when is the right time to join a band??

What's Hot

Comments

• GeorgieGeorgie Frets: 19
    Ok advert placed!!! Watch this space!!!! B-)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 919

Sweet! Keep us posted. FWIW, I got a jam partner off JMB, then 3 bands. If you're reasonably close to a city, it's good.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NervousJohnNervousJohn Frets: 191
    Gumtree is good for finding band members. I the community-musicians section.

Also being in time is more important than being in tune. And if you make a mistake do it again immediately so everyone thinks it was deliberate.
  • hugbothugbot Frets: 1528
    Immediately I think, but hanging out with your mates band, not a "we're super serious" band.
    Well a bass player who is older than me, got the t-shirt and likes my music styles has said he would love to help!! Eeeeekk!!! I was completely honest on the ad so I don't feel too pressured!!! Can't wait!!!
  • KebabkidKebabkid Frets: 3301
    There's no substitute for playing with other people. At Grade 4, get out there, have some fun, gain some experience, even work toward a gig and just go for it.

Good luck!
  • fastboyfastboy Frets: 166
    Enough people have said it. Get out there and play with people it will improve your ability ten fold. 

It's all well and good playing to backing tracks but playing live with people you'll need adjust your timing slightly as invariably sometimes it might get played faster or slower, listen out for what other individuals are doing for your cues, compensate for mistakes by others etc etc.

Provided you can play the songs (assuming you're doing covers), there's absolutely zero reason why you shouldn't be joining a band right now. 

I just looked at what grade 4 involves and it mentions minor / major pentatonics, double stops and 7th chords and arrpegios so yes, you're definitely ready. 
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Best time to join a band?

Thursday at 8-30.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1813
    I think most of it has been covered above but it is always worth remembering that musicians can be a royal pain in the ass. 

If you do go for an audition remember that it works both ways. Try get a feel for the group as a whole. 
    If you are doing a covers band try get money and other arrangements sorted up front. 
    Totally agree. I went to an audition for a lead guitarist at a forum member's ex band ( I shan't mention names LOL). I learnt 4 or 5 tunes set by them for my audtion, turned up on time but they were running very late. Started playing (when I eventually got in the rehearsal room to only find they they didn't really know the songs that well anyway. Oh and their singer strangely never turned up for it. Plebs!

Definitely join a band or start one and it's never too late or early :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • mike_l said:

Best time to join a band?

Thursday at 8-30.

Or, at least before closing time.

Go for it @Georgie. EC said he learned by playing with whoever would let him play with them. Treat doing your grades as parallel experience to jamming & gigging, not as "instead of". And above all, ENJOY!!
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • dilbertdilbert Frets: 202
    Georgie said:
    Well a bass player who is older than me, got the t-shirt and likes my music styles has said he would love to help!! Eeeeekk!!! I was completely honest on the ad so I don't feel too pressured!!! Can't wait!!!
    May be worth while dropping @clare_bear a pm. She went through exactly the same thing when she joined a band and should be able to give you her experiences and advice.

dilbert  
    edited August 2014
    @Georgie, oops forgot to mention, that after a few gigs, fame went to her head and the dear lady went off the rails a little and not only got married but found herself with a belly full of arms and legs. You should find that most bands are not quite that selective and will settle for the odd round and occasionally helping the drummer unload his gear. 

;)
    Well had a jam session with a bass player and vocalist, drummer went flaky!! Anyway both said 'see you next week' so must have gone ok. Now I just need a drummer!! Thanks guys - your comments made a difference and I have taken a big step in the right direction. Big hugs to you all!!
    edited August 2014
    Really good to hear, now you have an excuse to buy all the Gear you always wanted. :D 

Seriously, the honeymoon phase can be great fun so enjoy it and don't stress if things don't happen immediately.
    To be honest I have been sat for 6 month as a 'all the gear, no idea!!!' type so nice to be able to use it!!!

But yeah I can see me enjoying this for a very long time!!

Thanks again :D

I've "all the gear, no idea" for 20 years.........

Don't stop me annoying the neighbours though.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

Well least your 'noise' would be recognisable to Joe Public - not a syllabus!!!!! lol

I wouldn't go quite that far.........

• dilbert said:
    @Georgie, oops forgot to mention, that after a few gigs, fame went to her head and the dear lady went off the rails a little and not only got married but found herself with a belly full of arms and legs. You should find that most bands are not quite that selective and will settle for the odd round and occasionally helping the drummer unload his gear. 

;)
    Oi!  I resemble that comment....apart from the fame bit ;)

I've just seen your PM @Georgie and will send some of my non-existent wisdom your way!

dilbert said:

;)
    Oi!  I resemble that comment....apart from the fame bit ;)

I've just seen your PM @Georgie and will send some of my non-existent wisdom your way!

;))  @clare_bear. I knew you'd rise to my cheap jibes but would have some relevant advice to offer.

Anyway, great to see (and read !) you around these parts again.   ;)