USB audio interfaces - recommendations please!

I'm after an audio interface for my PC preferably with;

2 inputs, one for mic, one for guitar.

Midi would be nice.

Budget around the £100 mark.

So do you have any advice or recommendations?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    line 6 UX1 or 2 ...i use one all the time ..great sounds and very amp like when setup properly...
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27343
    I've got one of those that I'll probably be selling.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1198
    If you could stretch to £189 you could get a Native Instruments Komplete Audio 6. 
    I love mine and there's an offer on until 6 Sept where you get the full Guitar Rig Pro software, which is well worth having IMO.
    It normally ships with a cut down version that's still very good. I used that for a while then upgraded to Pro.

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7273
    I've been using a tascam us-122 with my laptop for about 6 months now. Seems pretty decent and if you look around you can pickup under 70 quid.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • If you can stretch the budget a little, the Focusrite 2i2 is great - it is £120 and doesnt have MIDI though.  The 2i4 Does have Midi, and an extra couple of outs (which is useful) but pushes the budget further at around £150.

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26451
    You can usually find the Focusrite and Presonus 2-input interfaces around the £100 mark on eBay, and they're excellent. I would also advise poking around on the Cash Converters site - I got a brand new (still wrapped) TC Electronic Impact Twin for £120, against the normal price of £250. Every now and then, they have something like that which they've just completely mis-priced.
    <space for hire>
  • dhjdhj Frets: 21

I'm after an audio interface for my PC preferably with;

2 inputs, one for mic, one for guitar.

Midi would be nice.

Budget around the £100 mark.

So do you have any advice or recommendations?

I'm selling a Focusrite 2i2 for £80 plus postage if you are interested. Drop me a PM if you are.

Cheers
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    One of these - http://www.andertons.co.uk/usb-interfaces/pid25618/cid712/focusrite-itrack-solo-ios-mic-38-guitar-interface.asp

Works with a PC/Mac or iOS device such as an iPod or iPhone.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    Or this ... http://www.andertons.co.uk/usb-interfaces/pid28006/cid712/steinberg-ur22-usb-audio-interface.asp .. comes with Cubase AI which is an excellent entry level DAW.

• Thank you all for your input it has given me food for thought. PolarityMan has got me thinking, rather than get an interface just for my desktop it would be more flexible it get an interface that I can use with my laptop as well.

This changes midi from being optional to essential.

As much as I'd love to push the budget, her indoors certainly wouldn't want me too :)

The Tascam us-122 looks like it fits the bill, does it have phantom power for condenser mics?

I'm currently using NI guitar rig 5 and sonar x1 would the us-122 be a winning combination?

Thank you all for your input it has given me food for thought. PolarityMan has got me thinking, rather than get an interface just for my desktop it would be more flexible it get an interface that I can use with my laptop as well.

This changes midi from being optional to essential.

As much as I'd love to push the budget, her indoors certainly wouldn't want me too :)

The Tascam us-122 looks like it fits the bill, does it have phantom power for condenser mics?

I'm currently using NI guitar rig 5 and sonar x1 would the us-122 be a winning combination?

The Tascam does have phantom power but the two interfaces I listed above are far better. The Steinberg UR22 will work with a laptop or desktop and is a very high spec. I have one on my work PC.

• I got a Focusrite 2i4  and it is ridiculously easy to use, and it comes with a nifty software bundle. It also doubles as a MIDI interface too.  I think that this may be what you are looking for.
  • Thank you all for your input.

I've now pulled the trigger on a Steinberg UR22.

I'll let you know how I get on with it when it arrives.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1589

Thank you all for your input.

I've now pulled the trigger on a Steinberg UR22.

I'll let you know how I get on with it when it arrives.

So, have you got it yet?

Dave.

• Indeed I have!

My first impressions are mostly good. Hooking it up to my laptop was problem free, simply install the drivers and away you go.

My desktop PC was a different story, it took a long time to get it up and running. It was very glitchy and plenty of drop outs with my DAW. That was until I figured out that I had it plugged in to one of my PC's USB 3 sockets. After plugging it in to a USB 2 socket all the problems were solved. I thought USB 3 was backward compatible, maybe not!

The only real issue I've come up against is with high impedance input, if you have a high output guitar it can overload the input even with the gain completely backed off. Its alright with a stock les paul std, but you might get some clipping if you are using hotter pups.

I've not tried it for MIDI yet, that's the next step.

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Too late I know, but another recommendation for the Focusrite Scarlett 2i2.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback

Indeed I have!

My first impressions are mostly good. Hooking it up to my laptop was problem free, simply install the drivers and away you go.

My desktop PC was a different story, it took a long time to get it up and running. It was very glitchy and plenty of drop outs with my DAW. That was until I figured out that I had it plugged in to one of my PC's USB 3 sockets. After plugging it in to a USB 2 socket all the problems were solved. I thought USB 3 was backward compatible, maybe not!

The only real issue I've come up against is with high impedance input, if you have a high output guitar it can overload the input even with the gain completely backed off. Its alright with a stock les paul std, but you might get some clipping if you are using hotter pups.

I've not tried it for MIDI yet, that's the next step.

Are you using input 2 with the Hi-Z switch engaged?

• Yes, input 2 with Hi-Z engaged.

With my Les Paul plugged in I have the gain set somewhere between 0-2, depending on what I'm playing.