Clip-on tuners - got my eye on a Snark

What's Hot

Comments

• GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    I've seen other people get on well with a Snark, but for accuracy I always like my Yamaha YT-250 (and no its not a twin cylinder 2 stroke motorbike even though it seems like it ought to be)
    I had a Yamaha FS1E50 when I was 16, a great bike for a 16 year old teenage rebel, but for reliability I'd get the Honda Cub 50.
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7670
    edited August 2014
    I had a Honda SS50 - if I'd known then that I could have stuck a C90 barrel, piston etc. onto it, I would have done, but I was young and clueless :)

"I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • GuyBodenGuyBoden Frets: 733
    edited August 2014
    Paul_C said:
    I had a Honda SS50 - if I'd known then that I could have stuck a C90 barrel, piston etc. onto it, I would have done, but I was young and clueless :)

Nice for a 16 year old...............................................
    "Music makes the rules, music is not made from the rules."
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    Another vote for the Snark. Even though it's not the most accurate tuner on the market, it has a clear, stable display which for me is more important. I hate tuners where the needle/display keeps jumping all over the place.

I have the Korg too but tbh the Snark gets more use.
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    I do love Snarks, but there's a design feature that has caused me some difficulty in the past. The joint between brain and stand is rather weak. I've since switched to using an Intellitouch which is more robust and does the job.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    Korg pitchclip works well for me and is pretty unobtrusive. 
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7349
    I've got a red Snark and a Planet Waves NS Mini  - both work well, the Snark probably easier/clearer in use but the unobtrisuveness of the NS Mini is great too. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • daveyhdaveyh Frets: 681
    Nick said:
    I do love Snarks, but there's a design feature that has caused me some difficulty in the past. The joint between brain and stand is rather weak. I've since switched to using an Intellitouch which is more robust and does the job.

I wrap a little strip of gaffa or electrical tape around the joint, becomes bomb proof then.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26746
    I have the PW one. It's perfect for me - works well and punters can't even see it from most angles
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • +1 for the Planet Waves PW-CT-12 NS Micro Headstock Tuner. I have one for every guitar I own and buy batches of batteries from ebay for them. I no longer use tuners on my pedalboards
  • I also hear the Korg is meant to be great...
    But I got a Snark yesterday. Who uses the tap metronome function (it's just a visual metronome right - I don't get it..)... and if the down arrow is for flat tuning, what is the up arrow for? Obviously I need to play around with it!
  • nickpnickp Frets: 182
    good link for the planet waves tuner.  I don't have one but I've seen some damn good players with them - permanently on the guitar and not really noticeable - I think I'll get them as it will free up some space on the pedalboard :)

• crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11411
    I have experience of the Snark and the Intellitouch.  The Snark tracks better than the Intellitouch - especially on the lower notes.  It does eat batteries though.
  • Anyone got one? Happy with the accuracy? 

The Peterson one doesn't seem like an option for me - I'd probably go spare chasing the strobe, by all accounts they're quite fragile, and it's just too easy to lose or get nicked - you could have a Snark and a spare, and still be spending significantly less.

I bought 2 Snarks - very easy to use and read, but both inaccurate - they show "in tune" when you are just nearly in tune
    try one alongside a clip on Korg AW-2 (I have these too) on the same guitar, and you will see the difference

I bought a peterson one - pricey and quite fiddly to use - only bother if you want Feiten and sweetened tunings, DADGAD, etc I think
  • I've had my planet waves micro for a year, it's toured a lot and always been great! It's not so good when the whole band is playing but in quiet situations it's hard to beat.
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15475
    just picked up a snark today (my little planet waves one with the inbuilt mic can't cope with the noise made by other acoustic instruments at sessions), seems good. Accurate as the planet waves, seems solidly built. Will reserve it for use in "live" situations which will hopefully preserve battery life. And it can pick up all the strings with no fuss, unlike the 1st gen intellitouch I've still got. None of that annoying moving it around the headstock trying to find the sweet spot.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• After some umming and ahing I went with a Korg Pitchhawk-G. It's fairly unobtrusive, firm grip on the headstock, the screen is really clear and it seems to track quickly and accurately. As do most of them these days I suppose! But I'm happy with this one.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • What finish is it that these clip on tuners (even with rubber grips - or perhaps due to rubber grips?) can ruin on a guitar? Nitro-cellulose? 
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 789
    edited October 2014

What finish is it that these clip on tuners (even with rubber grips - or perhaps due to rubber grips?) can ruin on a guitar? Nitro-cellulose? 
    To be honest, I'm inclined to take that one with a pinch of salt. I di hear a while back that nitro can react with rubber grips on stands, capos, clip on tuners etc but I have a couple of nitro finish guitars and haven't encountered any problems over the years. I've not heard this talked about for years now though - I assume manufacturers have changed the composition of the rubber, if it was a problem previously. I do remember that Hercules stands were actively marketed for a while as being 'nitro safe'.

• There is a great-looking CE24 on here whose previous owner put a tuner on the headstock and it left a mark. Wouldn't stop me from buying it but it made me slightly nervous about putting them on my PRS!