Fretboard Task 2 September 2013

What's Hot

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    I thought I'd post this for a laugh. 

Before MR and theFB ate all my time I used to be an admin on a site called TheDaddy where we had a competition for our 5 year anniversary to make something themed around "The Daddy". 

I made this "Scum" themed track including the immortal words of Ray Winstone:

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @monquixote, I don't know about Scum, but it could fit seamlesly into one of Guy Ritchie's cockney crime capers.  I like it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I thought this was the kinda stuff the collective handled ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    frankus said:
    I thought this was the kinda stuff the collective handled ;)
    It did. It is no more so we set up a new Collective here.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    @monquixote, I don't know about Scum, but it could fit seamlesly into one of Guy Ritchie's cockney crime capers.  I like it.
    Cheers dude. 

That was the kind of vibe I was going for :D
  • Well then you've got it, my friend. :D
  • BasherBasher Frets: 1199
    God forgive me for this one. I had the idea to do something for a continental art-house film but as it progressed it was clear that it would be more suited to an exceedingly poor 1980s daytime French sitcom. Not really too much guitar and everything's slightly out of time. I did that deliberately to mimic militant French TV musicians having just returned from a 3-hour/3-bottle lunch and having only one shot at it before their 3-45pm finish time ;)

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    edited September 2013
    @Basher Tres bien! Very atmospheric - can almost see the subtitles.
  • Phil_aka_PipPhil_aka_Pip Frets: 9794
    edited September 2013
    Some of you may have heard this before, as I put it up in the MR music lounge. However Its got ideas in it that I think could be film-worthy. It is based on one of my favourite chord progressions, and features a lot of the instruments in my playroom. One, the shaker, cannot be reproduced 100%, although one could get close - it was made of rice in an empty squash bottle, and I ate the rice for lunch the day after doing the recording. The wind instrument in the middle is the descant recorder I last played at school in 1967, the tune is made of the notes I could remember the fingering for, and you can hear me getting out of breath.

"Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    Right. I usually like to do my recording before listening to everyone else's. That way I don't subconsciously rip off the ideas of superior musicians. Really enjoyed this task - so much more interesting and creative than playing the blues over loops! 

Here's a quick roundup of my thoughts: 

@Monquixote Really like this - reminds me a bit of Rubycon-era Tangerine Dream (a favourite of mine).

@Fretwired Truly pro standard and a great advert for the Massive synth (wish I could afford it). Very atmospheric and I like the way you've resisted the temptation to let anything jump too far out of the mix or detract from the claustrophobic, menacing atmosphere.

@dindude Loved the Jeff Beck like lead part although I thought it ended a bit abruptly. You've caught the genre well and I can picture the down-at-heel precinct station full of coffee-swilling, burly, middle-aged men with copstaches in those short-sleeved pilot shirts.

@Barney Not sure what sort of theme this is but it's very well played. If forced to guess, I'd say it's the music from a funky shoe ad off Swiss TV.

@Octatonic Wow! Very dark, very Reznor-esqe. Could easily imagine this as the theme to a hollywood action blockbuster!

@Octatonic (2) Another alarmingly pro-standard recording. Liked this but didn't think it had the main theme quality of the first one. I could hear this under a scene where the corn-fed, all American hero has recovered from several near death experiences by the skin of his perfect teeth and is heading along the highway in some kind of supercar for the final showdown with the almost comically evil bad guy, played by some European bloke who is usually to be found in better films.

@Handsome_Chris I'd buy a carpet based on this, if only to see it turn into some kind of terrifying Persian Manticore that I could set on the neighbours kids when they arrive home in taxis at 5am start shouting a lot in the street. LIked the Tom & Jerry chase appended to it. Mad as a badger and all the better for it.

@Monquixote (2) Ooof, another home run with this exciting tune. Obvious action thriller potential and a killer riff. Very good indeed!

@Phil_aka_Pip Another one that reminded me of Tangerine Dream, but this time one of their 80s film soundtracks. This has a genuinely majestic quality and deserves special commendation for being the only tune so far that could be used in a more romantic or dramatic setting. A lovely composition that show you to be a very accomplished writer and musician. Possibly my favourite entry both on musical grounds and the fact that you were the only participant to actually eat one of the instruments afterwards (just try that with a VST synth!).

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Basher said:
    @Octatonic Wow! Very dark, very Reznor-esqe. Could easily imagine this as the theme to a hollywood action blockbuster!

@Octatonic (2) Another alarmingly pro-standard recording. Liked this but didn't think it had the main theme quality of the first one. I could hear this under a scene where the corn-fed, all American hero has recovered from several near death experiences by the skin of his perfect teeth and is heading along the highway in some kind of supercar for the final showdown with the almost comically evil bad guy, played by some European bloke who is usually to be found in better films.

Thank you for the kind words, @Basher.
    The first one was down using the amazingly gritty time stretch feature of Acid Pro.
    I don't like it for anything else but the time stretch is so gnarly and lo fi- I've used it a lot.

Here is something else done in the same way

• Thanks @Basher for your kind words

Nice variety of well-done stuff on this thread :) 
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • I recorded this years ago but it sprung to mind when I read this task.  My mate said it sounds like something Tarantino would use which was a nice comment...

• davewwdaveww Frets: 165
    @chrisj1602 very nice and agree very Tarantino  :)

I'm hoping to get one up over the next few days but been kinda busy with work and a big family wedding and struggling for inspiration.....  might try a modal approach.  Here's a few I did a few months back which might help with ideas.

• ftumchftumch Frets: 679
    edited September 2013
    Love all this stuff:). This is something I did in GarageBand when I first got my iPad, just messing around with the synths mostly. I imagine it would be an end credit theme to a low budget Eastern European Tron sequel.
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Some good, inventive & creative stuff here chaps.

Nice one!
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614

i think this one is more in line what the post is about rather than my other tune...:)

its called the elevator song  and its like something you would here in a shop when shopping...the clue is in the title.. :)

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=8140862

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    @Barney -great playing AGAIN and you definitely have a touch of the Methenys!
    @octatonic I really like your neo-industrial stuff. Obvious NIN references but I also hear a lot of what I liked about people like Front242.

@chrisj1602 Liked the minimal feel and spaghetti western reverb! Would have loved a bit more in the way of something like sparse percussion or some swirly/scratchy noise effects for a bit of texture but that's just me. Quentin would probably disagree!

@davevw Nice to hear some modal stuff. I'd have loved to hear these developed into full pieces. I think my favourite was the dorian approach which had the makings of a great melody and loads of potential.

@ftumch Absolutely superb effort! Loved the overall theme and the way you kept it so fresh with things like the percussion droput and the legato synth line coming in.

@Barney More staggering stuff. I could see this one as a film soundtrack all day long! Fantastic playing and a really strong composition with pro production values. Lovely guitar tone too.

(On a side note, I saw you play a few times in the mid-80s with Plateau. You were several cuts above anything else around the area at the time! IIRC you had a basket weave / wood finish Boogie that sounded amazing. We once even supported you (it was a disaster). Anyway, great to see you're still playing and sounding better than ever.) 
  • BarneyBarney Frets: 614
    edited September 2013
    Basher said:

(On a side note, I saw you play a few times in the mid-80s with Plateau. You were several cuts above anything else around the area at the time! IIRC you had a basket weave / wood finish Boogie that sounded amazing. We once even supported you (it was a disaster). Anyway, great to see you're still playing and sounding better than ever.) 

really small world ...yeah Plateau only lasted for about 6 months...the amp was the MK2B ...wish i had kept it now but it went part ex for the MK4....where did you see us play and what was your bands name ...?