I wrote a thing about singing - NEW PART 3!

What's Hot
monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
edited October 2014 in Live tFB Trader
As some as you will know as well as running this place I contribute to Easy Ear Training.

I've recently written a series of articles on my experience of having singing lessons and the first one has just gone live:

A few more should be appearing over the next few days.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Nice work, I'll be following this with interest as someone who's also been 'volunteered' to do some BVs, even though I don't feel very comfortable with my voice (ie it's shite!)
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader
    Cheers fella. 

My top tip would be just do loads of singing as much as you can, in the car, or the shower or what have you. Your voice gets way stronger as a result. 

Lessons are well worth doing as well, it's really handy to have someone point out what you are doing wrong.
  • Yeh, I think that's where I fall down, I don't do enough of it in the mean time between rehearsals...must try harder! I'm fairly sure my technique is all wrong so like you say, maybe a few lessons would really help.
  • close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    I'm such a non-singer (in terms of tuning) that it hurts.
    And yet I love singing.
    And I can sing and play at the same time.
    I have never seriously considered singing lessons as my out-of-tuneness is a part of my personality I would say.
    But in my current 4-piece, we don't have any backing vocals ... so someone ought to do it.
    that said, the bass & drum do sing better than me already - so maybe I should exert pressure on them!!

Interesting read ... be fascinating to follow your story through until we get to hear you.
    Are you recording your progress?
    Maybe with one tune as a testing ground?
    tFB Trader
    I do recording as part of my lessons though it's not the same song over and over. Mostly we work on a song that's slightly out of my comfort zone and then work on it until I can do it.

I am now starting to do some vocals in my band so they will get recorded weekly as we leave a recorder running.

I've pondered posting one of my lesson recordings, but I'm still not that great so I'm not sure I want to put you through it.
  • Bah. Read through the whole article, then it stops right before the money shot.

:D
    <space for hire>
    tFB Trader
    That's the idea. 

There are another couple of installments due in a few days. 
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Will be interesting to contrast your experience with mine coz I started lessons back in February.
    tFB Trader
    Drew_fx;350832" said:
    Will be interesting to contrast your experience with mine coz I started lessons back in February.
    How are you finding them?

Planning to add some vocals to TNBD?

• close2u said:
    I'm such a non-singer (in terms of tuning) that it hurts.
    And yet I love singing.
    And I can sing and play at the same time.
    I have never seriously considered singing lessons as my out-of-tuneness is a part of my personality I would say.
    That's me all over.
    :\">
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
  • Interesting read. I'm a typical backing singer in that I can sing in tune and have a fairly decent range but when isolated my voice sounds a bit weedy and it's not a particularly pleasant timbre. I'd love to be able to sing properly though.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    Drew_fx;350832" said:
    How are you finding them?

Planning to add some vocals to TNBD?

They're good, but I still struggle with some stuff - mainly bridging into high registers. My vowels are becoming quite good though, but I still hate the sound of my voice lol.

We had three or four vocal tunes with TNBD, but I think in the future we'll remain instrumental.
  • Thanks for posting, looking forward to the next installments.
    tFB Trader
  • Will DEFO be reading this!
    tFB Trader
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitariguitari Frets: 19
    Good stuff @monquixote

Lessons are something I'd love to do when time/money allow.