Earlier than planned GAS

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71951
    The cat in the case is saying to the other one "Where's that damn pigeon gone? I'm sure it was in here!"

@stickyfiddle - ha, somehow I missed this thread :). (Notifications seemed to be playing up a bit the other day.)

Great choice. You don't notice the bright red flame maple thing when you're actually playing it...

I know what you mean about that 'last couple of percent' thing - a couple of years ago I did some recording using my Dove, but on one song I used the studio owner's Hummingbird because I thought I wanted a more middy sound on that one. But when I listened to the recording later I had to go back and do it again with the Dove because the track with the Hummingbird just lacked 'something'.

Funnily enough I had mine out last night before I found this thread, and as usual it remains the only acoustic I've ever owned which sounds *perfect* as soon as I take it out of the case and play it. Every other one, I've always had to adjust my playing slightly to get completely happy with it, and I just assumed that was normal until I bought this one. It truly is a guitar for life.

The only things I've done to it are to replace the machinehead keys with small ebony ones - I don't really like the huge (and heavy) Grover ones - and to completely remove the factory electrics and replace with just a simple passive undersaddle transducer... I'm really not a fan of onboard preamps.

And to fit some ridiculously glitzy bone and abalone bridge pins, which I acquired by accident and seem to suit it! (No tone difference I can tell.)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26744
    Sounds like we agree then :)

I will probably get some nicer bone pins but only because plastic ones look rubbish. And I like Grovers, but it feels like regular tulip Klusons would be better suited and a lot lighter so I'll probably pick up some Tonepros ones next time I get the chance.

Soundwise you're spot on. In isolation I really liked the Hummingbird and the HD28 and the J45s, but as soon as I swapped back to the Dove it was like a blanket coming off. I've always set my electrics really bright - most would find them ice-picky but it's always worked for me. I guess this is the same. The extra sparkle is good for fingerpicking too (which accounst for at least half my playing these days), making up for some of the lost attack.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • OOOOOOH! That is Teh Secks. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Damn right! And I'm finally leaving Riyadh tomorrow so looking forward to playing it a lot!!
  • Damn right! And I'm finally leaving Riyadh tomorrow so looking forward to playing it a lot!!
    Have you been Workin' Nine to Five?

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Wahey!

:D

• OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Oh so you still have the guitar? 

Thought the point was the cats mauled it, y'know, being a dove n all that... ;)
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6090
    tFB Trader
    Beautiful guitar and I can concur that that Italian cafe is great!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Phwoar, that makes me fell all unnecessary that does. Absolutely gawjuss!
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • @stickyfiddle I'm late to the party, but it's a gorgeous GAS :) well done
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
    No-one was this nice about mine :D. Maybe I should have posted better pics…

For reference, mine is exactly the same as this one :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm sure yours is lovely too :)
    edited September 2014
    Update! This guitar is properly phenomenal. I've played it every day I've had the time to, and made time on a lot more days than I normally would've. 

Having a really decent (and tonally bright) acoustic highlights just how quickly I knacker strings though - even with Elixirs I'm finding them dull 6 weeks after changing, including a fortnight when I wasn't playing. Not going to get a year out of this set like I do with electrics, but it's a small price to pay.
    That's pretty normal - I've always found Gibson acoustics eat strings more than many other makes. I think it's because they tend to be warm and thick-sounding, so they need the extra brightness. It may be why I generally like them, since I normally don't like the sound of new strings - if that makes sense!

I find the Dove not so much 'bright' as having clarity and punch. It's still a warm-sounding guitar, to me. It's also quite heavily built so it really needs to be driven at the treble end - it's an odd design in some ways, which goes against some of the things which supposedly make for a good acoustic tone (heavy bridge and headstock, big pickguard etc) but for some reason it just works. Brilliantly.