What PC spec do I want?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22097
    Computers are one item that you will always find conflicting anecdotes on. Been looking around for new audio interfaces and that's a bloody minefield. On one spec one will run fine, another won't, something totally different. Open Office is a stock spec PC laptop will run absolutely fine. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jmasterjmaster Frets: 19
    I'm now considering ditching the laptop idea and getting a mac mini.. I like macs and it's the only way I could afford one, plus I like logic. But is a laptop pretty essential for a student?
    "have a good time, all the time" Spinal Tap
  • jmaster said:
    I'm now considering ditching the laptop idea and getting a mac mini.. I like macs and it's the only way I could afford one, plus I like logic. But is a laptop pretty essential for a student?
    Depends on how you work.  I didn't buy a laptop until my 3rd year of uni, I just used the computer rooms at the uni and did fine.  To be honest I still rarely used the laptop as back then all laptop batteries were rubbish anyway and I think I got about 90 minutes maximum away from a plug socket, if I was lucky and kept the brightness on low and only did word processing!

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited September 2013
    jmaster said:
    Doesn't a Mac Mini only have 4GB of RAM, and experience has taught me that my MBP finds running Logic Pro X a bit sweaty with 4GB. I'm upgrading my RAM to 8GB, you may have you upgrade your Mini Mac's RAM too.

Saying that, Mac is a great choice, and I am really starting to get along with Logic. The Fretboard Collective tasks are really getting me used to it.

• Don't buy Office. Download Open Office instead. So much good free software out there now. 
    Open Office runs at the speed of death squared on my XP machine, and its only part-compatible with MickeySoft Office.

Don't most students use MACs anyway? My sister did, and so did her two girls.
    It doesn't run slowly at all even on my old Core 2 Duo laptop, let alone the newer i7, and I've had no issues dropping files into Office either. Plenty of students go with PC laptops. 
    I've found that the word equivalent is perfectly serviceable but the excel and powerpoint replacements in Open Office suck serious balls. 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Odd. OpenOffice is fine for my business and AAT studies. Given that the OP is a student, I don't think he'd find anything in his course that OO would struggle to handle. 

Powerpoint on all formats is shithouse :D