Women’s World Cup

What's Hot
Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24208
Anyone else watching?  There’s been some cracking football.  The women’s game has come on massively and the games are getting much higher attendance figures than they used to.  The France v S.Korea game looked like it was full.

(can anyone tempted to make derogatory/sexist/puerile comments step away from the keyboard please.  This is 2019, not 1970.)
Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steveledzepsteveledzep Frets: 1172
    I agree. Man U wouldn't stand a chance against these ladies.  Very skilled.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5373
    Less physicality, more gameplay. I've enjoyed what I've seen so far.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Yep, I've watched France v Korea and England v Scotland so far, both good games, although i think France are going to be hard to beat.

There's a lot less play-acting going on!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    Women's team sports are not much of a novelty in our house, my wife has 62 rugby caps for Wales and played in four World Cups, and we're thoroughly enjoying the football.

The games are generally more entertaining for a neutral and it really brings home how frustrating it is watching players diving and feigning horrific injuries for minutes on end in the men's game.

There's very little arguing with the referees in the women's game either, though all these things will doubtless arrive with more money and TV rights at stake. FIFA are so corrupt themselves that they have zero interest in penalising cheating on the pitch. 
    2reaction image LOL 8reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • cpcompanycpcompany Frets: 126
    I don’t mind a bit of lasses football. Some fairly good players and even the goalkeepers are improving, thankfully.  As a Sunderland supporter it’s also nice to see quite a few of our ex players in the squad. 

I was quite gutted at the last world cup final defeat against Japan. We should have had that game sewn up. 

I am not much of a fan of the way the women’s leagues are set up in England though. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SeshSesh Frets: 1839
    Really enjoying it too. The only thing that is annoying me is the lack of decent coverage. The BBC would rather hide half the matches on the red button in low resolution. The BBC likes to bang on about equality, but obviously it doesn't apply to sport (or presenter's pay). Luckily, we have a smart TV so we can stream hd from the BBC iPlayer, but we shouldn't have to. They should, heaven forbid!, cancel a few bargain hunt reruns and stick all the games on the main two channels. 

I'm planning to watch all the games I can. I hope England have a good run.
    Can't sing, can't dance, can handle a guitar a little.
  • fandangofandango Frets: 2204
    Emp_Fab said:
    Anyone else watching?  There’s been some cracking football.  The women’s game has come on massively and the games are getting much higher attendance figures than they used to.  The France v S.Korea game looked like it was full.

(can anyone tempted to make derogatory/sexist/puerile comments step away from the keyboard please.  This is 2019, not 1970.)
    Has Emp_Fab gone all pious on us? And no, I'm not about to burst into some febrile delinquent song.

Whilst ladies football is yet another demand on my time and patronage - I'm struggling just supporting one mens team after their pathetic display in a certain recent final (no, I'm not a spud) - I think I'm warming to the idea of womens football as it gains momentum.

We might be able to watch some great football at a more reasonable price, than the shirt-off-back loyalty-challenging football we see in the mens Premiership.

Alas, this world cup has come a bit too soon for me to get stuck in. I want a summer away from football, so I can recharge my mental fortitude for the next season's shenanigans.

But, now Emp_Fab has brought this to out attention, I just might find a screen somewhere .....
  • SouthpawMarkSouthpawMark Frets: 620
    The ladyfootball is ok, but the ladypundits are truly dreadful. If you were to play a drinking game where you had to down a shot every time they said a footballing cliche you’d die of alcohol poisoning before full time. 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4158
    I fell asleep watching it, too slow and pedestrian for me 
  • It's like the men's game. But with the less tits and more dicks.

Bye!

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12254
    I watched the England Scotland game, it was quite enjoyable and a reasonable standard, difficult to equate it to levels with men's because the men's game has become so fast.

Like watching an Italian 2nd division match I guess.  Certain of the defenders would be better than in the men's side.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2739
    I’m hoping that the women will demonstrate that football does not need diving, feigning injury, time wasting, arguing with the ref, arguing for 10 minutes before a penalty gets taken.  And thereby show a degree of class that most men footballers will hopefully be embarrassed by
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    sev112 said:
    I’m hoping that the women will demonstrate that football does not need diving, feigning injury, time wasting, arguing with the ref, arguing for 10 minutes before a penalty gets taken.  And thereby show a degree of class that most men footballers will hopefully be embarrassed by
     ...... but not so much as to appear ignorant and/or naive.
    Another comment that's slightly off topic ....

I've had the pleasure* (and pain**) of umpiring women's hockey games, in a season where I was umpiring both men's and women's games at various levels.

The main difference I noticed is the lack of strength, and there were times when I was wishing the women would just fvcking hammer that ball down the touchline, and bloody well run after it. It was all a bit slow and soft 'n' fluffy round the edges. There was grit, but it wasn't enough. There was skill in the upper levels, but not enough. Eventually got bored with umpiring the women.

* no, not THAT kind of pleasure. Sadly.

** no, not THAT kind of pain. Thankfully.

And then this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48600795

THIRTEEN - nil, that's almost bringing the game into disrepute!  :o

But seriously, I watched the match (on BBC4) and it became embarrassing.  Are USA that good?  Or are Thailand that bad - if so, how did they qualify?

• notanonnotanon Frets: 604
    I need to catch up. What is it like for professional fouls, dives, . . . 
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31367
    notanon said:
    Pretty much zero, except for the one Argentinian player who got three players booked by the usual method of holding her face and screaming when anyone got too close. 

Shame, she was obviously their most talented player, but a nasty little egomaniac too. 
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16253
     Nitefly said:
    And then this:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/48600795

THIRTEEN - nil, that's almost bringing the game into disrepute!  o

But seriously, I watched the match (on BBC4) and it became embarrassing.  Are USA that good?  Or are Thailand that bad - if so, how did they qualify?
    Quick google - qualification  is on a regional/ confederation  basis and Thailand were 4th of 25 countries in Asia and USA where 1st of 28 in North America. Thailand apparently scraping through after a surprise poor performance by North Korea. There are 24 countries playing in France in the finals whereas it’s been 16 previously. 
    Still, Thailand themselves no strangers to the big score line having beaten Indonesia 13-0, Timor 8-0, Cambodia 11-0 and Malaysia 8-0 last year. 

What I was going to comment about women’s football is that you have a bigger range of standards; to some extent at club level the best players can excel because the overall standard hasn’t caught up. So I guess I’d see this as evidence of this.

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9654
    sweepy said:
    I fell asleep watching it, too slow and pedestrian for me 
    Well if you think they are slow and pedestrian, whatever you do please do not watch a West Brom game as you might never wake up
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    p90fool said:
    notanon said:
    Pretty much zero, except for the one Argentinian player who got three players booked by the usual method of holding her face and screaming when anyone got too close. 

Shame, she was obviously their most talented player, but a nasty little egomaniac too. 
    Yes, that was the only thing that spoiled the Japan - Argentina game.  (Well, that and the lack of goals...)

Hopefully the England team will have taken note of that.