Acoustic panel positioning

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    edited April 2019
    The thing is that you are not in a textbook scenario so you really do need to try the traps on 4 walls, then in 4 corners and then as per your plan to hear which sounds better to you. Stack your traps on chairs, tables, step ladders or get some mates round to help.

One more thing: I know you have said before that you only want to use one half of the room but looking at this photo (below) you posted you would get a much better, more balanced sound if you slid your desk and monitors about 2 metres to the right, so the desk is centred under the window and the monitors are either side of the window, as close to the wall as you can get them (to avoid speaker boundary interference response - see here for more on that if you are interested). As you are at the moment the left monitor is likely to be producing a stonger bass signal (up to 12dB stronger).

At the end of the day, it is your room and your choice what you do. If we can steer you away from problems and towards a pleasant, more balanced sound and one that doesn't fatigue you if you are playing music in the room for extended periods, then great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LestratcasterLestratcaster Frets: 1079
    edited April 2019
    Yeah I will probably make another 6 to put on all the walls. Been looking at sofa's today too and saw a nice 2 seater for £185. Big struggle will be to get it in the 70cm doorway though!

Also my desk position has changed (see recent photos) its now at the far back window side so the monitors face the length of the room.
  • Right, mate came round yesterday to put the 4 panels up to start off with. He said we can make slightly narrower ones for the corners so we just put them up either side of the window behind the monitors, and one on the other side of the room:

We're planning to make another 4 of the same ones we put in, then 3 for the corners, at 300mm wide. Then on the other side of the above window (by the door) cos of the fusebox and electrical wiring that might be behind it we'll make a custom 1200 x 400mm size panel and glue it in.

Am I better off getting 2 x bass traps for the 3 corners or should our 300 mm wide ones with 100 rockwool inside be enough?
    Just an update I had the other 8 panels fitted on Friday:

This is the side by the door where the fusebox is:

We actually used 2 slabs of wood hold the one in the corner as it was very tricky to mount it without touching any wiring. Works though.

There's little to no echo now in the room compared to when I first moved in. The only other area where I may treat is by the door, so I may make another one with wooden legs so I can move it for people to get in. Pleased with how these (now) 12 are working out though!
  • @Lestratcaster looks nice. How are you finding the bass where the walls meet the floor/ceiling? Are you likely to treat those ares?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    Its not too bad, though looking back I probably should have built a taller (longer) panel to cover the whole distance of the corner. There's still a bit of furniture I need to get too as its very airy (alot of space) as well.
  • Yeah that makes sense, mate. That's the advice I've been given too, cover the entire corner from floor to ceiling.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    I was gonna get the GIK bass traps but figured they wouldn't fit snugly into the corner without touching the other panels. It sounds a lot better now the walls have been covered with something so I'll run with it for a bit.