Repairing old studio gear

Does anyone know how to get an AMS reverb repaired ?

I don't even know if they are still in business.  Lots of companies get swallowed up by bigger ones, a fact I know only too well.

Pretty old digital technology, so I'm not even sure how to go about finding someone with the expertise who I could trust.

Any ideas ?

This unit has been knocking around since my previous life.  I am not in a hurry to get this sorted, it is around somewhere gathering the dust of ages.  I think that there are a couple of other units which need a little TLC to bring them back to life too.

So trusted "vintage" techs or OEMs? which way should I go?  and is it even considered "vintage"?

I have been following the discussions on digital recording, so I recon I will get something when I have worked all the new tech out (and that may take some time), and it would be nice to get back into some recording etc again,
This reverb always did sound absolutely stupendous.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• We mainly repair our own stuff. I exited uni just when surface mount technology was in progress affording me old school skills of component level repair. Throw into the mix my introduction to valve technology as a kid and the two go hand in hand in maintaining old vintage gear. What area are you in and I'll ask around.

• ChrisMusicChrisMusic Frets: 1133
    edited September 2013
    @Bogwhoppit said:   We mainly repair our own stuff... What area are you in and I'll ask around.
    Hi there, thanks for the response, I thought of you as you seem to be mad enough to go real valve vintage with the new studio.
    Good luck with that BTW.  That has got to have some overhead in time keeping the whole thing in the air, so to speak.

I live near Cirencester in the Cotswolds, (so Bristol is about an hour, as is Oxford, and Reading, Birmingham SW is about hour and a half as is W London).

edit: for geography.

It would be nice to dip my toes back into all this, with all that new recording technology has to offer, but there is a lot to learn, and re-learn too !

Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725
    Call Cimple Solutions- if they can't do it then they should know who can.

• @Bogwhoppit said:   We mainly repair our own stuff... What area are you in and I'll ask around.

I live near Cirencester in the Cotswolds, (so Bristol is about an hour, as is Oxford, and Reading, Birmingham SW is about hour and a half).

I'll ask around and see if the guys know anyone down you way. In the meantime call Cimple's (sorry :() like Octatonic suggested. I've never had the need to deal with companies like Cimple Solutions, so have no knowledge of what they can offer.

• Thanks - octatonic and Bogwhoppit, I appreciate the input.

• Hey @ICBM, do you have a perspective on this issue of getting older studio gear fixed?

I have a genuine respect for your opinion, so if you have any ideas, pointers or contacts which might be of help, I would be grateful.

• I was just thinking that @maltingsaudio, you are not that far away, and deal with a lot of pro-audio gear, do you have a trusted local-ish repairer, or any other suggestions?

• @chrismusic do most of my repairs myself if not do know a few what exactly is wrong with the reverb?
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Hi @maltingsaudio, thanks for the reply, It was decommissioned and boxed up over 20 years ago !!!
    My only memory is that it had completely died.  It lived in a rack and I'm not sure if the ground lifting for that caused a problem, as IIRC it was out of the rack when it died.  I think it had been used for mixes in another studio.  I really don't remember much from back then (long story), so that's not much help.
    I seem to recall that a couple of other rack FX needed TLC too, an old Roland Dimension D amongst them.
    I have just started playing again after many years off, and I have been thinking about recording again, and catching up with the pro-audio world too.
    I appreciate the help, cheers, Chris

• Depending on how far you are from Shepton I can take a look for you, 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Thanks @maltingsaudio, I live just south of Cirencester.  I have thought that it might be worth a trip down to you sometime just for a chat and to catchup a bit on the pro-audio business, if your'e up for it?

• Surely, doing a gig in Knowle with Troy Ellis saturday night. If your in Cirencester then Bristol is your best hunting ground there's Electrofix, Pro Audio Repairs and http://www.emismusic.co.uk/ worth a call 
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Thanks @maltingsaudio, I'll check them out too.  I'll be in touch, cheers, Chris