SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

SOLD - Randall RM50 All Valve 50W Combo inc 2 MTS Tube Preamp Modules (blackface and plexi)

What's Hot
Joe_EasyJoe_Easy Frets: 19
edited March 2019 in Amps £
*** SOLD - March 2019 *** So I've decided to sell my Randall RM50...I recently moved house and it's now just too big and loud for the property I'm in, so I need to downsize. It's only had light home use, so is in great condition, and I recently had an amp tech give it the once over, so it's in good working order. Will be sad to see it go, it really is a quality amp.

It had a UK list price of over £1200, plus the modules at £200 each.  I'm looking for just £385 ONO.

Supplied MTS Modules

Blackface - Based on the preamp circuit of the Fender Twin

PLEXI - Based on the preamp circuit of the classic Marshall Plexi

Feel free to ask questions and if you're local and would like to try it out, let me know.

Collection preferred - based in Hertfordshire.

Brilliant review here - http://www.vintageguitar.com/3151/randall-mts-rm50rm100/

photo E05681EB-484C-44FA-857F-DAB7C53403EAjpg
photo 4B8B5A7F-A9FF-44C5-B06C-7B884A9719FEjpg
photo 997FE5E1-9AEC-47AE-A86E-BFDFA78CF015jpg
photo 70267552-3E8B-478E-A4D6-0A0993446ECAjpg
photo D016AA46-5D55-4F1C-9056-EB0A9C7F37B0_1jpg

In case you don't know much about them, here's a bit more detail;

In the early 2000s, the company worked with Bruce Egnater of Egnater Amplification to create the MTS (Modular Tube System) series of guitar amplifiers. These involve a single amp head consisting of the power amp and part of a preamp, and slots in the head (one for the RM20 head and combo, two for the RM50 head and combo and RM22 head, and 3 for the RM100 head and RM100C combo, and 12 for the RM1250H) in which you can insert their various preamp modules. These modules are tube preamps in themselves that model various amps, from Vox and Fender style cleans, to Marshall crunch, to all out Mesa Boogie style distortion.

The RM50 combo provides the flexibility to have any choice of two MTS preamp modules. It's a 50W, 6L6 powered with tube driven Accutronics Spring Reverb and is perfect for the active weekend musician. The spring reverb is fantastic, very deep and natural sounding and the supplied modules do an amazing job of capturing the authentic tone of the classic Fender twin (Blackface module) and Marshall Plexi.

RM50 Specification

PREAMP CHANNELS - 2 Modular Channels

MASTER CONTROLS - Volume • Effects • Presence • Density

POWER AMP - All Tube • (2) 6L • 50 Watts

SPEAKER - (1) 12" Celestion G12T-75

FEATURES - Tube Driven Spring Reverb • Series EFX Loop • Parallel EFX Loop • Front Panel EFX Loop Mix Controls • Rear Panel Tube Bias Section • World Voltage Selector • Footswitch

FiNISH - Creme Vinyl & Palomino Grill Cloth
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    Ooh, I bet that's nice and those modular systems are handy. Good luck with the sale
  • Joe_EasyJoe_Easy Frets: 19
    Kebabkid said:
    Ooh, I bet that's nice and those modular systems are handy. Good luck with the sale

It's a beauty. Unfortunately, because it doesn't carry the more desired brand names, it gets overlooked.
  • I bought the head version of this a couple of years ago (ex demo) which turned out to be a bit too loud for my purposes, but I have to say the plexi module was more classic Marshall sounding than a Marshall.
    The Swamp City Shakers
    edited August 2014
    I agree...here's a nice demo of the plexi I found on Youtube. I might stick some demo's of my own up at some point, too -

And here are a couple of very positive reviews...

http://www2.randallamplifiers.com/images/stories/newsandreviews/gbuyer_rm50cbp.pdf

http://www.vintageguitar.com/3151/randall-mts-rm50rm100/

Bump.
    I'm genuinely surprised no one has expressed an interest in this.  It's a brilliant amp.
  • I don't have the money right now, but this is a genuine option for me - I could use a lower gain Marshall preamp for cleans and a higher gain metal one for the other stuff.

Hmm. I might start a thread! Great price. If it's still around in a few weeks, I might be in touch.
    Hey man...yep, the Plexi is fairly low gain, you can definitely dial in a lovely clean tone with a bit of help from your guitar volume.  The other modules do still occasionally pop-up on eBay, so you should be able to find one of the higher gain modules.

Let me know if you're interested.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Well, seen as no one bit at the frankly ludicrous price of £500, I'm going to put the price up, because if it's not going to sell quick, it's going to sell right.  Now £600, and it's actually worth more...you're all mad.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • McTootMcToot Frets: 2041
    Joe_Easy said:
    Well, seen as no one bit at the frankly ludicrous price of £500, I'm going to put the price up, because if it's not going to sell quick, it's going to sell right.  Now £600, and it's actually worth more...you're all mad.
    Excellent - I like your style!  I hovered over the wisdom button for a sec, but was drawn to the Lol in a moment of impish mirth  ;)

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder

My trading feedback  - I'm a good egg  ;) 

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26450
    Joe_Easy said:
    Roughly translated:

"The wife's told me I've got to sell some amps but I don't want to let go of them, so the price is going to keep going up until she forgets about that particular conversation."
    <space for hire>
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Roughly translated:

"The wife's told me I've got to sell some amps but I don't want to let go of them, so the price is going to keep going up until she forgets about that particular conversation."
    Haha!  You're not wrong, it is a very reluctant sale...but it's of my own doing.........honest ;-)

I genuinely love the amp, it sounds just incredible and I really don't want to let it go, but I just don't have the space and I'm not gigging currently so can't justify hanging onto it.  To be honest, £500 just feels too low for such a quality amp and I know I'll regret letting it go so cheap, so I just thought I may as well try a get what I think it's truly worth.

Anyway, doesn't look like it's going anywhere regardless of the price.
  • longilongi Frets: 95
    I'd have bought this from you if didn't have a 4 day old newborn. I've always one of these amps. Oh well....
    longi said:
    I'd have bought this from you if didn't have a 4 day old newborn. I've always one of these amps. Oh well....
    Well congratulations to you! I'm sure the little one would want you to have it...

BTW...I should mention that I am looking to replace this amp with something more manageable and suitable for home use. Thinking Princeton at the moment.  I would consider a trade for Princeton on similar.
    Still available.  If you happen to be looking for an amp that will give you very authentic Fender blackface type cleans (think Twin Reverb) and Marshall Plexi crunch, then this is the amp for you.
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    You don't want to sell just the mods do you.
    nutbox said:
    You don't want to sell just the mods do you.
    Sorry, no.
  • nutboxnutbox Frets: 34
    No worries buddy good luck with the sale,have you tried putting it on here. http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php There a few uk people on there. Cheers dazz
    nutbox said:
    No worries buddy good luck with the sale,have you tried putting it on here. http://mtsforum.grailtone.com/index.php There a few uk people on there. Cheers dazz
    Cheers dude.  Yeah, hope to get it on there once I've hit the required 10 posts to access their classified section.
  • Out of interest, do these modules work as a standalone preamp? I know you don't want to sell them separate but could be worth me looking for one elsewhere if you can. Thanks
    Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
    soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
    youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
    thecolourbox;324978" said:
    Out of interest, do these modules work as a standalone preamp? I know you don't want to sell them separate but could be worth me looking for one elsewhere if you can. Thanks
    Hi there, I think you can, but you still need a special chassis to host them...the Randall RM4 would do it. Cheers.