Recommended AMP TECHS

What's Hot

Comments

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616

Mick @ MC Electronics in Bedford.

God with a soldering Iron. Thoroughly nice bloke who knows more than anyone I've ever met. Worked on my amps in the past and ALWAYS turned out amazing work. Nothing is too much trouble and his fast turnaround times (For me at least) have always surprised the hell out of me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • pickergpickerg Frets: 30
    Looking for recommendations for someone near Newcastle/Gateshead, especially someone with knowledge and experience of getting the best from vintage Fender style amps.
  • Max_b3Max_b3 Frets: 5

West Midlands

Mick Ameson of  MAJ electronic based in Kingswinford. Designs/builds/repairs amps. Recommended. 

• bignormbignorm Frets: 191
    Any decent amp techs in Devon?
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 597

+1 for Henk Philipsen (AmpWizard) in Horsham. 07746 245452

I can't speak highly enough of him. Really helpful, great prices, brilliant service. A1.

• samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    edited June 2014
    not sure i've mentioned this before...but...+1000 for @Jpfamps
  • Based in Liverpool: http://www.dwjboutiquepedals.com have heard brilliant things about Dan's work on amps & pedals.
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    JCA2550 said:
    Malcolm Hine of MPH Guitars, Edmonton, London, N18, has done loads of excellent, Amp Repair and Maintenance for me over the last few years. Hi s website's a bit creaky, but his work is top-notch.

http://www.mphguitars.co.uk/mphhome.html

-------------------------------------------

Big +1 - Malcolm's sorted out both my Marshall amps and set up four of my guitars including re-potting two of them.  Great guy, excellent service and workmanship ....and a fine blues player to boot!  

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2924
    tFB Trader
    +1 Brian Swatton, Peterborough. Transformed (pun not intended..) a rare 70s Petros 1 from a sickly thing to something nice, and went an extra mile or two with my Klemt I picked up today. Excellent bloke.
  • I've used Jerry Landeryou of Amps 'n' Axes several times and found him to be excellent. He even leant me a Marshall head for several weeks because I had an important gig to do (my own wedding!) – not because he couldn't fix my amp in time but simply because I didn't like the one he had fixed for me (an old Orange OR120M. They may look cool but they don't sound anything like as good as a decent Marshall).

Really nice guy, very reasonable prices and he'll even come to you, if that's what you need.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Think I will give Brian Swatton the delightful gift of my basket-case silverface. From his Facebook page: 

"Clearly delirious from the relief of leaving the dentist's with no work needed, I am now going to attempt to fault-find this 24 channel mixer without the aid of a map.

Later, I will attempt juggling monkeys."
  • John Kelly - been around a while and has sorted a couple of valve amp problems for me when no-one else could. And his charges were reasonable. Islington London N1 8NU 020 7359 8001

And for Fender amps, how about - errrr - Fender? 
    In East Grinstead 01342 331700
    I was expecting a minimum charge of £60 just for putting the amp on the bench - but they only charged me the cost of a valve that they replaced, and that was at trade rates so the total  bill was less than a tenner including VAT .

• 4string4string Frets: 33
    tFB Trader
    JCA2550 said:
    Malcolm Hine of MPH Guitars, Edmonton, London, N18, has done loads of excellent, Amp Repair and Maintenance for me over the last few years. Hi s website's a bit creaky, but his work is top-notch.

http://www.mphguitars.co.uk/mphhome.html
    +1 from me. Just had my LC15R re-valved and a new (greenback) speaker installed. Excellent service and what I consider a good price.
    Chief Bottle Washer @ Oil City Pickups.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16010
    Here is a big - up for Essex Amp Repairs ...very proficient and professional based in Witham  near Braintree .I think they do most of the Dr Z stuff for Peach -certainly have done good work on my stuff .I like the fact that they have an organised approach and can give a return date and quick diagnosis.
     Avoid amp tech in the hemel Hempsted area of hertfordshire unless you want terrible service ,excuses,and overcharging by as much as possible although decent work also a dreadful case of verbal diarrhoea
  • hywelg said:
    Nottingham:- Dave Ball 0115 9113964. Old school Rediffusion apprentice. He is reliable and so reasonably priced that I no longer bother asking him to call me with a price, I know he won't overcharge.
    Yep. Used Dave quite a few years back when I replaced the power tubes in a SF Twin and blew up a resistor with resulting burning smells and loud howling through the amp. He came recommended by the guy who ran the rehearsal studios we used and fixed the problem quickly and didn't cost a fortune.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• EdGripEdGrip Frets: 736
    Well, I can thoroughly recommend Brian Swatton in Peterborough. He did a good and professional job, followed my vague instructions, diagnosed the problem and didn't judge me for the amateurish modding that had gotten me into this fine mess. ;) I'm falling in love with my Princeton Reverb all over again. 
  • skankdelvarskankdelvar Frets: 473
    edited January 2015
    Steve Rowse near Bath has looked after my stuff for years. Excellent work, no bullshit, nice guy.

• jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12257
    The Amp Clinic in Salford, Roland Lumby is a legend
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
  • lloydlloyd Frets: 5773
    ^^^Just don't take an amp that's "difficult" to work on-gave me some pretty bad advice regarding my Peavey Classic 30, which had I followed it and not the people on here's advice, would have left me out of pocket by £100.....I've heard good things about him and his work though.....

Manchester based original indie band Random White:

https://www.facebook.com/RandomWhite

https://twitter.com/randomwhite1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    nickb_boy said:
    Any one have some experience of amp techs around Norwich/Norfolk way? Cheers
    Google Mark at HiQ. He does all the Aussie Floyd stuff.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom