Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Amps / Live

What's Hot

Comments

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6385
    2x12 is a better sound by far - if it's too heavy you can always replace the speakers with Neodymium magnet ones.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Hmmm, reckon I should go for it then!?
    New is £460. Seen they sell for £200+ used. I'd get it for £360 (or maybe the guy would do £400 which'd include the footswitch).
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17555
    edited October 2014 tFB Trader
    24kg is fine for a big amp. It's 30kg + where it starts to be an issue.

Big and heavy = bigger and better sound. 

My little 1x12 valve combo is 25kg and I walk about with it in one hand and my guitar in the other. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • You must be Hulk Hogan lol
  • So... £400 for 2x60W Blackstar ID:TVP new + footswitch. What do you reckon?
  • Cheaper than a £1k+ all-tube affair. Cheaper than the HT Club 40.
    Bugger it, think I'll get it.
  • Jalapeno said:
    2x12 is a better sound by far - if it's too heavy you can always replace the speakers with Neodymium magnet ones.
    Not on an ID amp. They sound good with the stock speakers, and basically crap with anything else.
    <space for hire>
    Right everyone shut up now and let this thread die =))

Feedback
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That's actually quite light for a 2x12. My Egnater Rebel 30 2x12 is 88lbs which is 40Kg. While it's liftable I generally move it on it's (optional) casters when I can. Trem-o-verbs are even heavier at around 100lbs (45Kg).
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Jalapeno said:
    Right everyone shut up now and let this thread die =))

I think there's more chance of me becoming an astronaut.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598

I've been in a similar situation to the OP. For years, I played SS amps because I tend to run my amps clean and get dirt from pedals. I find I can get a lot more variety that way. I did wonder what all the fuss was about tube amps so purchased a 15w Laney Cub head to run through a separate 12" cab. Sounded OK but not enough clean headroom to get over a drummer without micing. Sold that and got a Vox Night Train 50 head. That certainly does the clean volume thing very well! But, I still tend to run it clean and use pedals for dirt....For solid state amps, I have a Roland Cube 60, a Cube 80XL and a Tech 21 TM60. (The TM60 is for sale, not that it helps the OP as he's the other end of the country!) All of the SS amps have enough volume for gigging clean without micing and doing it this way, I don't see/ hear a great deal of difference in the basic clean tones. They all have pretty good EQ sections so I can get them all to sound similar. None of them require maintenance and all take pedals well. The TM60 has the advantage of an effects loop but that is only really a benefit if you use the distortion/ overdrive from the amps - if you use pedals for dirt, I'm not convinced an effects loop is necessary.

For home use, the SS amps are more flexible - they all have headphone outs and direct line outs as well and they all play nicely at low volume. THe line outs are useful for gigs too as I can easily run a line to the PA if I need more oomph or better spread. Rarely need to on the gigs I do though, but its nice to have the option.

Good luck with the search!

• Lol!!

OK, I ordered it!
    The guy seem pleased to do it all for £400. Damn, think I could have got some more dosh off lol.
  • Good post, Beexter!
    Unsure whether I'll use pedals into a clean channel or try to use the FX loop on the amp and use it's distortion (that means I'd have to use not only my own pedal board but the footswitch I just bought with it!).
    tFB Trader
    What FX do you use live?
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited October 2014
    My FX:

Distortion, delay, boost (important!), maybe some chorus, wah. I'll have to figure out what I'm doing because I can't use my pedal-board AND the amp's board!
    Why ever not ?

Feedback
  • Two boards!? Seems extravagant and a recipe for disaster, no?
    tFB Trader
    I don't see why not.

Well wah, boost and distortion are going to go up front so you could just use the chorus and delay on the amp and you are away. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • If I used my own FX pedals I'd use only the clean amp channel and go straight in, no FX loop. 
    But at the same time, I'd want to use some of that amp's valve-like goodness... will play around with it when I get it..
    tFB Trader
    It would seem a shame to have all that filthy goodness and not use it (says the man with the non master volume amp)