so you might find copies available.

I've been signed up to Barry Greene's video lessons site for a while now, and find it to be excellent, and he keeps adding new lessons. Was recommended to me by a pro jazz guitarist, and has proved very worthwhile. There is a "stepping stones" series of lessons for those fairly new to jazz guitar, covering the essentials you need to then move on to the other lessons (of which there are a lot).

https://barrygreenevideolessons.vhx.tv/

You're right - I have both of Emily Remler's Courses on DVD. She's my favourite guitarist, and there is the website allthingsemily.com dedicated to her work. I was really pleased last year to come across a Gibson 330 which had had a pair of PAF's put in it sometime in the past, which more or less replicated her main guitar.