Home Recording......The Basics and Budgets?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    daveww said:
    Well said TTony.  If you buy interfaces (I like Apogee but others interfaces are available) you can always use them with bigger more complex rigs in the future.  I've owned loads of other stuff in the past and sold it.  If you want to record professionally, record a full band etc then you need more.  But if it's just you and a guitar then ipad and garageband or JamUp pro is a great place to start.
    When I started out music software looked like this:

And it never stopped me progressing past the beginner stage :)

I haven't tried any of the iOS stuff but if you cant program decent drums on it then I reckon it's a waste of time starting there. It's not like a DAW is very hard these days.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    I'm looking to start doing more home demos of song ideas and stuff once I'm in the new house in London (A WEEK ON FRIDAY OMFG). I've done diy recording before with my band so have a reasonable idea of how to do it and I have a USB interface, but I don't know what software to use. I've used the demo LE version of cubase which is ok but a bit lacking in functions, and logic which was great and cheaper than cubase or anything but I'd need a mac.. Does anyone know of any good, cheap other DAWs? What is this reaper you speak of?
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • PolarityManPolarityMan Frets: 7281
    http://www.cockos.com/reaper/

Very low cost DAW, unlimited free trial and only about £30 for a license. I switched from cubase and much prefer reaper tbh.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • @dindude

Hi

Had to come back to this thread regarding the ipad route as you and some others mentioned above.

I'm just thinking costs as I would have to fork out for the Ipad? Is it feasible or would it prove more costly? I don't know how cheap you can get a reliable ipad. New ones are a tad dear.

Cheers.

Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537

@Bellycaster

It certainly makes a lot more sense if you have an ipad already. If you have to stump up for one then not so much (justed checked on ebay and second hand prices are quite high, looking at least £200 for an ipad 2!), although once you have one there is no going back, they are superb, my home laptop has not been switched on in 6 months.

Once you're in it's pretty cheap, £2.99 to buy Garage Band app (last time I checked), then an interface, a budget of £100 gets you a very good choice.

All of my recording for The Fretboard challenges are done on an ipad, and I also mike up the amp too, rather than using sims, as you suggested.

Did you say you have an iphone? If you do I would recommend trying something on there first (I think Garage Band is available for the iphone) - the screen may seem a bit small, but for basic stuff you can get away with it.

Buy a cheap-ish guitar input-only interface for £40 (you will need to use amp sims), then you're up and running. Progress to better interface/ipad if the bug bites.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5844
    edited September 2013

Cheers @dindude

Knowing me, I will probably get tempted to go that route and think "sod the money". I will take in all the options on here so I am armed for when I go into the guitar store which would be Richtone in my City. I'd want them to demo me something if they want my cash.

I'm going down South on Friday so on the way back the next week I could detour into a Guitar Guitar(most likely Birmingham) too.

:D
  • Another iPad user here. It's not something I'd buy purely as a music tool, but its far more useful than an equivalently priced laptop.

I've tried PC recording several times and with a moderate rig it's always shite. Particularly if you want to use amp modelling rather than mixing an amp then you're always pissing about with latency and getting no music made. With the iPad you just plug the cables in, load up whichever apps you want and hit Go.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @stickyfiddle

Cheers.

Did you mean latency is a problem when using amp modelling on software and not when you use your own amp or a problem with both?

Or is latency generally a problem with Laptop recording in general?

• I've found it's always an issue when using an external source with the laptop. I've never had a PC entirely for recording, but with ipad and Apple gear it's never been an issue. 

The ipad just means less hassle compared with a PC at the same cost.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • @stickyfiddle

Ok, mate, cheers. I'll look into all my options, but I do have the bug now.

:D
  • The only hesitation I would have with the ipad route is if you stick at it you'll almost certainly out grow it and need to buy another interface for a laptop / desktop.

Personally I'd go for a a 2-track USB interface with phantom power and hi-Z. I havent had latency issues for several generations of hardwarre now.
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • @PolarityMan

Thanks for the tip, I would like to be "futureproofed" for want of a better word. I might like the idea of recording more than one instrument eventually.

:)
  • davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    You can go for an apogee one if you want. http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/one.php  Very flexible!

The apogee stuff is very good and you'll get a good second hand price if you decide to go for apogee jam or mic'.  I'd advise buying second hand in the first place then if you do sell you'll not loose out.  I got my apogee mic' from cash generator who now have an on-line country wide web-site http://www.cashgenerator.co.uk/home3.aspx  at the moment though they've only got an apogee duet which will only work with a mac.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom