ASL From the maker of … Oil City!

What's Hot

Comments

• FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11497
    tFB Trader
    Ooh - some new stock ....and one for Dr Bob!

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 2998
    Sweet !
    tFB Trader
    Whoo Hoo 
    Postie brought a very welcom delivery this morning!
    A slew of new ASL pickups

Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice. I've said it before, but it's so awesome to see two brit guitar companies teaming up to make some loud noises. Or music, whatever.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9987
    tFB Trader
    Yet more ASL pickups soon destined for Jonathan at Feline ... Tubesnakes ... Transonic 70s ... Dyna-Mites ...
    The pickup parts are 'rubber banded' together on their nickel baseplates ...with their respective magnets according to unit type ... ready to be wound.

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader

We are starting to get a bit of a range, and also a few units going out to players too (Transonic has been v popular)

With the range we started with humbuckers. 
    We looked to have models that represented the Gibson pickups through each different decade where changes were made to the recipe, as well as having a few other pickups either based on guitar players who made a tonal landmark that players often refer to or stuff I wanted.
    These aren't official descriptions, but a quick taste of what we are cooking up so far:

Bean-O

Inspired by late 50s pickups that set the blues rock world alight in the mid to late 60s.
    Electric Blues that "burst" out the Thames Delta (South London) rather than the Mississippi delta.
    Yes - it's a classic late 50s PAF and does all that you'd expect of it.

42 gauge plain enamel wire. Alnico 4 magnets. Slight overwind.

Dyna-Mite 

Inspired by mid 60s T Top humbuckers.
    Pure TNT in the hands of certain Young players, creating Thunder from down under.
    Really it's the sound of the late 60s and early 70s

42gauge wire Alnico5 magnets. Controlled wind.

Riot-Act (Paf 7.3)

Inspired by some of the PAFs from the mid 70s where Alnico 3 was used 
    (Alnico3 has no cobalt in it and cobalt was scarce in the mid-70s as it was used in nuclear warheads)
    Smooth top end and able to be very clean , but dirties up well with pedals or amp gain.
    Great as a jazz/blues neck pickup or for those who want to ride the Crazy Train (Randy Rhoads' White LP had this type of pickups in it)

42gauge wire. controlled wind. Alnico3

Tour-84 

My pet project - I wanted a slightly raunchy PAF style pickup loaded with an alnico5 magnet, where you had just the right mix of low end authority, but with sparkle on the top end. We used a careful mix of 42 gauge wires to achieve this.
    It's a great all rounder and has a great clean sound, but is pretty rude with a crunchy amp.
    It is a pickup that works well with late 70s through early to mid 80s tones.
    Sounding like it powered bands of that era from small clubs to mega stadium rock - we simply called it the Tour 84.

42 gauge wire. Alnico5 magnet

Eruption

You probably don't need too much introduction to this one.
    An overwound hot-rod of a pickup - where the mids are nice and fat, yet the top end and bottom end also stand out.
    Sounding like a blend of humbucker and single coil for a tone as brown as they come.

42 gauge wire Alnico 5 magnet 

‘Sid’

We took a classic vintage neck humbucker and opened up the mids a little to give a great neck pickup for both chords and single note playing. 

42 gauge wire Alnico 4 magnet

Transonic-70

An homage to a mid 70s New York powerhouse
    It fuelled the late 70s rock scene and the NWOBHM almost couldn't have existed without it
    Meanwhile New York's finest facepainted arena rockers used it to rock and roll (all night)

43 gauge wire. triple ceramic magnets

TubeSnake

The Tubesnake lets you boogie all the way from Texas to the Snakepits of Los Angeles
    So whether you favour a ten gallon hat or a tophat this pickup will provide the sizzle.
    On a serious note it's a slightly fat and aggressive PAF with an alnico2 magnet for sweet highs and a buttery low end.
    The bridge unit can rock out whilst the neck pickup really sings.

42 gauge wire alnico2 magnets

tFB Trader
    We are pleased to say that we have had yet another delivery and our shelves are getting well stocked with the new ASL pickups for sale.

We have the Bean-O (50s PAF) in classic Nickel covered sets as well as open black (other colours upon request).
    The covered one we have is the unpotted version that some vintage purists will prefer, whilst the open we chose to wax pot.

We have the Dyna-mite in nickel cover and open black.This pickup represents the Patent number pickup where the winding spec was more tightly controlled. We can offer this in the early pre-64 version in plain enamel or the post 64 version in Polysol.

We have a couple of artist styled variants of the Tubesnake 
    The Nickel cover looking great in a Pearly Gates setting whilst the open ones we have are in zebra with the bridge zebra colours being reversed like Slash had on the Derrig Les Paul he used on Appetite.
    Obviously all options are available - we were simply having a bit of fun with a pickup that easily covers these two players style

We currently have a Riot-Act in Zebra, although some vintage nickel ones will follow (just need a white LP custom for them to go in)
    Having said that I am looking forward to trying these out in a jazz players guitar as they will sound lovely with the restrained top end and low wind spec.

Transonics seem to be going like Hot-cakes at the moment - with 3 members of the forum enjoying them already.
    The classic double cream with black allen bolts seems to be the favourite colourscheme - obviously a nod to their popular  point of reference in so many 70s and 80s axes. We are also keeping them in wide spaced varieties as they will go great in superstrats.
    We're even doing some in hot pink as they will work well in 80s hair metal axes too.

We have a few Tour 84s in, although mostly in zebra as i seem to keep reordering my own obsession.
    We will get some in Black and covered ones too.
    We do have one in a half cover - the open top ring

A couple of Eruptions in open black/53mm spaced have arrived, although one is spoken for and the other I am gagging to put in a VH style guitar I have to road test it further.

We have some of the new Blackmachine prototypes in final testing and those too will be available as soon as Doug has given the final test and nod of approval. I have to confess  that judging by the tones the set in my own Blackmachine create, that this will prove to be one of the more popular models.

And of course there will be more to come - higher octane stuff ...and maybe some 7 string ones too!

tFB Trader
    Just put an ASL Euption pickup in a completed build of an "84 Superstrat.
    Guitar is £1899 if anyone fancies buying her

Alder body, maple neck, Original Floyd Rose (downwards action only), all access heel etc

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DougDoug Frets: 172
    Wow, stunning! finish/colour, (I'd prefer a small Strat style headstock, but still, just my 2p)
    tFB Trader
    Lets be subtle ............ nah, lets not be!
    A 'customer ordered' pink Transonic :-)

Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    nice hot pick...reminds me 80's steve via with that swiss cheese style guitar!

• juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    edited August 2014
    Fitted mine. It's a Transonic70 and a matching neck pickup. It's labelled Eddie, but I'm not sure that's actually what it is. It's something I asked Ash for ;) Anyhow, do like. The TS70 is a complete beast.

It's interesting to compare it to the TS70 in a V. In the V it almost sounds scooped in comparison to the Mustang that is much more middy. Not as in your face as it is with the V, but still loads of tight, tight bottom and crunchy highs. Lots of nice 70's growl.

The Eddie is brilliant. I wanted a matching high gain neck pup that split well. I have a favorite for this and Ash set about to make something in that ballpark and I think he's nailed it. No mud whatsoever. Clear as a bell, even more so when it's split and it sounds genuinely single coily.

The Mustang called for some interesting wiring. I went with series/split/parallel with a standard 3 way. Lots of people complain about the noise with a PS Mustang Special and I can happily say I've had no such issues. No need to shield the guitar at all, even for split mode. It's lovely and quiet. Considering I've stuck with the standard electronics (I did swap the cap, but otherwise the switches, wiring and pots are all stock), there's nothing wrong with them. Nice.

The only thing I didn't do was get a wide spaced TS70. Purely because they're likely to end up in something else at some point so to keep the options open I stuck with regular spacing. Only an aesthetic thing really. Saying that, I'm REALLY liking them in the Mustang. For such a small and light guitar it sounds f**king huge with these in. Cool as f**k.

tFB Trader
    Wow that looks cool! Glad you like the pickups.

The Eddie design had been in my head for a while ... so I made some tweaks to develop it to to your specs ... and I do believe the name will stick :-)
    It's always been a quandary knowing what to pair ... er ... a 70s style, distortion oriented bridge pickup with ... I think Eddie holds his own!

Agree, cracking pairing!
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16547
    Now that's what a pawn shop mustang should look like!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Yes the Eddie name came about from a bit of daft humour between Ash and myself - we had two neck pickups that benefitted from being sonically opened up a bit .

The first was in the vintage territory and the other was a hotter pickup that does indeed make a good companion for the Transonic 70.

We joked that one pickup was little and the other was large , and the little and large reference led to those cheesy 70s primetime comedians : Little and Large aka "Sid and Eddie".

edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    While we're playing around ....I fitted a couple of ASLs in a project guitar this week

A couple of Lion Cubs aimed at having a good blues and jazz sound (still rock out though)
    The guitar on the right got the ASLs whilst we had a set of BKPs that we tried for compaison in the other guitar.
    I used a Beano in the bridge and a riot act in the neck (the alnico 3 lending an amazing clean tone - one that will be great for jazz too)

Some experimenting to do still - although the riot act will stay.
    I may even try the Eruption in the bridge as my instincts tell me it will work well in the Korina body.

WezV said:
    Now that's what a pawn shop mustang should look like!!
    Have to admit that I'm in two minds to go any further, but I like the idea of a Toranado bridge on there...

Sorry for the thread de-rail.
  • samzadgansamzadgan Frets: 1471
    that Mustang looks great @Juansolo...love the double cream's!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27346
    @FelineGuitars

Don't see these on your website anywhere obvious ... 
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.