Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

How would you approach Livin' On A Prayer with just one guitar and no keys?

What's Hot
close2uclose2u Frets: 997
edited September 2014 in Live
Guitar, bass, drums, vocals.
Just started to learn this week to see if we can make it work.
I will be using a Zoom G3X for FX.

I figured I'd hold the opening chord with the ascending bass line from C to D to E on guitar with some spacey FX to sound like synth ... not sure what FX will work best yet.
Then the bass kicks in with the riff and I will join in.
I'm not sure how to get anywhere near the voice box effect.

During the verse I was going to play the stabbed 8ths that the electric piano plays with a fairly clean sound ... not sure what FX yet ... subtle I guess.

Then hit a bit of overdrive for the power chords section through the chorus etc.
I don't have a tremolo so I'm going to skip the lick during verse 2 with the dive bomb open G string.
Obviously boost, OD etc for the solo.

Have you ever done it in a simple 4-piece?
Any advice?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28333
    Pray about it?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30888
    I wouldn't worry- I think you're halfway there.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

15reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • We did it a while ago. For the intro I just played the notes and let the guitar feedback with loads of delay. That seemed to work. Verse talkbox stuff I got away with using an envelope filter. Not the synthy sounding sort but the wah sounding sort. Worked a treat.

Oh and do play that lick even if you don;t have a trem. Everyone knows it and will be expecting to do air guitar. Just slide down the neck instead of dive bombing.
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    What key(s) or tunings are people playing this song in?

The biggest hurdle seems to be the vocals... that key change.  How are people coping with that?
  • You can get close to the talk box thing with a good throaty way pedal.

As for the verse 2 lick, Phil X played it on a hard tail - verse 2 starts at 3:40 :)

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires

• Make it your version within what you have available. The crowd only recognise the song by the dum di dum dum bass intro then just want you to get to the chorus so they can sing it 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17598
    tFB Trader
    I think the G3 has an auto wah effect that can do vowel sounds.
  • I think the G3 has an auto wah effect that can do vowel sounds.
    So does the M9 but I assumed this wasn't automatically a "what pedal do I buy for one song" thread :D

EDIT: and then I spotted that he already has a G3X which is the exp-pedal one. That'll work very well :)
    So does the M9 but I assumed this wasn't automatically a "what pedal do I buy for one song" thread :D

EDIT: and then I spotted that he already has a G3X which is the exp-pedal one. That'll work very well :)

my M9 didn't have an auto wah, it was probably the most requested thing on the M series page of the Line 6 forum. But, yes, the OP has a G3X so it is a moot point.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FuzzdogFuzzdog Frets: 839

Make it your version within what you have available. The crowd only recognise the song by the dum di dum dum bass intro then just want you to get to the chorus so they can sing it 
    This.  I remember coming up with a rather intricate fingerstyle arrangement so I could cover both guitar parts, and considered dragging the old DIY voice box out of retirement, then had a sudden moment of clarity.

"I'm putting all this work in just to play a f***ing Bon Jovi song."

Just ended up playing the sustained chords, let the bass cover the riff, and joined in with the bass on the riff now and then.  99.999% of the audience didn't even notice a difference.  As long as they can drunkenly shout "WOOOOOOAAAHOOOOOOOOOH" every now and then, they're happy.
    -- Before you ask, no, I am in no way, shape or form related to Fuzzdog pedals, I was Fuzzdog before Fuzzdog were Fuzzdog.  Unless you want to give me free crap, then I'm related to whatever the hell you like! --
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

my M9 didn't have an auto wah, it was probably the most requested thing on the M series page of the Line 6 forum. But, yes, the OP has a G3X so it is a moot point.
    I'm sure mine does. Maybe it's a more specific talk box thing rather than autowah - I can't remember cos I've never really used it. No matter :)
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

The EVH wah has a nice throaty wah sound.

As for the "dive-bombed open G", play the G further up and slide down......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• We play this live and I'm the only guitarist. If we're not using my MIDI guitar for synth, then we just kick in with the bassline riff.

I use a Danelectro FreeSpeech talk box. Very cheap and through my vocal mic, it sounds great. We always get a good reception to doing it this way and the technique for using the talkbox comes pretty quickly. Its about making shapes with the mouth, but no actual noise.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Transpose the fucker down quite a few tones - Jon Bon Jovi sings flipping hi up, you'll hurt your knackers if you don't.

And yes - wah pedal or env filter will be fine.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Grunfeld said:

The biggest hurdle seems to be the vocals... that key change.  How are people coping with that?
    I recommend the tried-and-tested 'hold the mic out to the crowd' technique.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • IanSavage said:
    Grunfeld said:

So does Mr Jovi these days!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • As far as I was aware, Richie Sambora sang the high parts. And Phil X did when they toured recently.
    IanSavage said:
    Grunfeld said:

Got it.  And as @stickyfiddle said, this is just what JBJ did on that vid.  So... the song is back in. 
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719
    I think I'd approach it stealthily from behind with a telecaster, then BAM!! BAM!! BAM!!

... right over the head and I wouldn't stop until that leg had totally stopped twitching and kicking a bit like they do..

terrible song ;)
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    frankus said:

terrible song ;)
    A song that lasts 4:09

And earns about £350

That's £1.40 a second. 

I can live with that.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom