when is the right time to join a band??

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• Eddie Van Halen once said that playing with people was like 'falling down stairs and landing on your feet or falling flat on your face' You will get there eventually, you just have to go through all the bumps for a while..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MoANjAm said:
    Eddie Van Halen once said that playing with people was like 'falling down stairs and landing on your feet or falling flat on your face' You will get there eventually, you just have to go through all the bumps for a while..

Sting said something like always aspire to be the worst musician in the room. I think that's good advice.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • I am so glad I got all your guys advice!! Playing backing tracks is not a substitute for playing with others and there is nothing better than the feeling of when you are developing your solo and everyone in the room collectively 'feel the vibe' and raise their playing to match you. Amazing!!! Also the fun of working out starts and finishes of songs is brilliant. Something simple like 'come in after 3' can appear so straightforward but in practice can have the room in stitches. I would recommend to anyone and everyone! Thanks for giving me the confidence to get out there!!! :-bd
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Playing to backing tracks is good for practicing/learning songs/techniques.

Playing with other musicians polishes these.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    and @Georgie it's fantastic that you're enjoying your playing so much.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited September 2014
    Right time to join a band is about 12 noon when the pubs open and you can bond over a few beers! >:D<
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    If ya know what key it's in, where yer fingers need to go at an approximation of 'when' they need to go there, and you know the song enough to keep the drummer happy (the bassist will be watching you, and the singer will be doing something else entirely, at least that's how it works in our band), then you'll be just fine.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."