Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Recommendations around the £400 price tag

What's Hot
dhaywood17dhaywood17 Frets: 1
edited September 2014 in Acoustics
Hi, I'm looking to upgrade from my pretty awful Fender DD31SCE. Maybe that's a bit harsh, it's got a really nice sound but the action further up the neck is pretty awful, around 7mm, and despite the neck being well adjusted I can't see any way of lowering it further as there's only around 3mm at the bridge to play with. So basically I've decided to get rid and buy something else as I'm looking to get out and gig sometime soon. Top of my list is a Seagull S6 Original but as there are no shops stocking it locally I'm going to have to mail order unless I can find an alternative. This is where you guys hopefully come in. Firstly, is the S6 as good as all the reviews say and what other alternatives are there that offer the same apparent quality and sound? I will be looking to sell my 50th anniversary USA Std Strat so that puts the budget limit somewhere around £450-500 with a following wind. And obviously there's always the option of buying second hand. Cheers, Duncan. Please excuse the lack of paragraphs posted from an iPad and for some reason it doesn't like it.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Be weary of Seagull. They have quite an unusual neck profile / nut widths on some models. I always liked the look but have never got on with how they are to play. My recommendation would be to buy second hand, Yamaha is the smart money choice but you've got Faith models in that price range too and the bang for buck is great on those!
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    Depends if DIing or Amping, or just an acoustic.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• I wasn't sure on the best way to amplify it as I've never done it with an acoustic. I'll admit I'm not a big fan of the piezo sound and was swaying towards mic'ing, but then again I've no idea how technology has moved on or how it sounds. I would like something that is as close to the true acoustic sound as possible which is why I was thinking mic.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30826
    If that's the case, the Yam APX series is unbeatable for onboard. Make sure SRT amp- the new one.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6084
    The S6 is a great guitar for finger-playing as it has the 1.8" nut width and the necks are quite chunky so you may want to try before you buy. Personally I really like them and if I didn't already own a decent acoustic (a Walden Supernatrura ) I would pick one up in a heartbeat.

The other brand to check out as it always seems to get good reviews is SIgma. Their 000R-28V model is particularly nice...and is in your price range. 

Also a used Faith Saturn, or new Naked series model is worth considering as they are excellent value for money.

(pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • A used Taylor 100/200 Series. They play like a dream, will sound significantly better than what you've got and have decent on board electronics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I just bought a used Faith Venus for £300, gigged it last night and it sounded really good.
  • I am selling a Seagull S6. I prefer the sound of it to my GS mini but for a short arse like me a dreadnought is far too big.
  • Plenty to think about there, it's just a shame most of the guitar shops in Nottingham sell none of the above so it's going to be difficult to try any out before buying unless I get lucky in the second hand market locally.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31368
    I put up "I need to buy an electro acoustic guitar for a gig tonight, sell me one!" as my Facebook status yesterday morning, by lunchtime I had a barely used
    Faith Venus.

I only have 100 or so Facebook friends and the vast majority are not musicians.

I would have taken my 300 quid to a local shop yesterday afternoon if nobody had come up trumps, but I ended up with a slightly used £650 guitar instead.

The point is that most people have no idea they have stuff for sale until you wave money at them, I got a good guitar which wasn't being used, my mate got a totally unexpected 300 notes.
    :)

• Thanks for the idea. Ill give the nottingham selling page a try.
  • Try the guilds from the gad range, great guitars for the money hard cases included etc.
  • Look out for a good used Faith. They're excellent.

Also, used Yamaha LL6, LL16 etc.  All the LL Yamaha acoustics are hand built in Japan.  Just keep an eye on eBay for a tidy one at auction.

M
  • Again, thanks for the suggestions I'll see what's around. Still need to move my Strat on though (cheeky hint to see the classifieds!)
  • So, I've managed to pick up a Faith Saturn Natural for £315 on the bay. Looking forward to it being delivered later this week. No doubt I won't be in so will endure the usual palaver of being carded and struggling to get hold of it lol
  • Gassage said:
    If that's the case, the Yam APX series is unbeatable for onboard. Make sure SRT amp- the new one.
    About 10 years ago I would have agreed but Yamaha are so far off the pace now its concerning. Anything Yamaha under a grand fails to impress, unless you go nylon. I have nothing but love for the classical stuff. 

For £400 ish I would go used and look at Faith, Seagull, Breedlove and maybe takamine

The baby Taylor/Martin are worth a look too. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • thomasw88thomasw88 Frets: 2316
    2nd hand tanglewood tw15, all solid wood s, and plays beautifully
  • Now sorted with a Faith Saturn Natural Series that sound wonderful. Thanks for the suggestions everyone.
  • paulmapp8306paulmapp8306 Frets: 829
    edited October 2014
    Get to dave manns music. Only do acoustics and while a lot are high end (in today looking at a Taylor, collings and a couple of Martins), they have plenty in your range including faith, crafter, tanglewood etc. They ate a seagull dealers well but aren't stocking them currently due to qc issues.
  • mitchmitch Frets: 2
    Take a look at the Seagull S6 slim. Its A great seagull and has a more standard nut width. I really like this range and think they punch well above their weight. To me the yamahas are a little bland and uninspiring. But of course what matters most is what you think.