NGD: Lowden S32J

http://www.georgelowden.com/page1/page9/jazz.html

Best guitar I have ever played, sounds very piano like, not a typical nylon string sound. Plugged in sound is warm and rounded.

Will be selling my Lowden S23 cedar/walnut soon if anyone is interested - will list it on Classifieds in the next few days.
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BrizeBrize Frets: 5619
    Beautiful. I'm very fond my my Lowden F32SE.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • birdobirdo Frets: 24
    The best acoustic I ve ever heard was a lowden. There was a guy brought one in to a shop I was in , for a set up. I was trying out a Taylor at the time but after the guy strummed a few chords on his lowden, I put the Taylor back on the rack and left . I just knew that if I bought a guitar that day it would always remind me of of something a million times better.
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4287
    Congrats, enjoy it!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• EvilmagsEvilmags Frets: 5158
    Beautiful. Well done sir, top GAS
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    Lovely guitar!
  • mellowsun said:
    http://www.georgelowden.com/page1/page9/jazz.html
    Best guitar I have ever played, sounds very piano like, not a typical nylon string sound. Plugged in sound is warm and rounded.
    Will be selling my Lowden S23 cedar/walnut soon if anyone is interested - will list it on Classifieds in the next few days.

COngrats.  Very nice.
  • birdo said:
    The best acoustic I ve ever heard was a lowden. There was a guy brought one in to a shop I was in , for a set up. I was trying out a Taylor at the time but after the guy strummed a few chords on his lowden, I put the Taylor back on the rack and left . I just knew that if I bought a guitar that day it would always remind me of of something a million times better.
    Good decision, birdo.  To me, I think Taylor make some good guitars... whereas Lowden make some great guitars.  In addition, I always think Lowden's have their own voice... they don't seem to copying other tones.
  • ADPADP Frets: 184
    I must check one of these out. I see that it says that George redesigned them around 2003. I played one when they first came out and thought it looked and felt superb. It remained my dream nylon-string for many years until I finally was able to afford one. I bought an S25J from the factory around 2000 and got a great deal on it, but I just couldn't bond with it. It just didn't have the sound I was after. It always seemed kind of lifeless and I thought it sounded like a steel-string acoustic guitar with nylon strings. In fact, it had the bracing of a steel-string. One night I went to a small concert locally where one guitarist was playing a traditional classical guitar and the other a Lowden just like mine. And it sounded just like mine, too. It persuaded me that as beautiful as it was and as nice as it felt, it had to go. Luckily, I got exactly what I paid for it but I've never found anything to replace it.
  • mellowsunmellowsun Frets: 2422
    I've not tried the S25J, which has a cedar top. Would be interesting to compare with the Adirondack S32J.

I find the guitar really touch sensitive, and it doesn't sound plinky-plunky the way some classicals do (to my ears) - there's bags of sustain. I think it works best with high tension strings.
  • there was me hoping that would be a £600 guitar 

doh!
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.